PDA

View Full Version : PPL Pa-28 vs Cessna

Endamil
9th Apr 2013, 17:30
I would be grateful for other wisdom in guiding me
I am at present trying to choose which overseas or US JAR FTO and have to choose between aircraft types also
I have flown both previously though only 5 hours on each and found the cessna easier but of neglible difference really
By the way - narrowed down between AAA in California and EASA in Florida thouhg nothing confirmed $10340 AAA for 4 weeks vs $7995 EASA for 3 weeks in a Cessna 152

Enda

BabyBear
9th Apr 2013, 17:47
Personal choice on the type, with 5hrs in each I think you are in the best position to choose.

I would suggest you don't pay the full amount up front, not even on arrival!

BB

localflighteast
9th Apr 2013, 18:35
Which type are you most likely to fly after you get your license?
that would influence my choice a lot , I think.

As a personal preference if I was going for the Cessna, I'd go for the C172 rather than the 152. Bit more room and carrying power

thing
9th Apr 2013, 19:36
As above. I would say that the 28 is the most benign of the three, although they are all benign. The 152 can be a bit twitchy in a gusty crosswind.

Pilot DAR
9th Apr 2013, 21:28
Focus on the 152 because it is twitchy, compared to the other choices, it'll make you a better pilot. But, spend so time in a Piper or other types too if you can find them.

Your managing the differences will also make you a better pilot. You will know that you are a competent pilot when you can cross types with a read of the Flight Manual, and a brief check flight.

Though they do have system differences, and their own quirks, they are all adequately similar to each other. if you're competent in one, you should be at least safe in any other.

Ebbie 2003
9th Apr 2013, 22:25
I learned on a 172 and own a PA28-181

The PA28 is essier to fly not that either is really difficult.

I would say learn on a Cessna - seemed to require more attention to the rudder (or maybe it was just the CFI in the Cessna saying "more rudder" - the PA28 didn't come equiped with a CFI!).

If you know what you'll be flying once you have you licence it may make sense to factor that into you decision too.

sevenstrokeroll
9th Apr 2013, 23:16
I would take the PA28. I've flown in all the types and taught in all the types. The PA28 is the most capable and comfortable of all three.

The C152 is just awful in terms of comfort ( unless you are a dwarf).

The low slung wing on the piper makes for better inflight visibility...and if you are in the summer, the piper may be equippeed with air conditioning.

AS far as ease of flying...the PA28 and C172/152 are all in the same league. Twitchy in crosswind...boy, I wouldn't use that description for anything.

I've landed PA28 (arrow) in 60 knot winds (KMRY).

I would also choose california over florida...you can do some mountain flying in california, and again the PA28 is better there in my view.

NEVER pay up front!

sevenstrokeroll
9th Apr 2013, 23:20
in 1979 I flew a PA28161 from san francisco to chicago and back and it was still one of the best times in my life (airline pilot now). It would have been agony in a cessna, but very enjoyable in the piper!

A and C
9th Apr 2013, 23:46
I own both types and as said above both will do the training job but on the whole I would go for the C152 unless you are too big to fit the aircraft, this is based on cost alone.

If you want an affordable trainer that will teach you much more about aircraft control then you need to seek out a PA38.

India Four Two
10th Apr 2013, 01:20
and if you are in the summer, the piper may be equipped with air conditioning.

Richard,
The OP lives in Ireland, so I don't think "summer" is an issue. He is probably more concerned about whether the door seals let the rain in. ;)

My preference would be a Cessna. No groveling under the wing during pre-flight, two doors, a better sight-seeing experience for passengers and I've always found them easier to fly than Pipers.

500 above
10th Apr 2013, 06:55
The Cessna has my vote. I've instructed on both. The high wing will keep the sun off you, its cheaper to operate and you will use your feet more than in a Piper PA28.

thing
10th Apr 2013, 07:27
I've landed PA28 (arrow) in 60 knot winds (KMRY).:confused::confused: Are those US knots?

By 'twitchy in a crosswind' I meant twitchier than a 28 or 172, all are benign.

grafity
10th Apr 2013, 09:50
There's not a whole lot different in my opinion, I'm currently flying both. The C172 has better visibility, especially for passengers in the back, but I kind of prefer the Piper over longer distance, the 1 door thing is crap though especially when bringing passengers. My personal view is that Cessna=4X4, Piper=(1 door)Saloon

I wouldn't worry about what you're flying afterwards either, I jumped straight across from Piper to Cessna, it was seamless. Maybe as previously stated the C152 is the best way to go, cheap and harder to handle if previous commenters are correct.

TractorBoy
10th Apr 2013, 11:49
I'd look at the fact that you're saving $2000 in a 152. A 2 hour(ish) PA28checkride after getting your licence will mean you can fly both and you'd have saved a fistload of cash.

Katamarino
10th Apr 2013, 12:11
in 1979 I flew a PA28161 from san francisco to chicago and back and it was still one of the best times in my life (airline pilot now). It would have been agony in a cessna, but very enjoyable in the piper!

In 2005 I flew a C172S from East Coast Florida to the coast of California and back; it was just as comfortable as a Piper :p

Dave Gittins
10th Apr 2013, 12:31
India Four Two - I wouldn't make the fuel drains thing an issue.

Only 3 to deal with on a PA-28.

A new-ish Cessna has about 13 and the ones under the engine can cause a fair bit of crawling around to loocate. .... not to mention the need (depends on whether the owner is happy with 18 stone scrambling up his 172 stepholds) to find a stepladder to check the wing tanks.

I'd go for the money saving and get a 152 to chuck about a bit. Spend some of the saving in a couple of hours converting to whatever you want to fly next.

(And have enough left to do a couple of hours on something sexy like a Cirrus).

mad_jock
10th Apr 2013, 13:30
If you want an affordable trainer that will teach you much more about aircraft control then you need to seek out a PA38

I would whole heartily go with that solution.

david viewing
10th Apr 2013, 20:17
I fly both and in my opinion it all comes down to who does the refuelling. In the US where the FBO rushes out before you even stopped, the Cessna is ideal. But in uk, where it's self-service with a grudge, the PA28 is far far more practical.

Endamil
10th Apr 2013, 22:16
Thanks a million to all including the weather men !! By the way, I was back in Ireland from the Middle East for 2 weeks and saw no rain but came back to it here !
The advice was excellent and there is a fairly decent consensus - I think it's Cal and in a Cessna 152 with a PA28 after also

Thanks a lot again

Enda

Rhino25782
11th Apr 2013, 21:38
Hi,

It seems you've made up for mind already. I think you are making the right call.

I learned to fly in California at AAA earlier this year and loved every minute of it. I'd go for the 152 - if not for the saved bucks, do it to increase your chances of going home with a PPL. AAA only has one PA-28 and all aircraft need their maintenance times. While I was there, one of my fellow students had to go home without a PPL because the PA-28 was out of service on the day of his skill test and the neighboring school's PA-28 was undergoing a paint job. Much better to have a number of 152s to choose from!

Enjoy your time there!

sevenstrokeroll
11th Apr 2013, 22:43
not so fast.

it never hurts to make a 180 when you know you have screwed up...

unless you are a dwarf, the C152 will reinforce how uncomfortable flying really can be.and if you like the idea of bumping your head on the wing, or falling off the strut to check the gas...the 152 is your bird.

maybe you will have a good looking girl as your CFI and your bums can touch.

but money is money

if you want to fly a high wing, why not get a super cub instead of a C152...

A and C
13th Apr 2013, 09:59
As said above the Super Cub is a delightful aircraft to fly, but hardly a practical and economic trainer in this day & age.