PDA

View Full Version : IR Training and Skill Test abroad

12th Apr 2013, 07:51
I'm wondering how things work with CAA:

I have a EASA licence, issued by the CAA. I wish to do the IR practical training and skill test in Belgium.

I think there is no special paperwork involved to do the training.

When it comes to the skill test, what I understand is that
1 The Belgium FE will have to register with the CAA, and to be briefed by them
2 Someone (The Flight School, the FE, or myself?) will have to book a skill test with the CAA, requesting that the Belgium FE be designated as the FE for my skill test.
3 I will pay the 795£ fee to the CAA (I have little doubt about that)

Here are my questions:
1 Will the FE be paid out of the 795£ ? If yes how much will he receive? If the answer is no, or if he will receive too a small amount, it would incur extra cost for me, I'd like to know in advance.
2 If the CAA decides that they want another FE for the test, or to send a supervisor, will I have to pay that other FE or supervisor? Will I have to pay for their expenses and travel cost?
3 Will the CAA demand that the aircraft be equipped with screens?
4 Are there any other things I did not think about that might be relevant?

I'm seriously considering having my licence transferred to Belgium if things become to costly/complicated with the CAA.

Nearly There
12th Apr 2013, 10:10
Have you spoke with the school in Belgium? as far as I'm aware the (uk)CAA wont have anything to do with your test and you wont need to pay them a test fee, the only payment would be to have the rating added to your licence.

I have a UK CPL and did my I/R abroad, it was simply a case of the above, returned to the UK and handed my paperwork to Gatwick wih just the admin fee, although things may have changed.

12th Apr 2013, 16:21
Unfortunately things have change since the EASA, and now the foreign FE must be briefed by the CAA, meaning that in practice, because of the EASA, it wont be possible to have the IR done out of the UK as simply as before.
Screens, huge test fee, NDB approach, all the CAA paraphernalia..

Nearly There
12th Apr 2013, 18:41
Sorry to hear that things have changed and for the worse by the sounds of things...so the CAA can now charge their obscene prices regardless of what country you train & test in?

13th Apr 2013, 08:23
That's my understanding of the rules. But you may ask that your licence be transfered abroad. In that case, the foreign schedule of fees will apply

2close
13th Apr 2013, 11:33
Unfortunately things have change since the EASA, and now the foreign FE must be briefed by the CAA

Could you please quote chapter and verse legislation where that is stated, i.e. the appropriate sections of EU Regulation 1178/2011 and Part FCL AMC?

Cancel my last.

It is in EU Reg 1178/2011 Annex I Appendix 9.

CONDUCT OF THE TEST/CHECK

6. The examiner may choose between different skill test or proficiency check scenarios containing simulated relevant operations developed and approved by the competent authority. Full flight simulators and other training devices, when available, shall be used, as established in this Part.

Then again, what they are briefed to do, what they say they are going to do, what they sign off on the form as having been done and what is actually done can be (and probably are) very different things.

portos8
13th Apr 2013, 15:19
If you do your CPL or IR test in another memberstate then the licensing state, you pay the testfee of the country where you do the test. You pay the license issuing fee to the memberstate that issues the license.

Actually things have become incredibly easy and much better under EASA. Y
ou can do the training anywhere in Europe, at any EASA certified FTO and have the license issued by any authority, as long as that authority holds your medical file.

So if you are from the UK and do the test in Belgium, you pay the Belgian testfee for the CPL or IR test. Then you take the paperwork the UK CAA who will issue you the license or put the rating in your license. They will charge you the standard license/rating issue.

This is how it works and it will change the industry. You can now finally look for the best training options anywhere in the EU, do the training and test there but have the license issued by the state where you reside.

Training and testfees varry hugely along the different memberstates so if you are intending to do any flighttraining it is time to start shopping around! Plus you do not need to do the CPL anymore in the same country where you do the ATPL theory, that is something from the past, so also there you can start choosing the best place to do the different parts of training.

13th Apr 2013, 15:57
Quote:2close
Could you please quote chapter and verse legislation where that is stated, i.e. the appropriate sections of EU Regulation 1178/2011 and Part FCL AMC?

Answer
FCL 1015
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_Briefing%20of%20non%20UK%20ExaminersV1_Sept12.pdf

My understanding of the briefing is that the FE must conduct the test under CAA rules, and that the fees are the CAA ones, and that the test booking procedure is the CAA one. I may have understood wrongly. Has any of you any real experience post EASA? I would like to ask a FE, unfortunately, although the CAA writes that a list of foreign and briefed FE will be available on their website, I could not find that list.

portos8
13th Apr 2013, 19:39
The procedures are EASA, not CAA. All testing and training is uniform under EASA, there are no national rules anymore. The testfee is the one of the country where you do the test. The FTO has to inform the UK CAA 3 days before the test that it will take place but the booking procedure is as in the country where the test takes place. In fact the examinor is appointed by the FTO now, not by the national authority anymore. UK CAA can issue the license but is not involved in the testing if you do it in another member state.
Contact any of the popular FTO's who do this regularly and they will confirm that rules and regulations throughout the EU are now the uniform according to Parts 1178/2011
If you want to do the test in Belgium then you can if the FE is briefed by the UK CAA. This is an easy procedure that happens online, nothing fancy. He does the test according to EASA rules, you take the paperwork to the UK CAA and they will issue you the license. Done.

Airforcejunior
3rd May 2013, 11:23
Hey guys, I'm in abit of a sticky situation, I have done my ME/IR training in Iceland and I am wondering how the application for the test and the issue of the IR onto my UK CAA CPL works?

Does the Icelandic CAA do the test as normal and I fill out the normal paperwork, form SRG 1161 if I remember correctly with the Icelandic examiners details? Or does the ICAA need to contact the UK CAA to initiate the test and send them all of my paperwork beforehand?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Airforcejunior
8th May 2013, 16:42
Right, so I have now passed my MEP and ME/IR skills test in Iceland.

The examiner had done the briefing required by the UK CAA and had got confirmation from them that he was my designated examiner so that's all good. The other requirement was that the skills test report form be sent to the UK CAA within 14 days of skills test date, now is this the Icelandic one or the standard UK CAA form? And does it apply to both MEP rating as well as the ME/IR?

It is all very confusing since EASA came in and I would appreciate if anyone has any information to help me.

Level Attitude
8th May 2013, 16:57
now is this the Icelandic one or the standard UK CAA form?
AFJ
You will be applying to the UK CAA to issue a rating attached to a UK CAA
issued Licence having passed a test with a UK CAA designated examiner.
What do you think?

It is all very confusing since EASA came in and I would appreciate
if anyone has any information to help me
I would ask for some money back from your Examiner.
They should know all this - that's the whole point of their completing a briefing
on what is required - and it is their (not your) responsibility to have
returned the skill test reports (plural) within the specified 14 days.