PDA

View Full Version : Geneva to Minneapolis - any recommendations?

Octopussy2
7th May 2013, 14:31
I have to fly from Geneva to Minneapolis in the autumn. Beyond knowing that you can't fly direct, and that some American carriers are less than good and should be avoided if possible, I am absolutely clueless as to the best way to do this.

Does anyone have any advice? I collect airmiles with Star Alliance, so that may also be a relevant factor.

Any tips to make the trip as painless as possible will be very gratefully received!

ExXB
7th May 2013, 15:33
Have you tried Last Minute Ferien Urlaub und Reisen buchen mit über 110.000 Hotels - www.ebookers.ch (http://www.ebookers.ch?)

If you want a transatlantic flight into MSP then it would be KL/NW via AMS. Star would be CO/UA via EWR/iAD. Not sure but AC might be possible via YUL/YYZ

Heathrow Harry
7th May 2013, 15:48
ahhhh Northwest - the American Aeroflot............

MathFox
7th May 2013, 18:48
If you go for "less stops is better" there is choice in connections via AMS or CDG with Delta/KLM/AF. That means US immigration in MSP, when you're tired, but delays are less important. There are three flights daily between AMS and MSP, so you can go for minimum connection time if you don't have the last flight of the day.
To earn miles on Star... I saw United options with one stop in EWR or IAD, meaning meeting immigration there and risking to miss the connecting flight, so check connection times and not taking the last flight of the day. Also try to find out whether the connection requires bussing between terminals or just a comfortable indoor walk.

There are several options with two stops: Air Canada, two stops in Canada; LH(+UA) via FRA and ORD... Pick the airline or route you like there. BTW, prices in September are much nicer than with departure in August!

It would help if you tell is what you value (comfort vs. time vs. entertainment vs. free drinks) in what you seek and whether there are budget constraints or you want to fly business or first.

radeng
8th May 2013, 09:09
Going via AMS or CDG is a bit risky with checked baggage. I had some colleagues from Minny-no-place who on a 5 day trip to Maastricht and Copenhagen flew Northwest and KLM: their bags caught up with them when they were back in the US. Some people are lucky: some aren't, and there's been enough horror stories here about KLM as well as about transfer bags at both CDG and AMS to put me off.

The SSK
8th May 2013, 09:25
If you were in Zurich, you could do it on Icelandair via Reykjavik.

Well, it would be different ...

ExXB
9th May 2013, 08:13
GVA -YYZ is a code-share operated by AC. It isn't non-stop either, pax have to get off and go through Canadian customs/immigration in YUL. So GVA-YUL, get off do CND formalities, get back on do YUL-YYZ, get off do US pre clearance, fly YYZ-MSP.

Not sure whose metal is used on last sector.

PAXboy
9th May 2013, 11:34
Depending on time/price/FFMs/etc.

Aer Lingus via Dublin + UA
SAS via Copenhagen + UA
BA via London + AA
LH via Frankfurt + UA
Air France via CDG - 1 stop only
Emirates by starting off going in the opposite direction.

The choices go on and on!

Octopussy2
9th May 2013, 14:51
Thanks, all, for your replies - much appreciated.

Price isn't an issue in the sense that I'm going for work, so I'm not paying, although, tragically, I will be going economy. I'll be flying on a Sunday in November (lucky, lucky me...) and essentially I'd like the least uncomfortable journey possible - and I regard free drinks on flights as a sine qua non of civilized travel!

It's looking like the most convenient option is via AMS on KLM - if anyone has any experience of that route/horror stories/tips, I'd love to hear them!

jackieofalltrades
9th May 2013, 15:20
I've flown from England, connecting in Schiphol to KMSP several times. Each time being KLM to EHAM and Delta to KMSP. All have been without any problem at all. Even had a tight connection of around 40 minutes at Schiphol one time and my bags were there waiting for me at KMSP.

Immigration at KMSP is quite close to where the international gates are, so there's not too long a walk from the plane. It's a pity you won't get Star Alliance miles, but sign up for KLM's Flying Blue.

Immigration at CYYZ can be hit and miss. I've breezed through some times, other trips I've been waiting ages as a whole bunch of 'sun charters' from Florida and the Caribbean have arrived 5 minutes before my flight.

Personally I would recommend the KLM/Delta option via Schiphol.

ExXB
10th May 2013, 06:39
An AC to USA connection at YYZ can be done without going through Canadian formalities, and pre-clearing US formalities there is often a benefit. Just like pre-clearing at Dublin or Shannon.

But the Geneva AC flight stopes in Montreal first where all passengers must clear Canadian C&I!

MathFox
11th May 2013, 12:41
AMS has a single (huge) terminal, so connections are easy. For you it's a bit less easy than for the British, as you are connecting from a Schengen to a non-Schengen flight and (I assume) you would have to pass a quick passport check (Schengen entry or exit).
I have no experience with connecting in Amsterdam, but the queues for immigration at flight connections are shorter than those for departures and arrivals.

cavortingcheetah
11th May 2013, 21:48
KLM/Delta via Amsterdam has always worked well and Delta will sell last minute upgrades to Business Class at the gate for a combination of cash and air miles. This can be especially useful on the return leg.

rmac
13th May 2013, 16:23
Cunard ... ?