PDA

View Full Version : number of pages of flight manual A380 or B787

ATC Watcher
18th Apr 2013, 10:37
I am preparing a presentation of ATC automation for a technical audience, and would like to make a comparison between and automated ATC system manual , as handed over to controllers ,and that of a modern airliner.
Anyone has a copy and can check the number of pages a Flight manual of a A380 or a B787 actually has ?

( for those of you who are curious , a Controller ATC system manual today is over 500 pages, that is only describing the functions the system is able to to do )

misd-agin
18th Apr 2013, 12:40
777 -

System description - 1100. Edited down from a higher number.
a/c SOP - 500 additional system info(150 pages) and 'how we fly this' info
QRH - 600 abnormal checklist
MEL - 900 minimum equipment list for inop systems
Performance - 300 without auto load system it would be much higher
Company SOP - 800

dolpinsky
18th Apr 2013, 12:52
misd-agin (http://www.pprune.org/members/128797-misd-agin)
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
jesus how can pilots rmb so much information? :ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

ATC Watcher
18th Apr 2013, 14:01
jesus how can pilots rmb so much information?
" using their superior skills" is the correct answer:ok:

Thanks misd-agin, worse than I tought ! prove my point though...

misd-agin
18th Apr 2013, 15:27
No one remembers all of it. After the initial learning it's mostly used for reference. And if we can't remember it we're the women of the air, we fake it. :)

And that's just for the aircraft. Flying regulations, general flying procedures, etc, etc. add even more. Like any job there's a lot to it when you sit down and start thinking about it. It's a tremendous amount if you're just starting out. I'm glad that was years ago.

roulishollandais
21st Apr 2013, 15:40
ATC automationOne step further in taking control of the world by our gangster following the cockpit?:suspect::{

PGA
23rd Apr 2013, 11:12
My 380 FCOM contains 7082 pages, this includes systems, procedures etc. But not the MEL.

On top of that there is an OM-A: 662 pages, containing all company policies
OM-C: 1938 pages of route related guidance etc
LIDO Manual: 1847 pages, all to do with NAV/MET/airspace design etc etc

Plenty to put you to sleep at night :)

Pub User
23rd Apr 2013, 22:03
787 systems manual has 1255 pages.

ATC Watcher
2nd May 2013, 18:39
Thanks to all for the answers . Very informative.
Teh A380 seem to be the " winner"

Our panel next year will be on : " How Technology and Systems interact with Humans" .
How to digest and understand how Programmers have designed the automation we use is part of this. Especially when we have to take over.
Not sure reading through 1000's of pages is the correct answer.

swh
3rd May 2013, 06:19
The actual flight manual for most Boeing and Airbus aircraft is very small, only around 20-40 pages. It is a very concise document with the certified limitations, and some emergency items. This is normally also reflected in the FCTM, they will say what a pilot needs to know is the appropriate limitations and recall items, everything else is for information.

I know of no airline that actually provides flight manuals to pilots. They provide FCOMs, which have a lot of expanded information, and systems descriptions, hence their length.