PDA

View Full Version : Downunder to AirVenture 2013

slackie
5th May 2013, 05:38
Is it too early to ask who's making the pilgrimage to AirVenture this year?? Any chance of a bit of a DownUnder PPRuNe meet??

I'm hoping Jerry Yagen and EAA come to some agreement re the Mossie and Me262 'cos I'd love to see both of them airborne over Wittman Field.

Also does anyone have any advice for a first time attendee from NZ?? I'm going to be there all week, probably camping at this stage (although I have a reservation at Uni of Wisconsin). Have heard that you get a better "overall experience" staying at Camp Scholler... opinions?? I've heard that there are usually unofficial groups camping together and that a few Kiwis & Aussies join a larger South African group??

And on the larger trip, I've got 4 days in LA on the way back and have rented a Mustang convertable - well you've got to really don't you?? Plannning on visiting some aviation attractions on the way home... thought about Planes of Fame (Chino), maybe Van Nuys for a local flight, Palm Springs (don't really know why??), then USS Midway Museum down in San Diego... any other suggestions??

Cookie7
5th May 2013, 10:29
I'm going over on July 27, returning Aug 8.
Over via LAX, MSP. Return direct via LAX. VA both ways, Delta internal.
I know of a few others on here who've made contact and confirmed their trips.
International BBQ I guess will be the meeting point.

Jabawocky
5th May 2013, 10:42
The whole thing is A1 AWESOME

I think Mrs Jaba is running a tour for 2014.

Selected guests only.

They know who they are, and any ppruners wanting to join may apply by PM.

Mick.B
5th May 2013, 10:47
Me and a mate leave Melb on the 28th straight to Green Bay. 1st timer so cant wait. I recon a good night on the gas would be a great idea.:ok:

Jack Ranga
5th May 2013, 11:25
Slackie, there was a very recent thread on this. Lots of advice on it :ok:

Ejector
5th May 2013, 14:30
Where is it please?

Wally Mk2
5th May 2013, 15:08
jabba dabba doo if you don't invite me along in 2014 I'll disown ya buddy!:E
I'd hate to go over there alone, whom else can I slag off about (Mods for Eg) with no one about:E

Wmk2

Amiri01
5th May 2013, 19:51
I can't go but my aircraft should be there. Look for the little red and yellow Lightning Bug.

The Planes of Fame museum at Chino is well worth a visit. I've been there a few times and have enjoyed each visit. Try to do a hangar crawl at Chino while you are there. There are many fantastic warbirds and experimentals hidden away.

I did the Mustang convertible thing while visiting 3 years ago. The missus liked it and now I own one! :ok:

slackie
5th May 2013, 21:03
JackR... did a quick search prior to starting this thread and didn't find anything too current (mind you I guess much of the advice from 3 or 4 years ago is still "current"). Please point me in the right direction!! Oh hang on... found it here (http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/510344-oshkosh-2013-a.html)

Amiri - Not a Ford fan myself so the likelihood of one ending up in my garage is pretty slim but it just seems to be "the thing to do". Might even be a spare seat for a like-minded person - pickup LAX Monday 5th (early), dropoff LAX 8th Aug...ROADTRIP!

Jack Ranga
5th May 2013, 21:45
Me & a mate did the Mustang thing from LAX as I had to get up to Santa Barbara for a bit :E you can't afford it here so you may as well do it there :ok: wasn't much more in price than a 'standard' car. You've got to be a little careful when you hire as they 'upsell' mercilessly, they'll also add crap to the hire if you are not vigilant, query any charges you don't understand. DONOT take their GPS option (expensive) go to a Walmart or something & buy a cheapy :ok: