PDA

View Full Version : Avionics tech wanna be pilot.

Aks1207
22nd Apr 2013, 19:17
Hello all. This is my very first post here. I'm 30 and I'm working in British Army as an Avionics tech. Will be out of the Army by Dec 2013. My plan is to finish my B2 engineering modules, get my B2 license. And then work towards MPL. I'm planning to do all my flying in US. I'm planning to do dual FAA & EASA license.

My question is, Has anyone themselves or know someone who went through this route? Much appreciated.

PS : I have dual British and Indian citizenship. No kids, no attachments.

pudoc
22nd Apr 2013, 23:25
MPL? That has to be sponsored by an airline, unless I'm greatly mistaken. You want a fATPL.

Aks1207
23rd Apr 2013, 11:26
Sorry not MPL i meant modular training. It is a cheaper way to get fATPL and being honest I can't afford integrated.

RedBullGaveMeWings
23rd Apr 2013, 15:46
Start the PPL at your local Aeroclub or flight school now and then study ATPL in distance learning. You're an engineer so it shouldn't be hard for you to do it on your own - you may well finish it in as little as 4 months.
Go for hour building in the US and then come back to the UK for CPL-ME-IR.

Having an FAA licence is - IMHO - useless until you have a Green Card so go directly for the UK EASA licence path.

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2013, 16:09
There are service flying clubs where you can do your training and hour building cheaper than going abroad.

There are quite a few that have gone your route. I suspect though that You will have more luck finding a job with your engineering skills than pilot.

Flying Mechanic
23rd Apr 2013, 16:23
I was Airframe/Engine Engineer for sevens years, then I did my CPL. You can always walk into a hangar and start work, use that to your advantage! Get in a company and then approach the Chief Pilot, pretty sure you will get a flying job in the future. Over the years I met quite a few pilots who have come that route , and it works. While you over the states, do your FAA A&P ticket, as that's good combo to have with your FAA CPl/IR. my first 2 flying jobs, I used to fix the planes after work! Was not until I flew turbo props did I not work on aircraft after work. I went the airline route for a few years, now I am corporate, you engineering experience is huge plus in the corporate world, because when you break down in Timbuktu.....guess who fixes the plane and saves the day....yep you.In the corporate world , FAA lic is very useful, it's certainly not useless. In my company now we mange over 30 biz jets, over a third are N reg, or M, caymans, and Isle of Man and caymans validate FAA license.
Good luck, you will enjoy your career.

Aks1207
23rd Apr 2013, 18:31
Cheers for your reply guys. I feel quite motivated now, knowing that others have gone this route before.

@RedBullGaveMeWings : I went to the local flying club and even the instructor there recommend going to Florida. As weather is pretty crap here for flying. And it is relatively cheaper in US. Also I can get my PPL within a month in EASA( Euro American School of Aviation).

@mad_jock : True. But I'm leaving Army in Dec this year. Engineering license is something to fall back on.

@Flying Mechanic : You just nailed it :ok:. Certainly by being a engineer yourself, you can understand my situation. Some very good points you mentioned there. I will certainly go for FAA A&P.