PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Conversion Quandary

Proximity
27th Apr 2013, 18:39
I hold an ICAO ATPL, have 5000+ hours, 1300 on a jet type, and I want to convert to an EASA ATPL. My medical file is held by the UK CAA and I have completed all the exams in the UK. I've also the FRTOL and have the MCC exemption.

So the straight forward path seems to be to take an LST on the aircraft I am rated in and send the paperwork off the the UK CAA.

The only issue with this is that there are no simulators for this type in the UK, not even in Europe. The UK CAA says I need to have the LST observed by a CAA examiner, and charges for "overseas work" will apply. Now nobody at a CAA can estimate these charges for me but I can gather that they are both high and you should not be considering this route if you are paying for it yourself. To top this off, under EASA I can't find where it says the CAA needs to observe the check ride. This used to be in the LASORS but I don't see it's equivalent in the mess that is CAP804.

So what other options are there? I have the opportunity to do an LST every six months included in my usual training, so another route seems to be to convert my ICAO ME IR to an EASA IR. Then I can I can just do my LST with an EASA TRE without the need for it to be briefed. It also seems that I can just go do my IR in somewhere cheap like Poland, and sidestep the whole UK CAA examiner entirely.

Another option would be to do a type rating course on a type that has a sim in the UK. Then the logistics of the observed checkride would be simple. Would be expensive, but would be a better use of money then to give it away to pay for a CAA's inspectors mini-bar bill.

What about this option? Move my whole file to a country that is a little more "friendly". Only issue is that they will have to accept my ATPL Knowledge passes from the UK.

The whole process is certianly confusing.

this is my username
28th Apr 2013, 18:49
You might find it easier to go through the process in a more flexible EASA country (eg Poland) and then do a "change of state of licence issue" to the UK to get yourself a UK-issued licence (if that is what you are after).

I have looked at that route as an option to migrate from an FAA to EASA and it all looks quite feasible and less expensive than doing it in the UK. I couldn't comment on how that would work with a jet type though. I guess what you could do is do the conversion on a twin piston type and then EASA will recognise an ICAO type rating if you have >500hrs on type?

I'm not an expert on this I'm afraid, I can only offer the route I have looked at for myself.