PDA

View Full Version : AUS CPL TO AMERICAN CPL

Mr Stickshaker
13th Apr 2013, 04:06
Hi all just wondering what is required to convert an Australian Cpl to an American CPL, any one who has done it in the last year could you please help.
cheers.

MartinCh
13th Apr 2013, 04:17
it all depends on your experience and type of hours flown in logbook, dictating how much extra flying you'd need.

There are some 'integrated' Aussie CPLs fixed wing where you graduate with 150hrs. That's 100hrs short of airplane CPL, although there's other class/category credit and fairly generious, towards the 250hrs aeronautical experience.

google 61.129 e-cfr (online aviation regs, Title 14 CFR, that specific is for CPL)

oh, and the written bits, for commercial and instrument rating if you ask, are way easier than Australian theory and the ASA test prep books have all the written questions covered, so you can order one and be ready before you even touch down and clear immigration. Look it up on amazon.

MakeItHappenCaptain
13th Apr 2013, 10:44
ASA also produces an app for this purpose. The entire question database is published, but the law component is closed book in the actual exam.

PatTheDog
15th Apr 2013, 03:54
I am pretty confident you can also get a PPL based on your Aussie CPL, by just popping into there office. From that you can sit the ATP exam and your Foreign Instrument Exam and go straight to an ATP. (There will be an ATP flight test.) Obviously you would also need a medical done.

Gliems offer some good exam software if you want to get 100% for both ATP and the IFP test (Massive question banks.)
There are some better ones although can't remember the name right now that has a smaller question bank and should get you a pass mark for the ATP.

Can someone else tell me if I missed anything?

Tinstaafl
15th Apr 2013, 12:22
1. You need to check your hours against the FAR's CPL requirements. FAR 61 (or more correctly, 14 CFR Part 61) is the section that deals with licences. Min. experience for an Oz CPL isn't sufficient for an FAA CPL by ~ 50-60 hours. You also need to make sure you meet the definitions for the flight time subsets eg total cross country, min. distance x-country with landings etc.

2a. If you meet the exp. requirements for an FAA ATP** then do that. One exam, one flight test, no need for an instructor recommendation, and the ATP includes an integral instrument rating ie no need for a separate IR

2b. If you can't do the ATP - but hold an ICAO CPL** - then you'll need to do the Commercial exam, Instrument exam, and a flight test for each of those. You'll also need test recommendations from an FAA instructor.

3. No need for the 61.75 licence if ICAO ATPL --> FAA ATP. Not sure about getting an FAA CPL from a foreign CPL. I think it will be needed. The 61.75 licence is a PPL issued on the basis of an equivalent ICAO licence and is only valid as long as the foreign licence is valid. You'll need to authorise CASA to release your pilot qualifications to the FAA so they can confirm validity.

4. Jump through the TSA insecurity bull****.

5. Do a medical. Class 1 or 2 for commercial operations (depending on type of ops), Class 3 for private.

**Note that FAA licences are segregated by category *and* class, unlike Oz.
Category = fixed wing, rotary wing, glider etc
Class (for fixed wing) = single engine land, single engine sea, multi engine land, multi engine sea.

This means that to get a CPL for SEL & MEL will require two CPL flight tests ie one in each class. About the only shortcut is SEL/SES & MEL/MES ie do the test in an amphibian with both splashes & thumps in the test and get both classes of licence for the single test.

All written from memory so excuse the likely error here & there...

MartinCh
15th Apr 2013, 16:37
Tinstaafl's answer is pretty handy flowchart/options.

Just to add, the 61.75 validation is required for flying N-reg as PIC.
Without it, if the DPE isn't happy to act as PIC WHOLE FLIGHT (ie also when you're not under hood for the instrument skills demonstration), you'll probably need at least solo sign-off a la going for PPL checkride, where the student is PIC by the virtue of FAA CFI's endorsements or the DPE is. It's bit of shady/ambiguous area if not digging deep into the regs.

Normally, people do the 61.75 for renting and/or for working on advanced standalone FAA ratings. That way it's less hassle (solo xc endorseemtns and 'flying the route with CFI beforehand, for example). Without FAA validation of foreign licence, I'm also not sure (forgive me, haven't seen the regs for some months) if you'll meet the requirement of having PPL according to Part 61 (and the dispensations) for CPL checkride. Though it does NOT state class/category and most people don't know that PPL(A) can do 'straight to CPL' checkride if meeting the Part 61 requirements, although I was not allowed to do that where I did most of heli training.

