PDA

View Full Version : Possible to go inside a Hastings?

Contacttower
7th May 2013, 08:20
Does anyone know if there are any Hastings on display in Europe (or indeed anywhere else...) where one can actually go inside?

ZH875
7th May 2013, 09:09
Hastings T5 serial TG511 at the RAF Museum Cosford. It may, given suitable reasons, be possible to get a visit on board.

It is many years since I was there, but I believe the aircraft is still there.

cyflyer
7th May 2013, 09:26
Don't think there are any conditions whereby the RAF museum will allow anyone to board their aircraft, unless maybe you are the editor of 'Flypast' or 'Airplane' magazines for a pre-arranged official photo shoot. The same probably applies to the IWM's example at Duxford.

ZH875
7th May 2013, 09:52
I have been on the majority of the aircrsft at Cosford,so if you have a valid reason there is no harm in asking. If you don't ask them the chances are always zero.

relight9
7th May 2013, 10:20
The Hastings at Newark Air Museum (TG517) used to be opened up for general public access, for a small charge, several times each year, and may still be (I have not been there for 2-3 years).
Plenty of other types to view too, and access to the Vulcan and Shack was allowed last time I was there (although Vulcan pilots seat access is for the nimble only).

cyflyer
7th May 2013, 14:06
I have been on the majority of the aircrsft at Cosford,so if you have a valid reason
And your valid reason each time was.............?

JW411
7th May 2013, 16:06
Well, I have tried twice to get inside Belfast XR371 which I flew to Kemble from Brize at the end of its life with 53 Sqn. I have also tried to get inside Argosy XP411 which I used to fly in the Middle East with 105 Sqn.

I have yet to succeed.

"It's an insurance problem" is the usual excuse.

JW411
7th May 2013, 16:09
By the way, I sent an email to Duxford, Cosford and Newark offering a Hastings captain's seat free of charge two weeks ago.

The folks at Newark responded immediately.

I have yet to even receive so much as an acknowledgement from Duxford or Cosford.

You will be astonished to learn that the seat is going to Newark!

cyflyer
7th May 2013, 16:35
I have tried twice to get inside Belfast XR371 which I flew to Kemble from Brize at the end of its life with 53 Sqn
Well that is so petty of them. It should be a privelage for them to have one its ex pilots visit the aircraft, with log books to prove. They should even take advantage and take photos "ex pilot visits..." for their newsletters/magazines/website. This to me is the most compelling reason to be allowed to visit a certain aircraft, the pilot himself.

"It's an insurance problem" is the usual excuse.
What a load of crud ! Their loss JW. I would write to the RAF museum's director if I were you. Good luck.

WeeJeem
7th May 2013, 16:50
I'm pretty sure that you can get inside a Hastings (TG305? TG503? something along those lines) at the Allied Museum in Berlin - at least, from late spring through to early autumn, if memory serves me correctly :)

Blue_2
8th May 2013, 11:43
I went aboard Newark's Hastings a couple of months ago when I visited. A friendlier museum you'll struggle to find!

Rossian
8th May 2013, 19:21
....a few years ago I noticed that the Varsity at Newark was the very first RAF aircraft that I flew in. I emailed the museum with the log book entry as my bona fides and asked if I could get in and bring my son and his twins with me.
It was a quiet cold winter's day and not very busy so the a/c was opened up and we had a good nose around.

The staff were were very helpful and friendly. Do go and visit. You won't regret it.

The Ancient Mariner

brakedwell
9th May 2013, 10:32
Sadly, this view will never be seen again! (Mount Kenya - 1958)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/HastKen.jpg

cyflyer
9th May 2013, 18:23
Truely lovely photo brakedwell. You were right hand seat ?

brakedwell
9th May 2013, 18:50
Yes, my first squadron.

JW411
9th May 2013, 19:16
And not a single drop of oil in sight!

