PDA

View Full Version : Private GA Ops to China

Guptar
14th Apr 2013, 07:32
Watching the Shanghai F1 race on TV with some mates. One of them said next year lets go to China to watch the F1, and fly ourselves.

I know corporate ops go to china regularly, but what about private ops. Planning for the trip would be through Universal or Jepp. Planningt to take a Kingair 200.

Is there any pitfals for pvt ops with regards to diplomatic clearances for entry into china.

What about ATC and ground handling.

Any advice would be appreciated.

amraam12
14th Apr 2013, 17:05
Diplomatic permits aren't required for China, however having a local sponsor is. The process has been made a little easier over the past couple of years, however the quality if your local sponsor will make all the difference in the world. ATC won't be an issue for you in a Kingair, however be prepared to spend a lot of money on ground handling and agent fees.

If you plan on using Universal, you can plan on spending a lot of money with them too!

amraam

con-pilot
14th Apr 2013, 17:18
The first hurled you must pass is to have an invitation to come to China in a non-airline aircraft. The invitation must come from the Chinese government or a Chinese company.

If you obtain such an invitation, then contract with an international handler to arrange all the other details, which are numerous.

There is no such thing as VFR flying in China, at least not that I know of. Strict observance of on staying on the airways is mandatory.

Can it be done, not sure to tell the truth, but it will take a lot of lead time and it will be expensive, that you can count on.

Since my last flight into China in a corporate aircraft, Falcon 50EX, I understand things have become somewhat easier.

So my advice it is to first contact an well known international handler and go from there.

The best of luck to you and if you do get to go, have a great time. :ok:

dc9-32
15th Apr 2013, 08:46
My last request (last month) to China for a turbo prop was rejected because the CAAC do not allow foreign registered turbo props into their airspace unless they are being delivered to a China based company.

silverknapper
15th Apr 2013, 13:44
I've had a different experience dc9. Flown king airs in china with no issue, Indeed am there just now.

dc9-32
15th Apr 2013, 14:39
Are you leaving China in the same turbo prop ? If so, I'd be keen to know how your agent secured the permission.

Lowmick
15th Apr 2013, 15:06
Been in China with small Piper Meridian on some domestic airports and airshow in Zhuhai at 2012. A/c on EU reg. Expect very expensive handling/apt fees and ATC, that does not cooperate too much sometimes...

dc9-32
15th Apr 2013, 16:36
Interesting. Two China agents both told me that aircraft under 7000kgs MTOW will be refused overfly and landing.

Tequilaboy
23rd Apr 2013, 13:07
I cant answer the MTOW question off the top off my head however I will check. I think also a lot depends on the registry as well. Whilst the rules affect all aircraft as I understand some reg are 'easier' to secure what you need as opposed to others. I believe that some operators got their invites through licensing officials at the FIA.

Amraam - That is a bit of an unfair comment about Universal. They have staff, offices and infrastructure in situ and you pay to get your trip done right and above board in our experience. The last few ops there with 2 jets have been flawless. it is not a cheap place as others have mentioned so the price is relative.

silverknapper
23rd Apr 2013, 14:34
Hi dc9

Apologies for the delay.

I think it depends on where you want to go, and how well connected your agents are. Nothing is guaranteed. But as a general rule the capital of each province shouldn't be a problem. After that its dependent on the aforementioned.

As an aside don't plan on huge sectors. Invariably I've found it 50/50 on getting my desired level. Flew 800nm at F140 the other day. The burn was painful.

Booglebox
24th Apr 2013, 08:32
I'm not known for giving Universal compliments, but I used them for a couple of flights in China and they were actually really excellent. :cool:
Not sure how much they cost though.