PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a dumb question

PanzerIV
20th Apr 2013, 17:57
Hi guys, I might get flamed for this but I've read the stickies and done a lot of searches but I wasn't able to find the answer to this question:

Is it necessary to go through a ground school training provider (Bristol etc) to appear for the EASA ATPL exams?
(Please keep in mind I am a low time pilot with FAA and DGCA CPL's but no EASA/JAA licenses)

I only ask because I've been studying for the DGCA ATPL exams and they ask the exact same questions as in the EASA/JAA ATPL exams. On the application form for appearing in the exam it mentions a section that needs to be filled up by the training organization, and after reading FCL part 025, which says - <Applicants shall only take the examination when recommended by the approved training organisation (ATO) responsible for their training, once they have completed the appropriate elements of the training course of theoretical knowledge instruction to a satisfactory standard.> - I'm led to believe you have to go through a ground school to do the exams.

It doesn't make sense to me though because in any other country you don't have to go through a ground school to appear for an exam.

Anyway, sorry if this is common knowledge or already been answered.

Cheers.

PanzerIV
20th Apr 2013, 20:06
Anyone have the answer guys?

Trolle
20th Apr 2013, 20:10
AFAIK...yes

No dumb questions...except when someone asked if me you can feel an earthquake while flying.

sapperkenno
20th Apr 2013, 20:45
Yes, because the system is bent.

RedBullGaveMeWings
20th Apr 2013, 21:19
Yes, you have to. It's mandatory.

PanzerIV
20th Apr 2013, 21:26
Thank you gentlemen! Appreciate the help.

paco
21st Apr 2013, 05:00
You will have to do their approved course, and 650 hours for the modular ATPL. And yes, as the others have said, you need to be signed off by a school.

You can self certify if you have an ATP and 1000 hours or so, but that would be very unwise due to the idocy of the questions. If yours are the exact same, you have my sympathies.