PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter instruction CAAP or similar?

Arm out the window
30th Apr 2013, 03:54
G'day all,

Am just doing some FI(H) knowledge and skills revision.

There's a CAAP (5.14-2) on Flight Instructor Training (Aeroplane) - does anyone know if there's a similar CASA reference for helicopters?

I'm looking for a list of the required long briefs and their content, as per the aeroplane document. I may just be stupidly missing it somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be in the Day VFR Helicopter Syllabus or in the Helicopter Flight Instructor Manual. The HFIM has a series of topics, but they don't necessarily follow a sequence of long briefs - eg, 'hovering' and 'takeoff and landing to/from hover' are in separate sections, whereas you'd cover both in a single long brief, I'd have thought.

I didn't come through the civil training system so it's not second nature to me, and thought I'd ask the question here on the 'there are no stupid questions ...' principle! I could happily crank up a series of long briefs based on what I think should go in them, but I want to make sure I include all the required info, hence the question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MakeItHappenCaptain
30th Apr 2013, 06:21
I believe CASA did produce a copy of a flight instructor's manual similar to the plank one (an update Pub 45) of several years ago. Will check my stash when I get home and PM you.:ok:

Arm out the window
30th Apr 2013, 07:59
Thanks very much, Capt.

I have got a copy of their Helicopter Flight Instructor Manual issue 3 (Mar 2012) which has some decent gumph in it, but doesn't specifically lay down what the long briefs should be.

Like I said, I could have a good crack at it but I'd rather be trying to produce what they're after first up rather than having to change it all later.

Cheers

ersa
30th Apr 2013, 08:17
The Helicopter instructor CAAP, is still in draft mode, so expect it end of the year......

Arm out the window
30th Apr 2013, 10:40
Ah yep, thanks - I see a reference to it on the CASA website as CAAP 5.14-3, still a work in progress - no published draft or anything as yet unfortunately.