PDA

View Full Version : should I do something ?

localflighteast
25th Apr 2013, 23:41
There is a minor celebrity who shares my first and last name
We obviously have similar g mail email addresses

I've just got an email confirmation from south western airlines with what is obviously their ticket details on it

I don't actually know this persons real email address

I don't really how to contact southwestern or what to say to them
So should I do anything

I guess technically I could turn up and use their tickets !
The passport would match !

EW73
26th Apr 2013, 03:24
Careful about that "The passport would match!" part...

After a couple of times almost missing a flight, I have taken to being much more attentive to the name on the ticket/booking/passport.

You see, I use my middle name as my first christian name, have done since I can remember!

So when the office staff booked tickets for me for international work travel, they simply used the name they knew, and entirely overlooked my actual first christian name.

Come checkin time, the checkin staff determined that the ticket and passport didn't match, and it took much talking and referring to common sense to finally get checked in, good thing it didn't happen whilst I was overseas trying to get back!

Take care! :eek:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Apr 2013, 06:58
It's a scam and nothing to do with your name. I have received several such electronic tickets in recent weeks. Bin them.

vctenderness
26th Apr 2013, 09:29
Same here. I have had about six of these recently. Not sure how the scam works but don't even try to open it or follow it up just bin it.

localflighteast
26th Apr 2013, 10:56
Not email attachments so doubt it is a scam
Also knowing what I do about my namesake the locations are plausible

They are for two different airlines with what look like connecting flights , bit too coincidental for a scam

Agaricus bisporus
26th Apr 2013, 11:01
So forward the email to the airline. Whats difficult about that?

DaveReidUK
26th Apr 2013, 11:58
They are for two different airlines with what look like connecting flights, bit too coincidental for a scamDo you have reason to believe that your "minor celebrity" namesake is sufficiently stupid not to contact the airline re non-delivery of their tickets, if indeed it's a genuine mix-up (which I doubt).

Not email attachmentsSo what exactly are you being invited to do in order to get hold of the tickets ?

If it's a link in the email that you have to follow, you might want to make sure that your anti-virus protection is up-to-date first ...

localflighteast
26th Apr 2013, 14:58
it is not an attachment , it is the actual e ticket contained in the email.
no I didn't click on any links, there aren't any to click on

its the email you get with your booking reference on it.

The email specifically says that "Do not reply to this address" just like the emails I get when I book flights electronically. you know like most auto generated responses from booking something. the airlines in question require you to provide details which I don't have to even get as far as their customer service email address

they may indeed notice , It was late at night, I was bored, just wondered if there was something else I could do.

Now I really don't care

ExXB
26th Apr 2013, 19:27
To answer your question, No - you shouldn't do anything. The passengers should notice that they don't have their e-ticket and they will ask the airline for it.

parabellum
28th Apr 2013, 21:09
Somewhere on the email you have received will be the booking reference, (sometimes known as the PNR), usually about six letters and numbers. Go to the airlines website and punch those details in, that should determine if it is genuine or not, if genuine contact the airline, they will have more detail about the pax and can cross check.

EEngr
29th Apr 2013, 01:09
localflighteast (http://www.pprune.org/members/394283-localflighteast):

There is a minor celebrity who shares my first and last name

Hey Brad. Show up with the ticket and post details about your holiday with Angelina.;)