PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance for pilots

QDMQDMQDM
8th May 2013, 14:35
Hi,

Which companies do this in Australia to cover you for flight as a pilot or passenger in a non-commercial operation?

Thanks,

David

tail wheel
8th May 2013, 19:44
I think you are talking life (injury and death cover) insurance, not travel insurance?

Tankengine
8th May 2013, 21:57
Travel insurance for Pilots is a real problem once you look into the fine print.
Bupa IHI ( Denmark, not the Australian company) was the best I found for a USA trip with flying involved ( competition gliding).

MartinCh
9th May 2013, 02:19
Traffords are UK based. Used them few times. Obviously, stuff like inclusion of USA and helicopters increases the premium.

QDMQDMQDM
9th May 2013, 02:22
Thanks. I have used Traffords when in the UK. Turns out QBE travel insurance in Australia has no exclusion for private aircraft. The schedule didn't mention private aviation and I emailed them to make sure and they confirm it is not excluded. Useful bit of info.

MartinCh
9th May 2013, 18:48
sure.
btw, last time I was in the USA, I had policy for rotary, fixed and including flight instructing (myself). I may look into some policies for flying in Australia, but looks like the comprehensive policy of AFAP isn't bad. There's few suggestions on Aus/NZ based heli forum as well.

For me, the Traffords is better until I'm more settled in Australia as it's still valid if I swap countries in Asia Pacific etc.

QDMQDMQDM
10th May 2013, 09:01
Just watch out Traffords doesn't have UK residence requirements for your insurance to be valid.

LeadSled
11th May 2013, 07:40
Folks,
BUPA Denmark is widely used by people in the aviation sector, and has a good reputation.
For anyone traveling as a passenger who is not in the aviation field, it is still a very good deal, compared to any I have looked at in Australia. The rates are very good.
My personal experience is that they have been easy to deal with, but I haven't had to claim, so I can't say much about claims experience.
Tootle pip!!

QDMQDMQDM
13th May 2013, 04:09
World nomads, which seems to use IHI BUPA, aka BUPA Denmark, as underwriters doesn't cover flying as crew: World Nomads - Policy Wording: Certain underwriters at Lloyd's (AUS) effective 14 Feb 2013 (http://www.worldnomads.com/policy_wording.aspx?pid=8468cb50838747d8943ce636e9abb1cd#sec tion8)

But the brochure for travel insurance from BUPA Denmark itself does not specifically exclude flying as crew or passenger in non-commercial aircraft, so I shall investigate and report back here, but from what LeadSled says it sounds another option with QBE and Traffords: Download travel insurance brochures ? Worldwide Travel Options (http://global.ihi.com/Travel+Insurance/Downloads.aspx)

Old Akro
13th May 2013, 06:24
Just to muddy the waters a bit more. Another factor is what the company is like at actually paying out.

A mate who is senior in an Australian Hospital group says the one they have least trouble with is Covermore. Because I go to Thailand a fair bit, I asked a mate at the Royal Bangkok hospital. He said they had no trouble with any of the Australian based insurers.

Travel insurance is dramatically cheaper via the web than via travel agents, etc. I have an annual multi trip policy with QBE, primarily because it was one of the cheapest.

QDMQDMQDM
14th May 2013, 10:23
Confirmed as Leadsled said, BUPA Denmark does cover you, but World Nomads, which uses BUPA Denmark as an underwriter, does not. So, we have Traffords (not sure if they cover Aussie residents, but they seem very flexible), QBE and BUPA Denmark. From BUPA Denmark:

Dear David,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are pleased to inform you, that the insurance covers flying as pilot, crew or as a passenger in a non-commercial aircraft.

In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Lea Holst (Ms)

Lea Holst | Customer Consultant | Travel Customer Service | ihi Bupa Travel | Palaegade 8 | DK-1261 Copenhagen K | Denmark

Bupa Denmark, filial af Bupa Insurance Limited, England
Tel: + 45 70 20 70 48 - Fax: + 45 33 32 25 60
E-mail: [email protected], web: ihi Bupa - Buy health and travel insurance online (http://www.ihi.com)

Paulinos
24th Aug 2019, 13:11
I think you are talking life (injury and death cover) insurance, not travel insurance?

Hello,
Yes, I think that he should subscibe a personal accident insurance...

djpil
25th Aug 2019, 08:41
.... I have an annual multi trip policy with QBE .... QBE no longer sells travel insurance.

One of my usual insurers has this exclusion: "intentionally or recklessly places themselves in circumstances, or undertakes activities, which pose a risk to their personal safety (except in an attempt to save a human life)" and I didn't like their response when I asked about this in relation to competing in an aerobatic contest.

LKinnon
25th Aug 2019, 11:21
Not sure if this answers the original question, but when I travel overseas (RPT flights) I always pay with an American Express card. Gives me free travel insurance, including health cover. It's the cheapest and easiest traval insurance.

BigPapi
25th Aug 2019, 11:51
You're a genuine piss-take aren't you LKinnon

cirrus32
26th Aug 2019, 01:39
I've had to claim with IHI Denmark (skiing related accident, not aviation). No problem with the claims process, really easy to deal with and no issues paying out the full amount of the claim.

cooperplace
26th Aug 2019, 07:17
I recently took out a travel insurance policy to go to the US, and declared that I intended to hire and fly a C152 there. No problem, the policy only excluded competitive sports.