PDA

View Full Version : Odd request - finding old air fares

Hokulea
9th May 2013, 09:01
Apologies for this strange request, but am trying to help a colleague who has not quite followed the rules and has booked flights without first going through the process of getting approval and showing they are reasonable fares compared to other airlines or travel companies.

Is there any website you know of that tracks fares and will let you know what a typical fare was, say for a trip between the US and Asia, a month ago? I know there are a couple of sites that try and predict fares, but this is the other way round. I suspect there aren't but am always surprised about what turns up on the internet but haven't found anything myself.

Many thanks in advance.

Hartington
9th May 2013, 11:47
Find a friendly travel agent who knows their way around a GDS. Those systems all have ways of looking up historical a-b fares. Calculating complex itineraries however is a different matter.

ExXB
10th May 2013, 06:30
Or contact the airline. They need historic fare information for refund calculation reasons. It may be their refund or accounting department if more than a couple of months old.

ATPCo - Airline Tariff Publishing Company (should be googlable) will have historic price information for most network airlines. Not sure if they would be willing to give non-customers the information.

In both cases I suspect that you would only get published prices, rather than fare quotes so I hope the journey was a simple out and back!

Hokulea
10th May 2013, 06:52
Thank you, Hartington and ExXB, for your helpful replies. Going to a travel agent is not something I had considered so that might be very helpful. The itinerary is straight forward so that shouldn't be an obstacle. I also found out today that when my colleague first inquired about fares it was done though a travel agency, so I think that's where we'll go if that's what's needed.

Thank again!