PDA

View Full Version : Wing overheat in CRJ?

surface wind
26th Apr 2002, 16:13
I was a radar controller today at BFS when a CRJ reported that he had a problem -- wing overheat warning. I have never seen or heard of this before. Can anyone elaborate? :confused: :confused:

PaperTiger
26th Apr 2002, 18:25
I can't speak personally for the CRJ (which I assume is similar), but this is for the Metro:The Wheel Well and Wing Overheat Warning Light is linked to temperature sensors in the wheel well adjacent to bleed air lines and inside the leading edge of the wing root. The sensors are designed and located to detect a bleed air line failure. A steady warning light is triggered by sensors that detect a temperature of 350° F (177° C) in the wheel well or 450° F (232° C) in the air conditioning duct. A sensor in the wing root triggers a flashing light when temperature exceeds 250° F (121° C) in the wing leading edge. These temperature sensors will activate the applicable annunciator light whenever the threshold temperatures are exceeded, regardless of whether the heat source was related to a brake overheat/wheel well fire, air conditioning or bleed air malfunction, or an overheated generator wire heat.

Bluejet
26th Apr 2002, 18:37
Hmmn, almost the same. In the CRJ the wing overheat warning is specifically related to the heat sensors in the wing. These sensers detect if the wing has been overheated by the bleed air from the engines for the anti icing. This overheat can be caused by a fracture in the ducts supplying the heated air to the wing or alternatively the valves themselves that open and close to allow the air through to keep the wings warm can jam or fail to work properly.

Either way, you have to switch the anti-icing off. If the warning goes away you can run the anti-ice in standby, if it stays you run the anti-icing from the other engine in standby and have to leave icing conditions. In this case if they were talking to ATC I suggest they couldn't get rid off the warning and had to leave icing conditions, which can be hard in the UK :)