At least I haven't come across anyone who'd use solo sign off to go and do ATP checkride, using foreign CPL/IR to meet 61.153 or whichever is for ATP. If anything, it'd be very tricky legal situation that'd need to be properly documented in the regs in front of DPE, who'd may look puzzled/in disbelief about what you'd like to do. Honestly, not all DPEs or FSDO inspectors know special clauses in regs that allow things under specific circumstances.

Besides the recommendation (except ATP ride, as mentioned) there's usually few hours with FAA CFI preceding two months/60 days.

ALSO, Stickshaker didn't mention if he got instrument rating/CIR as in CASA.
While there is dispensation for mixing&matching CPL and IR, not strictly needing both from foreign country or FAA itself, not all Aussies do CIR during or right after CPL. So let's not presume too much with IR and ATP.

The 50nm for fixed wing and 25nm for rotary for FAA XC for rating/certs is valid point. Many countries don't have such thing and you don't want to deliberately claim complying with Part 61 when you're not and the DPE doesn't check flight by flight. Europe and CASA means XC for flight away from home aerodrome with using navigational skills/techniques. Also could be for no landing out, ie turning poit/waypoint, but not so in FAA normally - and no, you're not ex-mil bomber pilot to count drop across ocean and back, as XC.

EDIT: not that it makes difference, but all you need is FAA Class 3 for ANY checkride, unlike CASA. If you're not going to actually exercise privileges on commercial ops necessitating CLass 2 or 1 (CPL vs ATP 'levels'), or 'only' fly as instructor on FAA ticket, then you don't need it. Not that it makes huge difference as in Europe for example, with initial CPL medical being a pain adn PPL less, also double the cost difference, or treble. In USA, you can do medical for 80-120 bucks, depending on the approved doctor's rates. Also less thorough than CASA inital CPL (done it myself recently in Asia, which is nowhere near as complicated as EASA initial Class 1 - also done it in the past)

HeliKiwi500
15th Apr 2013, 20:29
I just converted NZ commercial to FAA commercial. Pretty easy. The only hours I needed were my night and night xc time. They issued me a private pilot certificate a month and half after I sent all the paperwork in the CAA and FAA for lic. verification.

You need to do at least 3 hrs with the instructor from the school you are going to use in preparation for the practical test. Before you can do the practical test (flight portion), you have to do the written exam and pass above 70%. There is prepware out there that will give you 90% of the questions they can ask you and you pretty much just memorize the answers and the same questions will be on the written exam. Once all that is done, you can schedule you FAA check ride. The day of the check ride, you will have an oral exam. Mine lasted about 3 hrs of oral exam and 1.5 hr flight. The first portion of the check ride was a xc, did a few legs of the flight and then back to the airport to do all the emergency procedures. Overall pretty easy. I suggest getting and FAA medical. It's is very easy and cheap to get a medical in the US.

And any of the hours after PPL, including dual instruction flights, are considered PIC.

Link to the Oral exam, with the questions they can ask you on the day of your check ride.
http://www.amazon.com/Helicopter-Oral-E ... 1560276088

Link to the prepware for the commercial written test (these are the exact questions you will be tested on).
http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Pilot- ... helicopter

Here are the minimum hours needed.

■For a helicopter rating.
Must log at least 150 hours of flight time as a pilot
that consists of at least:
(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in helicopters.
(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—
(i) 35 hours in helicopters; and
(ii) 10 hours in cross-country flight in helicopters. (3) 20 hours of training that includes at least—
(i) Five hours on the control and maneuvering of a helicopter solely by reference to instruments using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. This aeronautical experience may be performed in an aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or an aviation training device;
(ii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a helicopter in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure;
(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a helicopter in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(iv) Three hours in a helicopter with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(4) Ten hours of solo flight time in a helicopter or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a helicopter with an authorized instructor on board that includes—
(i) One cross-country flight with landings at a minimum of three points, with one segment consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern).

Hailstop3
15th Apr 2013, 22:07
Heli NZ,

I had the exact issues you had when I converted about 4 years ago. I had plenty of hours vfr night XC in a single, but since I wanted a multi cpl, they didn't count for that box tick. An absolute joke really.

If you want an easier way, skip the CPL if possible and get your ATPL converted if you aren't too far from it here. Just remember not to rock up on their doorstep and take every step it says on the FAA sites. Good luck!

MakeItHappenCaptain
16th Apr 2013, 08:18
EDIT: not that it makes difference, but all you need is FAA Class 3 for ANY checkride, unlike CASA.

