PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Examiner Qualifications at SimuFlite

FlyTCI
2nd May 2013, 14:30
Hi all,

I transferred my FAA C750 type to my JAR CPL fATPL certificate and
I'm now in the process of trying to set up an ATPL check ride at SimuFlite in Dallas to unfreeze my ATPL. However, the CAA in Sweden keep saying the examiner I am to use is not authorized to perform an ATPL ride. As of September of last year the UK CAA has granted certain examiners at SimuFLite the right to perform an ATPL ride without having a JAR/EASA certificate themselves.

The person responsible for the whole JAA/EASA program at SimuFlite insists the examiner has the authorization, and the examiner himself told me the other day he has already done an ATPL ride.

The problem is they don't have a LOA where it clearly states he can do ATPL rides, only a copy of the examiners Licensing Certificate with reference to the FCL supposedly stating his authorization (See below) I have submitted this certificate but the Swedish CAA still denies his authorization. On top of this certificate I have also submitted his LOA which does clearly state his ability to perform JAA instructions in general, including OPC and LST rides.

I've been trying to google the FCL reference on his certificate stating this, but as I've mainly flown on my FAA I'm not very familiar with JAR FCL.

This is what the Licensing Certificate states under 'Privileges and Conditions":

SFE(A) C750(FFS): FCL 1000(c)(2) applies, FCL 1005.SFE applies as in (a)(1)to(a)(3) and OPC.

SFI(A) C750(FFS): FCL900(c)(2) applies, FCL 905.SFI applies as in (a)(c) and (c)(2)

It would be great if someone here could decipher whether or not this shows his authorization to do the ATPL ride. If not I will have to push for further for additional paperwork.

JetFlux
8th May 2013, 10:59
JAR FCL no longer exists and was replaced by EASA Part FCL.

There is a difference between the privileges granted to the examiners who actually hold an EASA license and those who are granted them on basis of them holding an ICAO equivalent (ie FAA). It is likely that the examiner in question although has a SFE or TRE issued by an EASA competent authority, he is issued this based on his FAA qualifications....ie he does not actually hold an EASA license. This is a pretty common situation for the FlightSafety and Simuflite guys in the US.

For those examiners who hold this sort of qualification they are granted the privilege of completing an LST for type ratings, but not for the initial issue of an ATPL....this is normally reserved only for an examiner who actually holds an EASA issued license.

However....having said that, the privileges and conditions you list above 'include' (a)(3), which is (3) skill tests for ATPL(H) issue; It would not be normal for this to be granted to a non-EASA licensed examiner. However if this privilege is as stated he should be competent to complete an LST for ATPL issue.

EASA Part FCL is very new and most of Europe only fully adopted it as of April 2013. There have been plenty of teething problems so far.... for example check FCL.1015(c) which requires the examiner to have been briefed by the competent authority of the applicant, and given specific permission to carry out the check. If the examiner hasn't received a briefing by the Swedish CAA and received a specific permission to carry out your LST, then it is unlikely to be accepted. Any examiner who wants to complete a skill test or proficiency check on a Swedish applicant must have received a briefing and by granted permission to complete the check/test.

Good luck....

FlyTCI
8th May 2013, 13:12
Thanks for the very detailed reply Flux, I'm sure this will help others in the future.

I also posted this question in a second forum. As you can see there it all ended well.

http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/513883-atpl-examiner-qualifications-simuflite.html#post7832355