PDA

View Full Version : UK Right to Work Visa

squall1984
18th Apr 2013, 00:13
Hey Everyone,

I have a UK right to work Visa and a EASA ATPL etc.

Does anyone have any idea if a Visa to work in the UK would be ok for a place such as Ryan Air where you can be working for a UK company but be based outside the UK?

Thanks

PigeonVoyageur
18th Apr 2013, 04:56
I would think that Ryanair is an Irish company instead of a UK company. Anyway, to be able to work for a European company like Ryanair or Easyjet where you can be based in any European country, you need to be able to work and reside freely in Europe - hence be a citizen of one of the countries in the European union.

If you have a work visa for the UK only, I would think it's a little bit problematic, since this allows you to reside and work in the UK, but I don't think it allows you to work in any other European country. You'll be able to work for an airline where you'll be based in the UK - if you can find a job!

I suggest that you better check this out at a UK Embassy to be 100% sure.

redsnail
18th Apr 2013, 09:54
My husband had that visa, if I recall correctly, he had to live in the UK, he could not live any where else whilst using that visa.
(he's with an orange loco)

truckflyer
18th Apr 2013, 12:39
Ryanair is NOT a UK company, they are an Irish company!

UK is not a member of Schengen, if was Schengen visa, you could work in Schengen countries but not UK etc.

So UK alone is not enough.

squall1984
18th Apr 2013, 15:49
Trying to get a hold of someone at Home Office is like trying to contact aliens! Finding a airline thats only based in UK and hiring might be a bit difficult, I have quite a bit of jet time so maybe charter would be better at first.

truckflyer
18th Apr 2013, 16:54
Depends what company requires, normally they require allowed to work within EU, if not you are very limited to where you can be based.

Also much information available on UK Home Office border control.

However complicated situation, sure is possible, but getting a job is probably the impossible part!

redsnail
18th Apr 2013, 16:55
Try easyJet (they do UK bases), try Monarch, BA as well as the regionals.
You will be able to fly in and out of the country, just living outside of the UK will not be possible for the time being.

squall1984
18th Apr 2013, 17:26
Yea any one of those would be amazing, I'm not sure if EasyJet will take me because they might need me in a base outside of the UK

redsnail
18th Apr 2013, 17:33
My husband had the visa you have, they took him and based him in the UK.
This was 10 years ago.

squall1984
18th Apr 2013, 18:08
Good to know! Thats at least a little chance :P

gehenna
18th Apr 2013, 18:19
You may need a UK passport; protects those who are British to get those rare jobs first, quite rightly.

pilotchute
20th Apr 2013, 12:52
Monarch
pilot careers - first officer recruitment

flight crew

what qualifications do pilot applicants need?

Normally the minimum qualifications and experience that we require from pilot applicants are:

A UK EASA ATPL (or Frozen ATPL) with UK EASA Class 1 medical certificate
At least 2000 hours total time in fixed wing aircraft, including 500 hours completed on a heavy turbo prop or jet in excess of 15 tonnes
MCC qualified
The permanent right to live and work in the UK

There you go. They do exist.

Luke SkyToddler
20th Apr 2013, 13:11
I worked for two UK airlines, Highland Airways and Easyjet, on a UK grandparent-entry work visa. It doesn't allow you to work in Europe initially but once you've got the permanent unrestricted UK residence thing after the 4 year probation period, then you can work all over Europe.

Off top of head I have mates in BA, Thomson and Flybe who also emigrated from NZ / Aus on grandparent visas, so I don't think it's a major problem for most employers.

As an aside, Easyjet's got massive waiting lists for just about all the continental European bases, so 99.9% chance you'd be stuck on a UK base when you joined whether you wanted it or not.

squall1984
20th Apr 2013, 14:34
Good to know :) . I'm South African but unfortunately although my family is originally British its too far back for what they allow nowadays. My fiance is British and she can't wait to move back to England.

Will see how it goes, we are both pilots so it will be a bit for us to both get jobs there I think, but will see how it goes.