Are you suggesting you must hold a class 1 medical to undertake a CPL test?:confused:

Tankengine
16th Apr 2013, 08:39
A question for original poster, what type of operation are they planning and do they have the right to work in the USA?:confused:

I got PVT SE land, ME land and Glider on the basis of Aus ATPL and GPC.
A glider check served as a BFR for all those too!:E

For an Instrument rating you need to do the (online) exam. They will then put jet endorsements on the licence though.;)

MartinCh
16th Apr 2013, 17:00
I had the exact issues you had when I converted about 4 years ago. I had plenty of hours vfr night XC in a single, but since I wanted a multi cpl, they didn't count for that box tick. An absolute joke really. Bit late for you now, but if you did SE CPL FIRST, then the ME CPL as add-on/extension of the single eng CPL, you'd not have to meet the usual initial MULTI CPL reqs in 61.129.

Wonder why the school you did your flying at, didn't tell you. Probably didn't want to sell you the SE time when you could fly twin. Also, you'd have to consider the extra proficiency training for VFR maneuvres for the checkride and therefore also rental and DPE fee on top of all the other stuff in twin. I'd not do only one class CPL in fixed wing. I know it sounds silly to some, to have CPL in twin, but not legal to fly single - normally the common sense dictates that twin privileges - more complex/advanced, would mean SE built in.
For the 'standard FAA CFI' certificated, I'd need to have CPL on singles anyway, even though one can avoid having to do 'complex' portion of checkride by doing ME CPL and with 'MEI', one doesn't have to use complex single for CFI (single engine flight instructor certificate).

MHC: Well, you're right then. I'll try to look it up in the regs as part of my CASA CWLA/H self study. The US system only needs private level medical for checkrides, obviously. I'd presume it'd be similar in Australia, but had this conversion checklist, but it does indeed say 'for exercising privileges' which I didn't recall and remembered the Cl 1.

About the only shortcut is SEL/SES & MEL/MES ie do the test in an amphibian with both splashes & thumps in the test and get both classes of licence for the single test.
This could be pretty handy, if the stars align in some cases. Let's say doing MEL CPL and MEI, then SES CPL training/ride, T&G or full stop in amphib and voila! :-) Doing the ME instrument experience etc may be a bit of issue with those few classic seaplane twins in the US - would have to check. Not worth burning holes in skies at 500 USD/hr for Widgeon instead of half of that for Apache/Aztec.
Once more pressing, may look into doing the single eng CFI ride if any discount with DPE, obviously, after prior right seat flying etc. It'd not be intial CFI anyway, so don't need authorised DPE or FSDO staff examiner.

HeliKiwi500
16th Apr 2013, 18:32
Minimum class 2 for CPL in USA

MarkerInbound
16th Apr 2013, 21:33
Minimum class 2 for CPL in USA

To exercise the privileges of a commercial certificate, correct. However, to just take the checkride in a plane or helicopter, only a third class is required. 61.23(a)(3)(vi).

Rotorhead1026
16th Apr 2013, 21:51
MarkerInbound and MartinCh are correct; only a Class III medical is required by FAA for a checkride. If you're doing the ride in a simulator, there's no medical requirement at all.

Hailstop3
17th Apr 2013, 00:43
Wonder why the school you did your flying at, didn't tell you. Probably didn't want to sell you the SE time when you could fly twin. Also, you'd have to consider the extra proficiency training for VFR maneuvres for the checkride and therefore also rental and DPE fee on top of all the other stuff in twin. I'd not do only one class CPL in fixed wing. I know it sounds silly to some, to have CPL in twin, but not legal to fly single - normally the common sense dictates that twin privileges - more complex/advanced, would mean SE built in.

It was 2 weeks of jumping hoops, and was rushed, as well as the instructors having other stuff to focus on, we were just ticking boxes as best we could. The flight school was actually an offshoot of the company I was working for elsewhere so was a 2 week stop in the US to get all certified etc then off elsewhere to fly N reg aircraft. No cost incurred by me thankfully. Never needed the SE as all the work was multi engine anyway. Weird system as you say with the added complexity of twin ops, but you can't fly a single.

MartinCh
17th Apr 2013, 08:01
now it makes more sense, m747.

Marker, Kiwi probably meant PPL level medical. The US system with ATP and CPL being different class, sometimes people mean PPL and say Class 2 as most of the rest of world ahve Class 2 for PPL and Class 1 for ATPL/CPL and possibly other classes for ATC and flight engineers or even aircraft engineers.

I erred regarding CASA checkrides and medical minimum. Misremembered something and put my hand up. Obviously, converting with aim to exercise privileges, no point doing PPL medical only. Only if someone has CPL level validity lapsed and doing additional certificate or rating flight test.
With Euro, Canadian, FAA, recently Malaysian and Australian medicals, I'm going bonkers. Haven't got to need/use the Canadian as the trip across the border never happened past 2 summers. Always time, money, training or job..