PDA

View Full Version : LSA Certification in UK?

Flying_Anorak
9th May 2013, 12:07
Hi All,

As usual I've managed to get myself into a state of informed confusion about the various 'micro-light' type aircraft that are available to fly in the UK following my trip to Aero. Please excuse my 'newbie' ignorance in this field, but can anyone explain simply what the various options are these days?

I presume that if an aircraft does not have an EASA type certification then it has to be on an LAA Permit To Fly (I am an LAA member) but I'm confused by the VL / UL & LSA categories that various manufacturers seemed to be advertising.

For example, I am particularly keen on the Shark from Shark Aero (SHARK.AERO :: ultralight :: aircraft :: LSA (http://www.shark.aero/?lang=en)) which is advertised as a 'European UL' but does not, I understand currently have UK certification. If this is the case, is it a realistic option to try and get it certified or approved for use in the UK or am I into a world of (expensive) pain?

I understand that LSA aircraft seem to have a higher MTOW (600kg as opposed to 480) but I always thought that LSA was a US only certification so I'm suprised to see the Sportscruiser and Sting S4 advertised as UK LSA's?

Grateful for any help or clarification that anyone can give this glider, SSEA & SLMG pilot!

Thanks,

FA

bartonflyer
9th May 2013, 13:37
FlyingAnorak

It certainly does get confusing!

I own a CTLS which operates under an "EASA Permit to Fly" (EASA Form 20a) - this is qualified by a further form "Conditions associated with EASA Permit to fly" which states that the aircraft must be operated with the conditions & restrictions as listed in EASA Form 18b (that is the Approval of Flight Conditions for a Permit to Fly), and must have a Permit-Maintenance Release in accordance with BCAR A3-7

The aircraft itself (which in the US is in the Light Sports Category) has a "Statement of Conformity" provided by the manufacturer which confirms that the "EASA Permit to Fly" is in effect as long as the aircraft is consistent with the document "EASA Permit to Fly - Flight Conditions" That document details the build of the aircraft, weights, airspeeds, standard equipment etc etc and no variations can be made unless approved to go into that document.

And EASA was supposed to be simplifying things?