PDA

View Full Version : Select are verify VNAV path?

akafrank07
9th Apr 2013, 23:50
On the approach part of the checklist i'm reading, it says on one of the stages to:

'Select are verify VNAV path'

Does this mean to select the degrees of the VNAV path? if so would this be done via the MCP?

Thanks

4redsyourdead
10th Apr 2013, 12:03
I'm guessing you talking about during non precision approaches. You select VNAV on the mcp having put the type Of approach into the FMC. This allows VNAV path then using the speed intervention button you can then be in charge of your own speed whilst still maintaining the path. Unlike using it in the decent for example where it would then default to VNAV speed. It's confusing. Rather new to the 737 myself so somebody with more experience may answer it better.

81Horse
11th Apr 2013, 05:13
It should probably say: "Select and verify VNAV PATH".

Even better would be: "Select VNAV and verify VNAV PATH".

In other words: "Push the VNAV button on the MCP, and verify VNAV PATH is displayed as an FMA".

My best guess, without seeing the checklist you are using.

Denti
11th Apr 2013, 08:55
Really depends what aircraft type that checklist is for and what kind of procedures you use.

akafrank07
20th Apr 2013, 04:55
It should probably say: "Select and verify VNAV PATH".

Even better would be: "Select VNAV and verify VNAV PATH".

In other words: "Push the VNAV button on the MCP, and verify VNAV PATH is displayed as an FMA".

My best guess, without seeing the checklist you are using.

It says when your inbound 2NM before ND descent point;

Set MDA on MCP
Select 'or' verify VNAV path
Select 'or' verify speed intervention

Denti Really depends what aircraft type that checklist is for and what kind of procedures you use.

It a RYR checklist for a 737-800

Denti
20th Apr 2013, 06:11
Seems to be an extremely company tailored, SOP driven checklist. But it is the old LNAV/VNAV approach procedure with speed intervention to be able to select your own speeds. The explanations above by 4reds and 81horse are spot on there.

In my outfit we simply press the approach button to arm the IAN approach mode and the rest works from there. Simpler, more streamlined with ILS approaches and overall easier as there is no twiddling around with intervention modes or MCP altitudes. Doesn't work on RNP AR appraoches yet though.