PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Licence Conversion

Jacaranda
2nd May 2013, 20:50
Howzit!!:8
I have a South African CPL & M/E IR and I am looking into coming over to Aus to convert my licence. Anybody know of flight schools that offer conversion training? I have been looking into Airbourne Aviation in Camden, NSW. Has anybody had any previous experience with them?
After I have converted I would ideally like to find a job, however I have relativley low flight time (226hrs total to be exact) and I'm not sure what the Australian market is like at the moment in terms of job opportunity? Is there any likelihood of me finding a job? Location isn't an issue for me, I would move anywhere:sad:
Thanks so much!
Jacs

On Track
2nd May 2013, 22:35
Hello Jacs,
I've rented aircraft from Airborne Aviation at Camden from time to time and have been very happy with the service. They are probably not the cheapest around but most of their aircraft are modern and well maintained.

Old Akro
2nd May 2013, 22:46
Don't forget you'll have security clearance ASIC issues as well. And with low time you'll be competing with a long line of Australian guys. If you'll move anywhere, I'd have a look at SE Asia. I'd also investigate a JAR licence and what opportunities that might hold. If you can get a JAR licence near to home it might be a useful thing.

seneca208
2nd May 2013, 23:19
Surely there are better opportunities closer to home? Bots and Namibia would be full of South African pilots I would have thought.

Jacaranda
3rd May 2013, 12:27
Unfortunatley the aviation industry here has been hit really hard with the recession and bush flying which is what I am interested in is extinct. I have been up to Nam & Bots but their min hours for internationals is 800hrs because their governments want them to hire local guys. Oh no sorry by location I meant anywhere in Aus, in fact I would like it if it was in the middle of no where.

MartinCh
4th May 2013, 15:14
800 hours now for expats in Bots on Nam? Climbing steadily, I see. I wouldn't call it 'extinct' as there will be bush GA aviation, just not so easy to sort jobs all time. This gov't policy will only work so long till the take it down again. Anyway, bit OT.

I can't advise on value for money or cost for airplane multi IR conversion (I think you'd be fine doing SE ONLY, which is pretty much complex by definition for flight test, as with your time, unlikely to get twin gig in Australia even if lucky) Still whack more than what you're used to, paying back home.

If you're only able to do Working Holiday and don't have any long(er) term plans and realistic strategy, your options would be also limited. It's up to you to consider risk vs reward for your case and expectations.

If you decide to go ahead, get ARN number done, Class 1 initial medical (there are CASA DAMEs around the world, listed on web), while visiting DAME, get photocopies of your docs as per the advice on CASA website, certified/notarised. Saves hassle later. Both validation request/CoA application, which is 3months temp licence for training/conversion purposes. ASIC can be applied for once you arrive, but if you want stuff speedy way, get it filed with all docs (if you can) couple weeks befor arriving, as they can only 'check' your immigration status once you're onshore. You can let them know of your arrival date.

As for theory, there are few distance study schools. I got Bob Tait's books, best value regarding international postage and good CS from my experience. You'd need to pass Air Law and Human factors. Human factors are fairly easy, all common aviation stuff, but I got the book anyway for the MCQ questions practice. I also have to read up on heli specific theory, as it's (A) generally.

If you don't want to waste time, do research on paperwork and get it started. Some things take couple weeks or 6 (like initial medical) so crack on.

Jacaranda
4th May 2013, 15:59