Remarkable.

cyflyer
9th May 2013, 21:48
Jenkins, bearing in mind todays 4 1/2 hours in a jet airliner for the same trip, what was it like then in the Hastings ? Noisy, Non-stop or re-fuel somewhere, how many hours ? Intrigued to know what it was like.

brakedwell
9th May 2013, 22:02
My log book shows a spread of 5h - 5.30h Nicosia - Luqa and 6h - 6.30h Luqa - Lyneham. Sometimes we refuelled in Orange if the headwinds were very strong.

scotbill
10th May 2013, 07:35
Having spent 9 months as 2nd pilot on a Hastings crew (lowest form of animal life in the 5 man crew - qualified only to raise gear and flaps and lower them six hours later - with an occasional exciting foray into switching the landing lights on in the dark) I wondered why anyone would want to visit the lumbering beast.

My realisation that I didn't have the patience to be a long haul pilot dawned the day my captain on a Lyneham-Malta decided overhead Luqa that we had enough fuel to continue to Nicosia (empty aeroplane). Total time 11.40

Fortunately by late middle age my metabolism had slowed to the point where long haul was a pleasant relaxation.

Coat, hat etc

brakedwell
10th May 2013, 07:47
Having spent 9 months as 2nd pilot on a Hastings crew (lowest form of animal life in the 5 man crew - qualified only to raise gear and flaps and lower them six hours later - with an occasional exciting foray into switching the landing lights on in the dark) I wondered why anyone would want to visit the lumbering beast.

My feelings exactly. I put up with the job for 18 degrading months before escaping to Twin Pioneers in the Gulf. If it had not been for our 99 sqn Chipmunks and Anson and three months flying the Levant Comm Squadron Meteors at Nicosia I would have gone round the bend with frustration and resigned my commission. :{

Chipmunk6AEF
13th Feb 2015, 18:27
I was looking at the picture posted by Brakedwell, and I was wondering, how common was it for the Hastings to not have the spinners on the props.

India Four Two
14th Feb 2015, 04:15
I also have a Hastings question, which I was reminded of by brakedwell's Mt. Kenya picture.

Why did the Hercules have those baffles in front? For improved cooling? If so, how did that work?

brakedwell
16th Feb 2015, 08:25
It was a long time ago and my memory ain't what it used to be, but ISTR around half of the 99 squadron Hastings sported spinners in 1957/59. They either had all 4 spinners fitted or none at all. I vaguely remember someone telling me the reason for the shortage of spinners was fatigue cracks in the mounting brackets/holes.

aeroid
27th Feb 2015, 17:03
Those were the days when a Captain was allowed to make a decision!

Tankertrashnav
4th Mar 2015, 15:30
I missed this thread until its recent revival. I'd just like to second the favourable remarks about Newark Aircraft Museum. Having helped organise several V Force reunions there I have always found them very helpful and friendly and it is certainly worth a visit.

As regards Hastings TG 517, I had a look round inside on the occasion of our 2014 reunion, first time I'd been in it since 1970/71 when it appeared several times in my logbook. I do however have one complaint. The museum staff seemed to have moved the fixed row of seating at the NBS students' station several inches nearer to the table, as getting in was a much tighter squeeze than I remember ;)

brakedwell
4th Mar 2015, 16:31
TT - I suspect your flying suit might also have shrunk. :E

Tankertrashnav
4th Mar 2015, 23:27
Funny you should say that ... :(

Nav Rad
12th Mar 2015, 10:58
Newark Air Museum (NAM) have one to go inside. It is one of those converted that we trained Navigator Radars for the V-Force before going onto the V-Bombers and I instructed on them. Latterly we trained also Phantom and Buccaneers navigators at 230 OCU RAF Scampton on the radar.
Hence the bulbous radar dome underneath the aircraft. We Nav Radar instructors also used them in the 'Cod War' for spotting Icelandic gunboats (on the radar) harassing our fishing fleet. We used to go on 9 and a half hour trips to Iceland waters and back, detached to Lossiemouth, and also drop mail out of the door to our naval vessels that we were homing in on to the gunboats. Aircraft not open every day as volunteers man it. Telephone Museum to find out when. Trust that helps.