PDA

View Full Version : AV8 Darwin finally gone?

BleedingAir
22nd Apr 2013, 10:50
I've been reliably informed by an ex-colleague in Darwin that AV8 has finally gone under. Before we start with the positive/negative comments, can anyone confirm?

SpyderPig
22nd Apr 2013, 11:42
Word around the northern GA this afternoon the last two remaining pilots were informed that there was no money for wages and told that the company had folded. Second hand info out of Gove was the base was closed this morning and crew stood down. Slattery's auctioneers were supposedly spotted this afternoon going over the aircraft.

Over the last 6 months the rumours that this was coming were pretty constant.

Sad day for all involved.

TownsvilleRefueller
22nd Apr 2013, 11:54
Bit too early in the piece for Slatterys to be sniffing around, unless they'd been given the heads-up much earlier. Then again, wasn't KM at the recent DirectAir auctions in Darwin, as a bidder?

The Bank of Queensland had been waiting to repo a couple more of AV8's aircraft. Perhaps they got a taste of it last year when they claimed ol' CYV. The writing has been on the wall for AV8 for a long time, but this afternoon when the bank showed up for its pound of flesh... aluminium... was the final straw. Not even a road train full of gravel could stop the inevitable after that.

All staff, pilots, engineers, spin doctors and even the lizards under the cool room were told there was no need to come back.

PLovett
22nd Apr 2013, 12:27
Geez, they were only advertising for pilots a few weeks ago. Soon it will be the last man standing in DN around the GA traps or will it be "...will the last person shut off the lights when leaving".

Seriously given the fall-out of recent months up there, has the "guverment money for the indiginees" run out making a cash flow run short or is it CASA carving its way through the ranks?

Bounceferret
22nd Apr 2013, 12:36
Spoke to a few of the Gove guys last friday, seemed to be business as usual.
Not good news, all the best :(

AussieNick
22nd Apr 2013, 13:32
Thought that place was rather quiet and the car parks quiet empty when I passed through there today?

Condolences to the blokes there if its true.

Is there going to be any GA left in Darwin by the end of the year. That leaves what's, AF, ChartAir and Hardies? Who's next?

tarmac12
23rd Apr 2013, 04:35
A guy I know was recently hired by AV8 to be a PA31 driver. Somehow, 2 hours into his endo the CP decided that he didn't have enough multi time to be allowed the fly the PA31!

Was informed he was no longer wanted and goodbye. This was after he spent $3k on moving to Darwin.

To add insult to injury they then sent him the bill for 2 hours dual and a day of ground school! That will be $2500 please.

The Green Goblin
23rd Apr 2013, 05:56
Sounds like he didn't cut the mustard.

Bit rude to invoice him though. I would have told them to stick the bill where the sun don't shine, or see me in FWA.

Vincent Chase
23rd Apr 2013, 08:23
A guy I know was recently hired by AV8 to be a PA31 driver. Somehow, 2 hours into his endo the CP decided that he didn't have enough multi time to be allowed the fly the PA31!

Was informed he was no longer wanted and goodbye. This was after he spent $3k on moving to Darwin.

To add insult to injury they then sent him the bill for 2 hours dual and a day of ground school! That will be $2500 please.

GA is rife with this **** - good riddance to bad rubbish, hopefully the pilots can quickly move on to better things. :yuk:

Cirronimbus
23rd Apr 2013, 09:06
Sent a bill for $2500? Could always take a leaf out of their own book and delay payment? :E

Next one to go? Hmm.........my bet is Pearl...

Hasselhof
23rd Apr 2013, 09:17
Could always take a leaf out of their own book and delay payment?

Indefinitely for preference

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Apr 2013, 09:26
Bloke I know came to a mutual understanding with his employer.

Not only did the (now former) employer pay out his 4-week notice period, they waived the $5000 Chieftain endorsement bond only 3 months into a 12-mpnth bond period.

tarmac12
23rd Apr 2013, 10:15
I have been in the RHS with this fellow and I don't think he would have had any trouble with a PA31.

Think it might have been the CP beating his chest as the guy was hired by the owner with no consultation with the CP as he was on holidays.

Not a very professional way to do business.

pilotchute
26th Apr 2013, 03:16
Are the doors open again or is it all quiet around there still?

Mr Milk
30th Apr 2013, 10:40
When's the auction then?

outnabout
2nd May 2013, 07:33
I hear Air Frontier have picked up at least one of AV8s contracts - transferring pax out to Kakadu & Arnhemland.

Good luck to them - I hope it works.

airman1
7th Jun 2013, 10:45
Did Av8 use one of the small hangers in the Northern GA for maintenance ?

Lasiorhinus
7th Jun 2013, 13:40
Yes, the one closest to the fuel bowser, if memory serves correctly.

Howard Hughes
8th Jun 2013, 08:25
Next one to go? Hmm.........my bet is Pearl...
That's a big call! ;)

airman1
8th Jun 2013, 09:23
Does anyone know who owns that hanger ?

The Green Goblin
8th Jun 2013, 10:31
Re Pearl/Aerorescue

Rumour on the grapevine is there has been a fleet of turboprops fitted out with 'in flight opening doors' for dropping capability. Another rumour is the crews are being trained for it's use. It 'aint ze Dorniers :ok:

Love a good rumour :)

seconds
8th Jun 2013, 10:41
Not really a rumour when it's a NOTAM. It's happening.

The Green Goblin
8th Jun 2013, 10:43
But what does it mean?

The AMSA contract is up for renewal next year :cool:

Cirronimbus
8th Jun 2013, 21:47
ZZC has been fitted with an 'air-operable' cargo door by Cobham's Adelaide engineers. Not sure if others have had the same work done but Cobham seem pretty happy with the results and their capability at modifying their planes. If they do get the contract, it won't only be Aerorescue that gets the chop. The rest of the Pearl mob rely on that contract to support their ops. Bye bye Pearl?

magnum pi
9th Jun 2013, 12:19
Auction of the aircraft is next month..

Onsite Auctions - Pickles Auctions Australia (http://www.pickles.com.au/general/onsite-auctions/-/content/LIVE-012205/general)

PI

Corvallis
2nd Jul 2013, 05:12
any news? how much they sold for?

golow
7th Jul 2013, 01:28
Hi
Can anyone who attended post what happened,if there was much interest in the aircraft? Thanks.

iPahlot
8th Jul 2013, 21:20
Looks like pickles have put a dollar value on the 414....85K!

Aircraft for Sale, Plane Sales, Planes for Sale - Aviation Advertiser ? - Aircraft Classifieds / Cessna 414A (http://classifieds.aviationadvertiser.com.au/detail.php?id=2831)

VH-XXX
8th Jul 2013, 21:42
Based on the number of them that have been removed from the register as per the latest rego reports, you'd think the value was closer to zero.

Silly how they add the buyers premium of 7.7%. The aviation advertiser isn't an auction !

Return Flight
6th Sep 2013, 14:03
I came up just on 12 months ago and flew only once with av8 but then reluctantly put flying on the back burner due to the inflated cost relative to the southern states. I have my ppl and went looking again during the last week only to discover that they are G O R N! Any thoughts on a private hire 172 and / or another flight training school up here?