PDA

View Full Version : Ford Airfield Runway

primreamer
8th May 2013, 13:40
primreamer's Library | Photobucket (http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/primreamer/library/)

Hello all,
I visited Ford Airfield Rifle Range at the weekend in West Sussex. The western end of the old runway is used for shooting and I was puzzled by the installation shown in the above link at the runway threshold area. The group of ten holes cut into the concrete are similar in size to the runway edge lighting inlays and extend towards the centreline. There is a similar installation on the opposite side of the runway.
Any thoughts as to what they were used for?

Wyvernfan
8th May 2013, 15:34
Interesting photo taken at one of my favourite airfields. These are also visible if you zoom in to the same western end runway in the link below

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=50.811853&lon=-0.602413&z=19&m=b)

You might get an answer on the superb Airfield Information Exchange website

Rob

Fareastdriver
8th May 2013, 18:20
Ford used to be an FAA station at one time. It is possible they are training aids for carrier landings.

chevvron
8th May 2013, 20:05
I was going to suggest that maybe they marked the position of an arrestor cable, but they're too close to the end of the runway for that, so maybe it's an FAA method of illuminating the runway threshold?

Lordflasheart
8th May 2013, 21:59
Wouldn't they just be the fixed receptacles for standard semi-recessed, unidirectional 1950s style runway end lights ? In this case, threshold wing bars. First row green pointing at the landing aircraft. The other row red - pointing the other way to mark the running off end. Wouldn't want them sticking up to get in the way. Would want them at the end so you could use all the runway. Touchdown by day was de rigeur "on the numbers" - no different at night :ooh:. Nothing sinister or salty either I suggest, and quite hi-tech at the time - only just out of the 'gooseneck as standard' era by the time Ford closed. LFH

DaveReidUK
8th May 2013, 21:59
Ford used to be an FAA station at one time. It is possible they are training aids for carrier landings. Yes, Ford (like many, if not most, RNAS stations) was equipped for Mirror Assisted Dummy Deck Landings (MADDLS).

BOAC
9th May 2013, 07:18
My first thought was MADDL too, but I would have expected the installation to be off the side of the runway?

Wander00
9th May 2013, 07:20
I remember 1953 on holiday at Bracklesham Bay watching aircraft attacking a target in the sea off West Wittering - guess they must have been Seahawks and others from Ford

4Greens
9th May 2013, 07:29
MADDL kit was always at the left side of the runway. Same side as a carrier mirror.

KING6024
9th May 2013, 09:06
I can remember a family holiday at Hayling Island in the early 1950s watching Attackers doing their thing on some offshore targets,very entertaining for a 12/13? year old boy.Rockets and cannon fire I think.
Colin

BOAC
9th May 2013, 09:21
MADDL kit was always at the left side of the runway. Same side as a carrier mirror. - indeed, but actually ON the runway?

Lordflasheart
9th May 2013, 11:45
"But actually ON the runway ?" No fear !

The airfield version of the mirror landing sight involved a large yellow wheeled chariot which was usually jacked up on a permanent concrete base well clear of the left hand side of the runway. It was subject to regular, perhaps daily calibration. Depending on the operational needs of the base and local considerations it lived there (to be switched on as required) or was wheeled out when needed. There might conceivably be a MADDL-specific "centreline" painted on the runway towards the left hand side, but no other markings.

Op needs - Was it a home for front line squadrons that would need regular practice prior to embarkation ? Local considerations – The MADDL circuit was necessarily left hand, tight and flown at 450 to 600 ft. You might find a couple of chaps doing half a dozen or more each, in a continuous session, so you could quickly upset almost anyone. Occasionally someone would sit by the sight and perhaps offer advice, but there was no routine attendance such as by an LSO.

Example - You can see a selection of likely concrete bases for R/Ws 09 and 27 at Yeovilton – along with the probable arrestor gear and papi stuff. MADDLS at Lossie were usually done at Milltown because of local constraints.

The pic is an Australian example.

I still favour (see OP) the idea of "receptacles for semi-recessed uni-directional threshold lights/wing bars." LFH.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj632/LFH99/AerodromeMirrorSight_zps1f172e53.jpg?t=1368098532

BOAC
9th May 2013, 12:11
No fear ! - my point in answer to the suggestion the item might be a MADDL base.

primreamer
10th May 2013, 10:04
Many thanks for your replies everyone. Another question, if dummy carrier approaches and landings were being practiced would there be markings, either on the runway or at the side, that would signify a carriers flight deck length limit?

Lordflasheart
10th May 2013, 10:22
There might conceivably be a MADDL-specific "centreline" painted on the runway towards the left hand side, but no other markings.

No carrier deck paintings required. If you couldn't make the touchdown (no flare remember) within a few feet of the required spot (and within a knot or so of the roger) you wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a MADDL, let alone near a Carrier. :) LFH