PDA

View Full Version : Misleading references!

Tinytim
25th Apr 2013, 07:47
Just had a guy , probably the worst, laziest and most basically incompetent and dangerous pilot I have ever flown with. After 6 sectors of line training, quite obvious that the guy in front of us was not one and the same as described in his glowing references addressed " to whom it may concern"

These references were genuine enough from previous employers. Readily apparent however that they were given in exchange for the guy resigning.....thus avoiding the inconvenience of formal disciplinary process and the worry, cost and time of a reference to an Industrial tribunal.

"resign Carruthers and we will give you a good reference"

Tempting to do it........but please dont!:=

EatMyShorts!
25th Apr 2013, 10:58
So, did you ground and dismiss him? Or did you compliment him out, too? :)

steelman
25th Apr 2013, 12:40
If your looking for a good pilot to replace him I am available.

mad_jock
25th Apr 2013, 16:16
Did you not phone up the previous CP or someone that was in the previous company?

jtr
25th Apr 2013, 16:26
Just had a guy , probably the worst, laziest and most basically incompetent and dangerous pilot I have ever flown with.

We didnt give him a reference and we only just got rid of him a few weeks ago.

JonDyer
25th Apr 2013, 18:42
Tempting to do it........but please dont!:=

Exactly how I feel about someone wagging their finger at me...

Miles Magister
25th Apr 2013, 19:52
I recruited someone like that once. I did phone up the chief pilot of the parent company to check his reference who emphasised his glowing reference, must have really wanted to get rid of him! Had to dismiss him under the probation clause I put in the contract. It was a shame because he was a really nice guy but you must not confuse nice guys and good pilots. Sometimes you get both in the same package but not always.

MM

flynowpaylater
26th Apr 2013, 09:58
Tiny Tim,

Really good post and an interesting subject. At least you picked up on this guys failings at the line training stage.

Far worse than this is the pilot that can actually fly well, and is knowledgable, and as such gets through the training and testing, but has a disregard for OPC's or generally cut corners when not in the gaze of a training Captain.

Giving a "good" reference for these people to ease your own HR admin and cost is ultimatley dangerous.

I know of a similar "good" reference for a pilot who had "resigned" then went to another operator with his good reference in hand, got on line quickly, and then crashed killing not only himself and the rest of the crew but passengers as well. Subsequent report sighted his lack of respect for OPC as a significant factor to the accident.

onetrack
26th Apr 2013, 10:51
flynnowpaylater - Yes, one "highly experienced and extremely capable" Capt Brett Hotchins comes to mind, now that you mention that angle.
Bit of shame Capt Hotchins stained his record with a few shortcuts in his driving style - but at least, he no doubt had some fabulous references. :(