PDA

View Full Version : Additional flights CL Final

insuindi
3rd May 2013, 21:01
Currently looks as if particularly LGW will get substantial additional traffic from the CL final 25th May, but also additional flights to STN.

All airlines appear to have (where possible) upgraded their equipment on all London routes. Cityjet sees fully booked planes on Sunday LCY-FMO/NUE for first time.

In addition (and this is only what's bookable to the public, and available so far. Tickets get allocated this weekend which should result in another booking frenzy):
LH: Will fly multiple MUC-LGW-MUC
Vueling (!): Whilst Spain won't play, currently 2 MUC-LGW-MUC and 2 DTM-MUC-DTM bookable via their website
Germanwings: Extra DTM-STN-DTM
AB: Additionals on DUS-STN-DUS
FR: Multiple additional flights from NUE, FMM, NRN to STN
Easyjet: Additional services

As I say, I suspect more to follow, and there must be plenty of charters arranged away from the public booking channels. The aprons should see a lot of parked aircraft Saturday->Sunday!

LTNman
3rd May 2013, 22:27
With the exception of Luton isn’t there an early hour’s departure ban at London’s other airports on the grounds of aircraft noise?

compton3bravo
4th May 2013, 03:14
Also practically all German airports are closed between 23.30-0600 so interesting times for the slot co-ordinators! Some prices by easyJet and Ryanair are upwards of 400 Euros single! Germans do not mind paying a bit more but do not like being ripped off!

LTNman
4th May 2013, 04:46
The road journey to Wembley from Dortmund is shorter than a journey from Glasgow so I would have thought many supporters will arrive by coach.

Phileas Fogg
4th May 2013, 04:50
There's a road from Dortmund to Wembley? ... Pray tell?

Dannyboy39
4th May 2013, 05:40
Even if 2/3 of supporters travel by road, how the hell are they going to get the other third by air? 30,000 supporters = 167 A320s each way!

Many football teams in this country struggle with the logistics getting to Wembley!

LTNman
4th May 2013, 06:01
There's a road from Dortmund to Wembley? ... Pray tell?

Have you heard of Google map? They will give you a route of only 398 miles.:confused:

Dortmund airport only has a smallish terminal which is almost maxed out without football charters.

On the clubs website they state that they only have 24,000 tickets while 250,000 have applied for them in the first 24 hours. Up to 500,000 requests are expected to be made.

virginblue
4th May 2013, 08:02
For the Dortmund supporters, CGN, DUS, FMO, PAD and NRN are all within easy reach - not all Dortmund supporters live in Dortmund proper. Best suited are probably CGN and FMO as both have lots of spare terminal capacity and decent operating hours.

However, I guess a lot of traffic will be bus + ferry. Unlike other champions league finalists of the past, both teams are based not that far away from London, and Munich has a German-wide supporter base, so we are not only looking at Bavaria based Munich fans.

Phileas Fogg
4th May 2013, 08:10
LTNman,

You'll have to trust me on this one ... There is no road to Wembley from Dortmund.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th May 2013, 09:12
<<There's a road from Dortmund to Wembley? ... Pray tell?

Have you heard of Google map? They will give you a route of only 398 miles.>>

But isn't there some water in the way?

ATNotts
4th May 2013, 10:36
Phileas Fogg

I use the road regularly - OK for 30 odd miles it's a rolling road, on rails, but with London to Dortmund being little more than 7 hours, including checking in at Eurotunnel driving has got to be a better bet than flying from the Ruhr.

One thing though, there'll absolute chaos at the UK Border in Coquelles unless the UKBA gets real - and with UKIP's performance this week,that's never going to happen!

Phileas Fogg
4th May 2013, 10:48
ATNotts,

In a previous life I lived and worked in Oostende, Luxembourg and Netherlands for some 6 years thus I'm fully familiar with the means of crossing the English Channel, in those days I utilised ferries to/from Oostende, Dunkerque, Calais and on one or two occassions, underground fire permitting, I used the train tunnel.

But none of these are a road, they have yet to build a road tunnel/bridge :)

insuindi
4th May 2013, 11:34
Many German airport has restricted night time hour operations indeed, however, for special events such as this they are known to be relaxed. Would be handy for Vueling in any case, as their DTM flights currently are planned into DTM 30mins before usual opening time of DTM....

cairnfield
4th May 2013, 18:32
Got to love the smart arse brigade in here with regards to arriving from by coach etc

racedo
4th May 2013, 19:44
But none of these are a road, they have yet to build a road tunnel/bridge

It is possible to drive from one to the other as service tunnel at Folkestone to Calais is more than capable of taking vehicles.

Phileas Fogg
5th May 2013, 00:07
It is possible to drive from one to the other as service tunnel at Folkestone to Calais is more than capable of taking vehicles.

OK, try driving Dortmund to Wembley thru your service tunnel!

The train being referred to as a "rolling road" :) , what's a cross channel ferry, a "floating road"? ... And I guess that a hovercraft is/was a "flying road" and a seacat is a "dual carriageway" :)

strawberry Ribena
9th May 2013, 22:08
Workfor a ground handler at lgw- been informed lufthansa will be bringing in an A380 for the game! Excited!

insuindi
13th May 2013, 21:12
"A380" remains unconfirmed.

Even Cityjet has put on two additional rotations on LCY-FMO-LCY for the weekend of the final.

Ryanair has added numerous more flights since the first post, as has LH to/from LGW. Vueling has also added a third additional flight from/to DTM and MUC each.

yorky66
18th May 2013, 16:55
LH 380 will come Sun...only if Munich win !..Yeh I know !

davidjohnson6
18th May 2013, 22:48
In 2008 a very large number of Chelsea and Man Utd supporters managed to travel approx 1,500 miles to Moscow where EU airline freedoms do not apply. Contrast 2 very wealthy countries (the UK and Germany are still rich compared to most of the rest of the world with a transport infrastructure that is excellent (even if some still moan).

Airlines are laying on extra capacity without needing to be prompted. The Eurostar can carry 800 people per train from Brussels. London coped very well indeed with the Olympics. If a football supporter in Germany wants to come to London next weekend it will not be difficult.

compton3bravo
19th May 2013, 04:58
UK transport infrastrucutre that is excellent - you are joking aren´t you! Just over 60 miles of high-speed train, roads which are potholes interrupted by tarmac - have you tried driving or getting a train from say Norwich or Cambridge to Oxford and as for Heathrow - the busiest international airport in the world soon to be overtaken by Dubai incidentally - well plus the price of fuel and train tickets compared to most of continental Europe and North America.

davidjohnson6
19th May 2013, 10:15
compton - I am reluctant to respond to your comment on this thread so as to avoid thread drift. If you are interested, perhaps you could open a thread on Jet Blast where this can be discussed more appropriately ?