PDA

View Full Version : PNG avgas, accomm and sights

avi8ar
29th Apr 2013, 07:24
Hey everyone,

I will be doing a private flight up to PNG this coming september and was wondering if anyone had any current/recent information as to where I can find avgas, accommodation and what to see/pubs to visit on the mainland only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Most of the people I have contacted for fuel so far don't seem to be overly interested/no longer exist.

Cheers in advance :ok:

falconx
29th Apr 2013, 07:29
Fuel is available we get outs through Singapore fuel services who arrange the local guys and payment is in cash USD

chimbu warrior
29th Apr 2013, 07:44
I hope you have a sense of adventure, along with plenty of common sense.
PNG flying is not to be taken lightly.

Avgas is a real issue, and the best people to talk to are Pacific Energy
Aviation on +675 325 5520. Even MAF have great difficulty getting the stuff, and they are about the only operator left with a substantial piston fleet. Everyone else has gone turbine. It is also highly unlikely that MAF would sell you any, as they go to considerable trouble to get the stuff.

Accommodation is available in most centres, but expect to pay at least double the rate for an equivalent stay in Australia. Google will help you a lot here.

As for scenery, it is truly spectacular (Moresby excepted), with mountains, beaches, islands, waterfalls; whatever you want.

Get some good background info on the places you plan to fly, including talking with local pilots who have been to those places recently. It is very, very different to Australia. Lots of planning will be required.

Good luck, and enjoy the trip.

Lapunbalusman
29th Apr 2013, 10:14
I will be travelling with Avi8ar and the son of another old PNG driver (sadly deceased) on a trip down memory lane. I was there in early 70s and late 70s with Talair, TAA and Air Nuguini but am obviously way out-of-date with fuel supplies etc. Thanks for the info offered and anything else to help us show our sons what it was like in the old days, would be very gratefully received. Will be in my old mate's C185 so it will be nostalgia plus. Was thinking o/n Wewak(and/or Vanimo), Mendi, transit Hagen and Chimbu, o/n Goroka, Madang, Lae, Tufi and POM (if reqd.) Suggestions?

HarleyD
12th May 2013, 21:40
It has been a few years since i was up there but i recall avgas available at Madang and it was the nicest and most relaxed place that i stayed. Beautiful spot. My grandad was there in WW II with the RAAF and loved it there though he hated milne bay whilst he was there.

According to AC-U-KWIK AVGAS and JET both available at Madang. I do not have a current subscription so cannot access phone number sorry. I recall the local GA operator was very helpful (john song or so?) not sure if he even still there.

If you do not have complete WAC coverage (paper) i recall that the big old Readers Digest Atlas of Australia has old Wac for PNG. I know ONC were nearly impossible to obtain not so long ago.

HD

avi8ar
13th Jun 2013, 10:05
Thanks everyone for all the help!
Unfortunately there isn't any spare room in the aeroplane. It would otherwise be great to take someone who wanted to look around and share the adventure.

tinpis
13th Jun 2013, 11:48
Johnny Cheung(Song)... er Sir Johnny now I believe. If he couldnt wangle a tank of avgas out of Madang Im a chinaman.

Tonym3
14th Jun 2013, 01:21
I do not have a current subscription so cannot access phone number sorry. My version says the fuel service at Madang is provided by:

Interoil +675 422 3489

Handling also available from
Air Niugini +675 852 2699 or
Heli Niugini + 675 422 2422

catseye
14th Jun 2013, 02:44
it may be worthwhile talking to Interoil direct for contacts. They had distributed a letter advising that the withdrawl of the RAAF caribou that only drum stock was going to be provided incl Mosbi. Drums were coming from singapore. Last price I remember was 6K per litre

:ok: