PDA

View Full Version : A couple of quirky ATPL law questions (No surprise there i know)

mar1234
19th Apr 2013, 23:01
Unfortunatly a lot of the regs are open to interpretation and these questions go along those lines so I am just after other peoples opinions.

First off:

Windshield clear vision equipment is required to be fitted to?

all aircraft
all aeroplanes above 5700 kg MTOW
all aircraft operating under the VFR
all aircraft operating under the IFR

5 Windshield clear vision equipment
5.1 An aircraft with a flight compartment windshield may only be operated under the
V.F.R. or the I.F.R. if it has a means of clearing heavy outside precipitation from the
windshield at a rate which ensures an unobstructed view for each pilot.
Note I.F.R. is defined in subregulation 2 (1) of CAR 1988.
5.2 Paragraph 5.1 does not apply for:
(a) an aeroplane with a MTOW less than 5 700 kg; or
(b) a helicopter with a MTOW less than 2 750 kg maximum;
if the windshield design satisfies CASA that moderate rain will not impair the pilot’s
view for take-off, landing or normal flight.

if you dont read into it to much the answer would be all aircraft greater than 5700kg. but what if the windshield design doesn't satisfy CASA.. then an aircraft under 5700kg would need windshield clear vision equipment, meaning the first answer could be correct?

Second:

For an IFR RPT pressurised turbojet flight from PERTH to SINGAPORE in CTA, the minimum requirements for altitude alerting/assigned altitude indication systems is -
1 an assigned altitude indicator and an altitude alerting system
2 an assigned altitude indicator or an altitude alerting system
3 an assigned altitude indicator
4 an altitude alerting system

the regs state:
7.2 Pressurised turbine engined aircraft operating in controlled airspace under Instrument
Flight Rules (except night V.M.C.) shall be equipped with an altitude alerting system.
7.3 Unless equipped with an altitude alerting system, an aircraft operating in controlled
airspace under Instrument Flight Rules (except night V.M.C.) shall be equipped with
an assigned altitude indicator.

So a pressurised turbine needs an altitude alerting system, but 7.3 states that if you dont have an altitude alerting system then a assigned altitude indicator will suffice. there is no mention of which type of aircraft 20.18-7.3 is related too.
so is the answer 2, 3 or 4?

thanks in advance for your input.

Rednobius
20th Apr 2013, 01:23
I did airlaw about a year ago but didn't get 100% so can't confess to being definitely correct here.

Question number 1, if we remove the reference to helicopters the regs read like this:

1. You need windshield wipers, however if your AC is less than 5700 and the design is such that you don't require wipers, and CASA are satisfied, then you have no requirement to have them.

Which means the answer can't be A, because certainly there are some aircraft out there that due to their design do not require wipers, and are under 5700. Fair chance you've flown one in your training.

Which means the answer is B.

Question number 2 is a bit more confusing. I'm my mind the regs read like this:

1. If youre a pressurised turbine AC in CTA operating under IFR, you need an altitude 'alerting' system.
2. Any AC operating in CTA under IFR needs an assigned altitude 'indicator', unless you have an altitude 'alerting' system.

So the AC in the question relates to point number 1, and requires the altitude 'alerting' system. Because it has this it does not require the assigned altitude 'indicator'. A different way to think about this question is that the altitude 'alerting' system is a better piece of equipment than the assigned altitude 'indicator', and if you already have the alerter, why would you need both?

I'd say the answer is D.

...do you have the answers?

MyNameIsIs
20th Apr 2013, 01:25
G'day mar1234.

For your first question regarding windshield clear vision, your assumption about "if you don't read into it" is correct.

The question is asking what aircraft the equipment is "required" to be fitted to. The regs state that aircraft below 5700 that satisfy casa do not need the equipment, thus everything above 5700 requires the equipment and there isn't anything that precludes them.
There is also a difference between "aircraft" and "aeroplanes". "Aircraft" is a cumulative group (Remember the term "Category of Aircraft" in the instrument ratings/renewals? This can mean fixed wing or rotary wing); whereas "aeroplane" is aeroplane. The para 5.2 also lists helicopters below 2750 can get away without clear vision equipment, thus helping to narrow down the given answers.

The 2nd question is a little more confusing, and hopefully I can explain it clearer!

Para 7.2 states that press.turbine in cta must have an alerter. There is actually no way around this.
Reading thru to 7.3 it sounds like "oh hang on, if i dont have an alerter but have an indicator im alright". Nope... It is basically saying that any other aircraft that isnt a pressurised turbine and operating IFR in CTA must have an indicator.

Think of 7.2 and 7.3 as "stand alone" regs, not 7.3 giving a way around 7.2.
The simplest way I reckon I can put it is: "In CTA, Press Turb must have an alerter. All other aircraft, unless they dont have one, must have have an indicator."

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

mar1234
20th Apr 2013, 05:08
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, after getting them wrong in practise exams I had to investigate further. And i came to the same conclusion. After reading your interpretations it has settled the argument in my head.

Sitting the exam on tuesday. Any last words of wisdom?

Rednobius
20th Apr 2013, 05:45
Just RFTQ and RATFA's (read all the F answers).

:)