PDA

View Full Version : Second rate effort but flying a jet

Propellers
30th Apr 2013, 13:41
Hello 1st post for me, having read pilots petes story of hard work and determination (this thread is on the sticky) I thought I would share my story which is quite the opposit just for another point of view.

I started flying about 2 years ago, I just sort of started going for something to do, didn't have a big passion or anything like some story's I have read.

Anyway I had my PPL and decided I would go on and get a CPL and instrument rating all throughout my training I failed all my exams and didn't study hard (not because I'm in idiot, just I am not motivated) anyways I passed my exams at the 4th a 5th attempts on all the various CPL subjects.

I failed high school and got F & G grades, never went to college so I was quite surprised I could get through these exams at all.

Anyways I went on to buy a type rating on the A320 of which I failed the check ride and theory exams but I just scraped through at 2nd attempt

I then bought 500 hours of line training and started flying with an airline on the A320 again lots of problems and my knowledge to this day is very poor I feel I know very little, anyways I somehow managed to get away with murder and was checked to the line, after my line training finished I was offered to stay on with the company and am half way through the 18 month contract I was offered.

After reading pilot petes story I feel I little shame, I certainly don't think I deserve to be here but hey I'm here, I wouldn't exactly say I love it, it's a job just like any other at the end of the day and I dread going to work sometimes because I hate early mornings and night flights.

Although my knowledge of basic aeronautics is poor I am a safe operator of the A320 as like anything if you do something enough it becomes hard wired to your head.

Anyways this is a flip side of the coin to petes story.

Thanks for reading guys:)

G-F0RC3
30th Apr 2013, 14:23
I have a feeling this story is going to annoy a lot of people on here. I do wonder if that was the intention of it? :ugh:

mrpilot
30th Apr 2013, 14:24
Hi Propellers,

I admire your honesty. Some people here would probably give you a hard time for doing pay to fly but your experience is interesting. In the same way that we have no-fault accident reporting to encourage people to be open, I think it is good to hear everyone's story here without stopping them being open.

Can I ask who you work for or at least which country you are based in and how much did the type-rating and 500 hours cost? You certainly are lucky to now have a job that pays. I would love to be flying right now. I completed my training all the way throught to ME-CPL/IR and MCC with ATPL's but have not got the kind of flying job I truly want.....yet!

I think determination is certainly one thing needed in this career. If you don't want to say who the operator is maybe you could send me a PM?

maxed-out
30th Apr 2013, 14:26
Wind up merchant. Only A320 he flies is the Microsoft one.

Moron, troll or take your pick!!

TheBigD
30th Apr 2013, 14:34
Mr Pilot.
a) Props is a troll for one
b) you are a schmuck for considering p2f. Go get some expience otherwise. Save your money; go to the bush, network and in a couple of months something will come up.
c) Northern Flight Simulation has a "great" line training program. I believe the name of the gentleman that will make your dreams come true is a Mr. Khan
d) with that attitude of yours regarding p2f, I hope you NEVER find a RHS job.
Good luck!

mrpilot
30th Apr 2013, 14:46
Hello Big D

I didn't say that I want to do a pay to fly scheme. As it happens I don't want to. But I want to see what Propellers says in response to my message. If there is any truth in what he/she says then I am interested in knowing who the operator is.

Incidentally I have come across various disinterested unmotivated individuals doing pilot training, so I know that they do exist. It is a shame as there are people who really want the jobs. This also happens in other occupations so it's not exclusive to aviation.

Please don't send me disparaging responses including bad wishes for my future. That is completely unwarranted.

I do think members need to be more gentlemanly here.

Thank you.

TheBigD
30th Apr 2013, 14:55
Props is flame bait i.e. a troll.
Dude, you made it sound like you were interested in P2Fing. Since that is not the case then I take back what I said. However, if it is, I stand by EVERY word.
Again, good luck.

mrpilot
30th Apr 2013, 15:05
Thanks Big D. I have no intention of doing p2f. I have worked in the right hand seat through my own efforts as I believe that's how it should be. Some of this work involved walking pax to the aircraft, filling the hot water machine, picking up food for pax, getting ground crew to tow the a/c out of the hangar ready for Captain's arrival, and then usual FO duties on board....monitoring, Plog etc etc. I loved it.

Props most likely is a troll but we can weed out the trolls....let's see what else he has to say.

Exiled Martian
30th Apr 2013, 15:22
Trolling ain't cool bro! Even Ray Charles can SEE through this fictional attempt at weaving a tale.....If there is an ounce of truth to your confession then please do indeed elaborate with mate!

RTN11
30th Apr 2013, 15:48
Who's to say the OP isn't some very experienced captain trying to make a prod at the type of FOs he's been flying with of late?

fungi
30th Apr 2013, 15:48
Good provocation :ok:
And yes, I think, that this post will show us, that we may find in the future wrong people in wrong job, only because "money talks"
:mad:

Propellers
30th Apr 2013, 16:07
Of course the whole ordeal cost a small fortune

The basic flight training £60,000 (a litte more than your average because I wanted to do my multi IFR in a C340 odd I know but It just looked so much cooler than the BE76 they had on offer

£6,000 for my rating + £2,000 for extra training and re-test

£47,000 for line traing

Plus I would say around £10,000 for retaking of exams, extra sims etc

All paid for by my millionaire parents

Perhaps because the money came so easy I felt like I didn't need to work hard I don't know, I worked hard sometimes but I found all the books very boarding and sometimes found myself just booking an exam hoping to fluke it of the 14 exams I managed to pass 1 without even looking at the book, the exams I did pass I rarely got more than th minimum marks required.

Despite being a lazy sod with the theory my flying skills are very good, and even in the sim get complimented on X wind landings etc.

I am from a generation where we want everything now and don't want to work hard for it.

I read people saying your a troll your a joker, but I PROMISE you this is a true story, this is real it happened.

I'm sure I'm not the only one