PDA

View Full Version : Taking ATPL exams as a CPL holder - any credit for approved 'classroom' time?

Odai
30th Apr 2013, 02:13
Hello,

I am about to start a distance learning course for the ATPL theory exams.

I am thinking ahead to the 3 year limit on obtaining both the CPL and IR to lock the exams, and have a question that I have been unable to find the answer to in CAP 804.

As I understand it, if I do not manage to finish the IR in time before the exams expire, or I decide to simply not do it and stick to a CPL only, I would then need to resit all the ATPL exams if my plans change again and I want a chance of having an unfrozen ATPL, or the IR exams only if I need an IR with no possibility of 'unfreezing' the CPL/IR combination.

The exams themselves and the studying for them I have no issue with, the biggest pain for me is having to undergo an approved course and taking the time out and expense to attend classroom days to cover the EASA requirements. Simply buying the books, studying, and attending the exams is much, much easier.

If I were to obtain only the CPL license, and want to then retake the expired ATPL exams, would I simply be able to sit the exams given my holding a CPL and having completed an approved ATPL theory course in the past, or would I need to go through the whole thing again and repeat the classroom sessions?

In CAP 804 I cannot find any mention of this scenario, only references to being credited with CPL exam passes when achieving passes for the ATPL course.

Would appreciate any insight into this!

paco
30th Apr 2013, 04:48
Section 4 Part L page 7:

ATP modular course – Aeroplanes
1 Applicants for an ATPL(A) who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at a modular course shall:

(a) hold at least a PPL(A) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago
Convention; and complete at least the following hours of theoretical knowledge instruction:

(1) for applicants holding a PPL(A): 650 hours;
(2) for applicants holding a CPL(A): 400 hours;
(3) for applicants holding an IR(A): 500 hours;
(4) for applicants holding a CPL(A) and an IR(A): 250 hours.

The theoretical knowledge instruction shall be completed before the skill test for the ATPL(A) is taken.

You would have to take whatever course you wanted again, within the constraints above, at the discretion of the head of training.

"the biggest pain for me is having to undergo an approved course and taking the time out and expense to attend classroom days to cover the EASA requirements. Simply buying the books, studying, and attending the exams is much, much easier."

So it is, and everyone else has the same problem. With all of this indecision you have had over the past few months, you could have finished by now.

Odai
30th Apr 2013, 20:01
Hello,

Many thanks for your response.

The delay has mainly been down to the CAA taking their time with my PPL application. I cant start any approved training without the PPL unfortunately.

With regards to my question, is there any chance you are aware how many of those 400 hours would need to be done in a classroom setting, if any?

paco
1st May 2013, 05:24
I wasn't trying to be facetious, BTW :)

You have to send 10% of that study time in the classroom, so 40 hours if you have the CPL(A).

There's nothing to stop a school selling you their notes as a separate item and officially starting the paperwork when you get your licence. We do that all the time because of the delays.

Odai
1st May 2013, 15:18
No worries, thanks again for your help.

40 hours in the classroom versus 65 for the PPL holders, so I'm guessing no training provider is going to bother creating a separate course specifically for CPL holders for the sake of saving that little time. It's also difficult to see how they would structure a course to involve 200 hours less total study when the subject matter is going to be exactly the same no matter what your background is!

I think I'll just time it as best I can to make sure I get the IR in too before the exams expire. :p

With regards to getting started, I have been reading from various materials - old ATPL books, internet articles etc so I should be able to get through it a bit quicker compared to starting from scratch. Fingers crossed! I just didn't want to enrol too soon in case the CAA came up with another reason to delay my application. 3 months and new excuses almost every time I phone up. :bored: