PDA

View Full Version : TAF question.

albatross
13th Apr 2013, 16:28
Can anyone tell me why TAFs ( at least in Canada ) do not have forecast temperatures?
After all it would be nice to know as you thrash off over the horizon towards Little Moosepoop if it will be +30 or -30 when you arrive.

Just curious.

212man
13th Apr 2013, 17:04
There are some that do. Mainly International airports, I think

OvertHawk
13th Apr 2013, 17:05
Interestingly, the only TAFs i've come across during ops in Europe that have forecast temperatures are for some of the major French airports which have a max and min forecast temperature and time for the period of the TAF.

You're right - it does seem to be a significant omission and strange that the French include it but no-one else seems to.

OH

tony 1969
13th Apr 2013, 17:09
In sunny Spain we get the same

LEPA 131100Z 1312/1412 23008KT 9999 FEW020 TX22/1312Z TN09/1406Z

farsouth
13th Apr 2013, 17:12
Standard in South American TAFs

heloguy412
13th Apr 2013, 20:31
For Canada it is because there is not much difference between cold and F&^%ki*& cold.:)

carsickpuppy
14th Apr 2013, 00:55
I'm guessing it's probably hard to find a reliable reporting station in Little Moosepoop, eh?

I didn't notice them in this part of Asia either, but the temperature swings here are much more subtle, the difference between sweating a little and sweating a lot.

Maddam
14th Apr 2013, 02:13
The international TAF also contains forecast temperature, icing, and turbulence. These three elements are not included in National Weather Service (NWS) prepared TAFs. The U.S. has no requirement to forecast temperatures in an aerodrome forecast and the NWS will continue to forecast icing and turbulence in AIRMETs and SIGMETs.

Decoding TAF reports (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/aviation/tafcode.php)

I would say it is because there are other weather charts that cover temperature, wind aloft , etc

John Eacott
14th Apr 2013, 09:19
For Canada it is because there is not much difference between cold and F&^%ki*& cold.:)

:ok:

Australian TAFs give forecast temps and QNH in 3 hour blocks (for a 12 hour TAF), and from 2009 the 6 main international airports have included the expected maximum and minimum temps in the 30 hour TAF.

But the BoM has a discussion paper out at the moment which is proposing massive changes to the availability of TAFs throughout Australia, on a budgetary constraint basis. One main airfield TAF is expected to be valid for any field with 60nm, but all the fields within that area (without their own TAF) will then not be able to be nominated as an alternative unless the area forecast is suitable. Sorry a bit OT, but a disaster in the making :(