PDA

View Full Version : GA Stealth Operations.

Sunfish
22nd Apr 2013, 23:22
I should not be having to write this, however I wonder what the final outcome of any increase in pressure on GA by CASA might lead to?

My guess is totally illegal stealth operations with the intent of literaly falling of CASA (and AsA) radar screens and with no attempt to follow rules or regulations.

A fibreglass aircraft with transponder turned off must be close to invisible. If its parked on private property with a non obvious strip it should be very difficult to detect.

We are having similar situation on roads among drivers these days. They have either lost their licence thanks to draconian road laws or have never bothered to get one. They drive stolen or unregistered cars because of the costs. I know one of these scofflaws. My brother convicts a few as well.

Am I dreaming or is it already happening?

bentleg
22nd Apr 2013, 23:42
I'm pretty sure that unregistered cars can be picked up by number plate recognition technology in some NSW police cars.

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Apr 2013, 00:02
I walked behind a HWY Patrol car parked in a cross-street the other day, and couldn't help but notice the officer was watching 2 video screens.

From his parked position his monitors were watching traffic from both directions on the adjoining highway, and little target boxes were hovering over the rego plates as the cars drove each way. I give you about 12 hours in a built up or metropolitan area before they getcha.

On the aviation side, a CASA FOI was bragging to me the other day that they are using Flight Aware to monitor operations at places within radar coverage - including the circuit at Armidale, in this case.

Anyone fudging their MR or their sign on/sign off times is setting themselves up I'd suggest.

Private operations will remain off the radar in a regulatory sense. I mean.. until they crash into a Ferris wheel, who cares? :confused:

A37575
23rd Apr 2013, 00:21
a CASA FOI was bragging to me the other day that they are using Flight Aware to monitor operations at places within radar coverage

In the Melbourne area at least CASA have observed general aviation aircraft doing instrument approaches and holding patterns as part of instrument rating tests. Remember CASA have 24 hours notice of tests.

One aircraft spotted making a great hash of holding pattern entry yet the ATO gave the candidate a pass. ATO pulled in by CASA for please explain. ATO approvals have been pulled in some cases. Fair enough, too.

VH-XXX
23rd Apr 2013, 01:59
A fibreglass aircraft with transponder turned off must be close to invisible. If its parked on private property with a non obvious strip it should be very difficult to detect.

You need to visit ASA sunny, they can pick up a flock of birds heading your way so a Jabiru with no transponder is gonna stand out like dogs balls.

What sane punter / member of the public is going to come to some unmarked strip and hop in this fibreglass aircraft for a joy ride? You're dreaming.

At best some non AOC holder is going to start illegally carrying some freight or an AOC holder doing IFR flights under VFR.

It's probably the legit operators taking short cuts that you ought to be worried about.

YPJT
23rd Apr 2013, 02:25
Many years ago, Perth app/dep or whoever was giving clearances for mil para drops at Beverley. They commented observing six rapidly descending objects below the drop aircraft. :ok:

Sunfish
23rd Apr 2013, 03:15
Thanks for that, the last thing I want to encounter airborne are the hoons I see on the road.

avconnection
23rd Apr 2013, 04:05
Actually, I remember some time ago when I was riding in an Jabiru (with a dead x-ponder), we were given as traffic, but "possibly just a flock of birds".

As for hoons of the air? Operate in and out of enough rural strips and you'll find them. A PC12 operating VFR, in IMC on a very nasty day. Gliders not making calls anywhere up to FL180. Weekenders/farmers/cowboys who have no idea of right of way. Others landing on occupied runways, some landing on closed runways (due to disabled aircraft), Experienced IFR pilots doing circling approaches/circuits in no circling areas. Pilots using other call signs to avoid landing fees, fudging ETA's to try and sneak in front, in the wrong place refusing to talk, in IMC claiming to be visual but too stupid to give a height that would allow it and taking off in fog so thick you can't see the flight line.

Plenty out there, just need to hope they're not in the same cloud coming the other way.

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Apr 2013, 05:14
Then there was "old mate" going VFR into Broken Hill the other day - called on 126.7 at 50 nm, 40 nm, 30 nm, 20 nm, 10 nm, 5 nm, downwind and final appr !!! :}

Dr :8

Ultralights
23rd Apr 2013, 05:17
at least you knew where he was! :E

VH-XXX
23rd Apr 2013, 05:45
Sunny I've even been given traffic advice for a truck traveling on the road below me!

He did state that it may be a vehicle though as it was noted that I was crossing a major road.

outnabout
23rd Apr 2013, 06:12
Avconnection:

Not always weekenders / farmers / cowboys. In Jan, a RFDS pilot taxied onto the runway at YPAG, right in front of an Alliance Fokker on short final....after the PC12 had acknowledged Alliance's 5mile final call.

VFR conditions / two professionals.

Don't know if there were bikkies at the subsequent chat, but I did hear a rumour that the chat in the RFDS offices was short, not sweet, and included the phrase "no longer required".

Jabawocky
23rd Apr 2013, 06:32
I think everyone is focussing on the things that anyone can monitor.

I can ASSURE you all that CASA and some of their insane position on things will result in a huge number of things going underground.

If I were not such a visible target, it would really tempt me. So those who are quietly going about their business in the bush, far from any radar or anything else......knock ya socks off.

I know of one aircraft CASA are trying to find, and I hope they do, but they know it is near impossible unless they literally trip over it one day. And even then the right person needs to trip.

So the scene is set, if you are out of the limelight, out in the bush.....better chance of being run over and killed by a matchbox car.

If CASA changed their approach to things in a massive and swift 180 degree turn, and went WOT at it, they may slowly arrest this. But they are kidding themselves big time if they think otherwise.

I challenge any CASA person with any influence to PM me and arrange a beer/coffee or three to chat about it. They have no clues what is happening in the majority of cases and if they do they have even less understanding as to why.

And this is the sad state of affairs in Australia. Not just aviation.

Ohh and yes I have gone toe to toe with Jonathan Alleck on the matter......you can guess how much nodding agreeing and then how much notice was taken. He may be a nice bloke, I dont know, but I can be sure that even though he is a very smart man, the facts were wasted on him. So from the top down they say....

Unless I could be king for a day (about 5-7 years in reality) I doubt I could affect change, because that is exactly what it would take, ohh yeah and a lot of money (my salary) and a lot of sackings and reapplications.

It could be fixed......but only if done my way. Anything else is doomed to failure. And yes I do have a plan!

Logical rant over.........better go check my PM's for coffee invites :}

PS: I meant what I said and mean what I say......I do actually have the future of GA at heart, this is not some wise crack rant at CASA and everyone in between......... (what are they doing with that big white coat walking towards me :oh:)

Ejector
23rd Apr 2013, 06:43
You could paint the Jab in stealth paint :D

Frank Arouet
23rd Apr 2013, 07:25
West suburbs Sydney via social media, announce a "party" 2 hours before it starts. Five hundred turn up and trash the suburb when the coppers told them to POQ. Now there is organisation!

Maybe it's time for a "secret" fly in. The great balding Pompous Blunderbus may even turn up for the ****fight if you make the invitations cryptic enough for any manic paranoiac to understand.

thorn bird
23rd Apr 2013, 08:02
Whats the definition of fathers day in the western suburbs Frank?
Confusion!!

Cirronimbus
23rd Apr 2013, 09:02
Some seem to be operating in "stealth" mode already in Darwin........

Air safety watchdog savages 'unsafe' clearances - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-23/air-safety-watchdog-on-darwin-airport-incidents/4646268?section=nt)

Pays to keep an eye out in case others are not, eh?