PDA

View Full Version : Flight hours for fresh grads

Confidentbeliever
27th Apr 2013, 03:41
I'm considering a Uni education(bachelor in aviation) to become a commercial pilot.. I spent a few days checking online the different airline's career page and realized that they only take in pilots with a min flight hours.. And all the requirements are like above 1500 hours.. If all these companies have such requirement then where on earth can new pilots gain flight hours?

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Apr 2013, 10:30
You'd better try to enter a cadet program or MPL scheme. If you go for the modular route or integrated route without a mentor airline everything will be much harder for you. As far as I am concerned, general aviation is almost non-existent in Singapore but would like to be wrong.

You have to be flexible and willing to relocate. There are several paths for you to gain those minimum hours: instructing, bush flying in remote areas, towing, parachute dropping and everything else that counts towards total flying time.
You will also be required to be in possess of a type rating and at least 500 hours on it. And that's a chore! It's not easy at all.

Remember, the key factor especially for a wannabe is networking, networking and networking. You ought to put yourself in a good position in the aviation community and get to know the right people at the right time.

You may want to use the Search function for more information.

Confidentbeliever
27th Apr 2013, 12:57
You'd better try to enter a cadet program or MPL scheme. If you go for the modular route or integrated route without a mentor airline everything will be much harder for you. As far as I am concerned, general aviation is almost non-existent in Singapore but would like to be wrong.

You have to be flexible and willing to relocate. There are several paths for you to gain those minimum hours: instructing, bush flying in remote areas, towing, parachute dropping and everything else that counts towards total flying time.
You will also be required to be in possess of a type rating and at least 500 hours on it. And that's a chore! It's not easy at all.

Remember, the key factor especially for a wannabe is networking, networking and networking. You ought to put yourself in a good position in the aviation community and get to know the right people at the right time.

You may want to use the Search function for more information.

But I'm actually a female you see.. I'm still a student. SIA stop taking in pilots and what's more is I'm a female. I don't know how to go about networking cuz I'm just a student in a college.. Any advice?

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Apr 2013, 14:14
The only advice I can tell you is don't worry about the fact you're a female. Gender does not assess your skills and attitude to flying.

What about Malaysian Airlines?

You should otherwise give a look at the various MPL and mentored schemes at CTC and OAA.
Modular/integrated route is also a way to go if you can't enter one of those programs.
Once again, just because you're female doesn't mean you can't fly.

The deadliest air crash accident was caused due to a stupid old male Dutch captain!:}

Confidentbeliever
27th Apr 2013, 14:28
Malaysian Airlines don't employ too.
I know Cathay pacific does but I'm not a Hongki.. What's MPL and mentored schemes at CTC and OAA?(I think they are expensive right?)
Modular/integrated route ? I 'm not too sure of these new terms.

Mind explaining?

I'm feeling lost but I really really would want to be a pilot. I'm facing a lot of obstacles. Money, employment and gender in my country.

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Apr 2013, 14:59
MPL is a term used to refer to flight training courses conducted by a training organization with an airline. At the end of the course you fly at least up to 1500 hours to obtain your unfrozen ATPL. If the airline goes burst before you reach 1500 hours, you have nothing in your hand.

As to integrated and modular, I redirect you to this thread: http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/403410-modular-v-integrated-merged-look-here-before-starting-new-thread.html

Confidentbeliever
27th Apr 2013, 15:53
So the ugly truth is..
1)Go to a uni and get connection to get into an airline, if not I'm doomed
2)get cadet ship which is near impossible in my region

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Apr 2013, 19:06
When you say university, you're referring to an aviation-related degree with flight training?

Here in Europe a degree is not a requirement at the time, but I guess you don't have the right to live and work in Europe. Not that bad after all, there are no jobs here at the moment...

Confidentbeliever
28th Apr 2013, 12:25
When you say university, you're referring to an aviation-related degree with flight training?

Here in Europe a degree is not a requirement at the time, but I guess you don't have the right to live and work in Europe. Not that bad after all, there are no jobs here at the moment...

Do u think 10 years from now, being a pilot will be no longer valuable since everything can be replaced by machines by then

redsnail
28th Apr 2013, 21:22
being a pilot will be no longer valuable since everything can be replaced by machines by then
No. There's still a long way to go. Even UAVs need pilots. They just don't sit in the machine.
However, ask the average Joe on the street "would you trust your life to a computer with no human pilot in charge?", "no" would be the answer.

CF, I won't beat about the bush, you do have a tough road to walk. Sing Air have taken on female pilots in the past, (a mate was an instructor at their flight school many many years ago). How you achieve this goal is up to you. Where can you work? What is your ultimate goal? What are you prepared to do/go to achieve said goal?
Unless you're a cadet, most airlines in Asia won't take low houred pilots. So you need to get a job - any job flying a 'plane. From there work it out.
Good luck.