PDA

View Full Version : Training costs ?

Paxi_R6
6th May 2013, 12:43
I have been doing my research on Flight schools Like OAA,FTE & Atlantic Flight Centre Cork (My 3 Preferred schools).

All Different schools but all seem good in there own right.
OAA seems like a good place to go but I am wondering about the overall cost like Accommodation & Food its 96,000 Euro but what is the end cost 100,000 odd ?

FTE cost is crazy at 109,000 :rolleyes: that's for everything though..
Atlantic seems more logical at 65,000 and total cost would be 70,000 ish .

Also is it worth paying to OAA or FTE ? Most likely will end up in FR anyway that would be another 27k to the cost :mad:, I mean does it really matter where you go ?

TeaTowel
6th May 2013, 14:16
As an 18 year old don't saddle yourself with that amount of debt. Go modular, work and pay your way through it.

RedBullGaveMeWings
6th May 2013, 15:41
Absolutely modular!
What I would say is go to PAT in Bournemouth. They estimate £28350 for CPL-ME and IR-ME and fees are included. Add to this £3300 on a full motion simulator (Boeing 747 or 737-200) at European Skybus. The whole thing may take up to six months maximum so allow at least £3000 for rent.
Let's say £5000 for ATPL distance learning with OAA or Bristol GS. I am including hidden costs not payable directly to the ATPL provider, like logistics cost, accommodation and journeys.

Well, these are my estimated and I'm from Italy.

Of course you get your PPL at a flight school or aero club nearby. Allow $10000 for hour building and other costs in the U.S.

You end up spending more or less £50000 for top notch instruction!

Citationcj2
8th May 2013, 22:18
Places likes of OAA are way way overpriced. Just remember, its the licence you get in the end, and weather you train modular or integrated, the license you get is the same.

I know a good few lads in Ryanair, some spend 100k+ with oaa and some about 40k less by doing modular. Both are FO's now,no difference.

Think wisely before you spend your money, you will always need money in aviation.

PURPLE PITOT
9th May 2013, 09:14
Go and get a class 1 medical before you do anything else. Might sound harsh, but you might be wasting your time.

easydebt
11th May 2013, 18:40
I can't support what Purple Pitot recommends, strongly enough!

After all the years I've been flying and the hundreds of cadets I've had the pleasure of working with, I do still occasionally hear of people failing Class One medicals. It's rare, but soul-destroying to those who have already started down the long road to gaining that coveted Frozen ATPL. And expensive too! I am increasingly hearing of existing Class One holders as well as initial applicants, failing with Type II Diabetes and at relatively young ages. This condition is not necessarily a permanent barrier, but having it would put you back several months and nothing is guaranteed.

Oh and from my own experience and that of thousands of others, whatever ATO's quote you - for Modular or Integrated - add 30% contingency for overrun etc. If you definitely cannot afford that +30%, be very cautious. Everything is quoted on mimimums, relatively few attain that. Not saying you will overrun - if you do it could be 1% or 50% - but 30% seems prudent. If you don't need it, that's a bonus, maybe a type rating paid for?