PDA

View Full Version : Black Arrows aerobatic team

JeanB
4th May 2013, 12:16
I believe that my brother Frank Hegarty was a member of the Black Arrows in the 1950`s.

Can anyone confirm this for me please?

JeanB

Vampiredave
4th May 2013, 13:28
Not Black Arrows, but:

1949: ThreeVampire F.3s of No.247 Squadron, Odiham, Flt Lt F M Hegarty, CaptGreen USAFandPilot I Harris.

1950: ThreeVampire FB.5s of No.247 Squadron, Odiham, Flt Lts R W Bunyan,T WKearton and Fg Off M Hegarty. Fg Off G H Carter (solo display pilot).

1955: FourSabre 4s of No.112 Squadron, Bruggen, Sqn Ldr F M Hegarty, Flt Lt D Heywood, Fg Off C Buttars, and possibly Fg Off R A Brown.

1956:
FourHunter F.4s of No.112 Squadron, Bruggen, "TheSkysharks".

SqnLdr F M Hegarty AFC (replaced by Flt Lt L Jones), Flt Lts K AWilliamson, P J Frame and Fg Off P Reeve.

I hope that this is of interest?

DW

JeanB
4th May 2013, 15:07
Thanks so very much for all the info. I did actually see Frank fly in a display at Odiham in 1949 or 1950 - but did not retain in my mind which squadron he was with at the time, or which aircraft were being used.

I shall now pass this on to other members of our family - so thanks on behalf of them too.

JeanB

Vampiredave
4th May 2013, 15:32
I am delighted that it was of interest. For some reason he appears as a Flt Lt in 1949 and as a Fg Off in 1950? If you care to email me I can send you some more information about his time as a display pilot on 112 and 247 Squadrons.

DW

Herod
4th May 2013, 20:43
Vampires, Sabres and Hunters. Lucky man.

bonajet
6th May 2013, 23:52
Interesting thanks Dave. I'd never heard of the Skylarks and there are, presumably, Lee Jones (Yellow Jacks), Keith Williamson ( AOC38 when the Harriers went to Belize in 75) and Peter Frame ( OC one of the Henlow sqns in 71).

Vampiredave
7th May 2013, 08:06
bonajet: You are correct. The 'Skysharks' team was formed in June 1956 with Hunter F 4s by Sqn Ldr Frank Hegarty, with the aim of gaining the eventual approval of the C-in-C, 2nd TAF. Frank Hegarty left the squadron in September 1956 and the new team line-up comprised Flt Lts Lee Jones, Keith Williamson, Pete Frame and Pat Reeve.

A few shows were given by the team, including as display for the Cinemascope film "What Goes On Over The Skies Of Europe", and at Bruggen for the British Ambassador. By this time the team had also started calling itself "The Skysharks", which was derived from the shark's teeth markings carried onn the squadron aircraft.

In January 1957 Pete Frame stood down with the arrival of Plt Off Norman Lamb, who had previously flown with the 43 Squadron team at Leuchars. The team's last display was at Bruggen on 8 May 1957, prior to the squadron's disbandment.

I hope that this of interest?

DW

bonajet
7th May 2013, 23:35
Yes it was thanks Dave. You are a mine of information.
The Flt Lt v. Fg Off point earlier could be a drop in rank caused by change to a permanent commission? Probably too late to be a change from wartime to peacetime rank.

JeanB
8th May 2013, 05:34
Just to say that Frank was given a Permanent Commission in 1948 - so the apparent drop in rank in 1950 is incorrect. Probably simple typing error way back then!

JeanB (Frank`s sister)

P

Vampiredave
8th May 2013, 08:24
bonajet: I was also intrigued why he dropped a rank and asked his sister, Jean, for some clarification. It appears that he was Flg Off in 1944, a Flt Lt in 1948, a Sqn Ldr in 1953 (?) and a Wg Cdr in 1960. He was, unfortunately, killed in flying accident in January 1962, as reported in an earlier thread on Meteor accidents.

.......a bureaucratic slip of the pen, perhaps?

DW