PDA

View Full Version : Switching from distance learning to full time ATPL theory study?

contacttower118.2
17th Apr 2013, 18:01
I've got about half way through the ATPL ground exams via distance but my rate of progress has been slow with other aspects of my life constantly getting in the way and while my self-disipline has been reasonable in working in my own time it would be much more efficient if I was working on it full time.

The problem is I'm not sure how easy it would be to start on a full time course having done about half the material already and probably in a different order to which it would be taught in another school (the one I'm with at the moment is distance only).

Has anyone else done this? Which of the full time theory would be most receptive do you think to me joining part way through the course?

Transsonic2000
17th Apr 2013, 19:45
I'd say get in touch with your school or course provider, they are the most competent to help you with this issue. But be aware, regarding the amount of time spent studying, won't be that much less, even if you switch to a class room course (if possible with your present provider).

Check out the following link:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/510670-best-fastest-place-study-atpls-uk.html#post7756886

Good luck!

RichardH
17th Apr 2013, 20:03
You are certainly not the first and won't be last to travel this path.

As you stated D/L requires significant focus & self-discipline, many start with good intentions but due to a variety of reasons/excuses fail to apply themselves. It can be a false economy if you fail a few exams and/or time expire, not uncommon.

As a freelance ATPL instructor I have seen several students convert from D/L to F/T not one had any regrets. I my view it would be very easy to switch though I should strongly advise you commencing your studies again at the start of a module not part-way through (even if acceptable). All your previous study would not be in vain it should just make it even easier to understand and progress.

There are a few of full-time modular approved courses open to you, some with 2 modules and some with 3 modules. Some will insist you start on module 1, others will allow you jump on at the start of a module.

You need to go and visit them IN PERSON (not just a phone call) to discuss your circumstances and this will allow you to talk to instructors and other students to get a feel for the place. Bear in mind living & accommodation costs as well as course fees. Best of luck.