PDA

View Full Version : Brightline Pilot Flex System Bag

QJB
18th Apr 2013, 02:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dDj0HyN-FM

Anyone here use one of these? If so, do you think it is worth the cost? I'm looking for a good bag to use for general day-to-day flying and overnights.

QJB

Old Akro
18th Apr 2013, 03:12
Here we go again. Headsets, Sunglasses and flightbags are the 3 major issues that have polarised opinions.

The only comment I'll make is that the stuff I carry is changing pretty quickly. I'm currently thinking about rearranging my bag or getting a new one. 5 years ago, I carried lots of paper. Now I carry almost none. The iPad, EFB and chargers are becoming the main focus.

Think about what you need to carry, put it in a pile on the table and think about the shape of bag that works best. Include everything you need. My flight bag includes panadiene, sunblock, coffee bags, spare batteries, sick bags, spare keys, hex keys for radio trays, screwdrivers, leatherman, torches (3), EPIRB, Pulse oximeter, Co detector, fuel carnet's, Garmin update cards, USB cables, etc.

Periodically I go through and and remove things I haven't used in a while.

I like to have the bag under my knees so it doesn't bother passengers. So I want it to sit upright on its own and to be able to reach down to it in flight. It has a shoulder strap so I can sling it over my shoulder leaving my hands free to carry anything else that I or passengers need. A lot of guys like backpacks for this reason, but I'm too old for the backpack image.

ozequestrian
18th Apr 2013, 07:56
I have one and it's OK for day to day use. Too small to do anything overnight with for the basic one. The new range lets you add on compartments as you need them. I'm selling my B10 as I am upgrading to the bigger one as I do a lot of overnighters. PM if you need more info. Cheers

kellykelpie
18th Apr 2013, 08:05
"Perfection is not when there's nothing more to add but when there's nothing more to take away" - less is more. I think the bag is too complicated...

triathlon
18th Apr 2013, 08:48
I love it. Did an overnight charter last week. Went to the local pub for dinner. Took the bag along with me. Don't know if it was my aftershave or the bag, but the chicks hovered around my table.

I think it was the bag.

Thumbs up from me. :ok:

seconds
18th Apr 2013, 08:51
I agree the Bright-line Bag is too complicated. I brought a similar type for $250 and sold it. They are ok but not worth the price. Go to your local shopping centre and pick up a basic bag that suits your needs and save a bundle.

If you want to get one made for flying some of the Jeppesen ones will do the job. Second hand one for sale here Jeppesen Pilot Bag (http://secondhandpilot.com.au/jeppesen-pilot-bag-2/)

Jack Ranga
18th Apr 2013, 10:47
triathlon, I've got a bright line bag that I also take to the pub with me, no chicks were hovering around me.............what aftershave do you wear?

triathlon
18th Apr 2013, 19:33
Damn! I was sure it was my beautiful aviator bag.

Must have been the " old spice " I was wearing.

Ixixly
18th Apr 2013, 20:22
Triathlon, be honest here.... Were you still wearing your Uniform at the pub? cause that's just not fair to the rest of the blokes there, like shooting fish in a barrel :cool:

triathlon
18th Apr 2013, 21:25
Nah. I must say I did leave the uniform in the hotel room, but I was wearing my "aviators" on my head. :cool:

Jack Ranga
18th Apr 2013, 22:51
Ahhhhh, old spice, makes sense now :ok:

Username here
19th Apr 2013, 01:58
I've had mine for 18 months - love it!

Ovation
19th Apr 2013, 02:44
I'm a fan of the Brightline bags, having got my first one about 4 years ago. I agree with Old Akro:Periodically I go through and and remove things I haven't used in a whileand the need for a larger bag is less because of things like Ipads etc.

The earlier bags didn't have a heavy duty zipper holding the 2 main halves together, and when it failed it was replaced it without question, including express shipping to Oz, but again the same zipper failed after a couple of years.

When at Oshkosh 2012 I visited the Brightline stand and noticed their current range had mush sturdier zippers and I mentioned my problems with the earlier zippers. The Brightline chap looked up the original sale record on his Ipad and offered me a replacement for the cost of shipping to Oz (B6 Convey), which I gladly accepted.

The thing is now, because of the Ipad (mini) and software such as OzRunways, I always leave the document half of the bag in the aircraft with maps, charts etc, do all my trip planning with the Ipad, and have less weight and bulk to carry around.

Homesick-Angel
19th Apr 2013, 02:45
Pretty happy with mine..
It has stopped the faffing around in the bottom of the bag.. I actually know where to look..
This creates the amazing illusion that im organized..

MartinCh
19th Apr 2013, 21:43
saw one 'in person' in USA last year, one heli student, or, rather, 747 Capt, had it and was pretty happy about it. The modularity of the bag also helps.

If you're like me, having tons of little things and bits, organised pockets help. OTOH, all these can be chucked to 'dedicated' larger pocket.