PDA

View Full Version : Mini Operation Theater within Aircraft.

prashantakerkar
9th Apr 2013, 11:28
Is it possible to design a Mini Operation Theater within Aircraft in future by Aircraft Manufacturers ?.

Space could be a constraint in current design of aircraft.

This would be useful for passengers who are small children, adults, pregnant women, old people on aircraft board.

Surgeon will be available on the Airplane to attend emergency medical cases of passengers.

The Mini Operation theater will have facilities such as Blood bottles, ECG Machines, Bloop Pressure Machines, Surgical Instruments, Saline bottles etc

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

grumbles69
9th Apr 2013, 12:20
I thought April 1st was last week?

homonculus
9th Apr 2013, 18:25
Complete nonsense.

gingernut
9th Apr 2013, 19:47
Surgeon will be available on the Airplane to attend emergency medical cases:D Prashant, could I have a pint of what you've been drinking ?

All joking apart, seem to remember reading about a 707 which used to travel 'round the South East Sub-Continent performing cataract surgery. (Although the plane was firmly on terra firma before scalpels were unleashed.)

And of course, if you really want to know about flying hospitals,you'd be better speaking to either the RAF, or the helicopter guys in Afghanistan.

Endeavour
9th Apr 2013, 19:54
Yes, its possible!

The ORBIS Flying Eye Hospital is literally a hospital with wings that brings together dedicated eye care professionals and aviators to give the gift of sight to developing countries around the world.

Onboard the refurbished DC-10 jet aircraft, local doctors, nurses and technicians work alongside ORBIS’s international medical team to exchange knowledge and improve skills.

ORBIS - Flying Eye Hospital (http://www.orbis.org.uk/Default.aspx?cid=9250)

homonculus
9th Apr 2013, 20:43
Guys

Orbis is a hospital facility that carries equipment and medical staff to parts of the world lacking these facilities. It carries no passengers.

This chap is talking about putting a hospital on a commercial aircraft full of passengers in case one fancies an appendectomy or a facelift.

In fact there are three - all owned by people described as heads of state. They too don't carry passengers except their entourage. In fact one has a second 747 for the entourage.

But for real life and people who have to earn the money they spend it is total and utter nonsense. I wish he would tell us why he is asking

gingernut
9th Apr 2013, 20:47
So come on Prashant, what's the (?hidden) agenda ?

prashantakerkar
10th Apr 2013, 05:10
Thank you.

I feel it will be a value added service offered by Airline carriers / operators.

Remember i use the word "Mini" -> It means that it is not a Big Hospital built
within a Commercial Airplane, but a small nursing room having basic facilities.

A Small room built within Aircraft where in emergencies, the passengers can be taken for nursing care.

As i mention before, Announcements will be made before flight departure on the board "Fasten your air belt, flight takeoff will take in moments, there is a Doctor / Medical Practitioner on board who will help you, assist you in emergencies".

Image you are a passenger on the Flight Board, As a customer/passenger of the flight, you will be happy about the caring services offered by the
air carrier.

I feel Major airliners (Aviation industry) viz Lufthansa, Delta Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Qantas Airways, Singapore Airlines, Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines, should take this initiative and see to it that in future, this facility is available to the customers.

For this to happen two things are required to be implemented.

1. Air carriers/operators tie up with Medical Practitioner / Doctors.
2. Airplane manufactures in future design the air crafts for adding a small
nursing room for serving the customers in emergencies.

Note :

1. I am putting emphasis on the word "Mini" - i.e. Small.
2. Private Jet i.e. Charter planes may already have these facility inbuilt.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Fostex
10th Apr 2013, 08:29
Nonsense dot com

prashantakerkar
10th Apr 2013, 09:24
Thank you.

I feel the word "Operation Theater" could be misleading,
henceforth we will refer to it as a small nursing room within the aircraft.

It can happen that the passengers who are travelling internationally or local flights are taking the flights also because of emergency reasons.

Emergency Reasons
-------------------

1. Attend Business Meeting/s.
2. Attending Conferences/Seminars.
3. Marriage, Engagements and other social religious customs.
4. Meeting those who are critically ill who is a friend, relative of the passenger
5. Funeral (Death).

In the above cases, it can happen that the passenger catches the flight because its a do or die situation for him/her. But it can also happen that the passenger (child, adult) was suffering a high fever, cold, viral/bacterial infections etc. So in this case the doctor on board will treat the passenger.

The medical expenses incurred on the board will be given by the passenger
to the doctor for his/her services.

So irrespective whether on the aircraft whether the patient is unwell or medically fit, the passenger will have a comfort level zone for his flight journey.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Fostex
10th Apr 2013, 09:41
- How many medical emergencies occur on flights as a function of total commercial passenger flights? Answer, very very few.
- When medical treatment is not required a significant part of the aircraft is generating no revenue. Furthermore a medical professional with a large salary is being paid to sit around doing nothing.
- Most of the general populace are intelligent enough to know not to travel when they have a pending medical issue.

As I said, nonsense dot com.

prashantakerkar
10th Apr 2013, 09:54
Thank you.

Its finally "Value Added Service". Imagine yourself to be passenger of the plane irrespective whether you are ill or fit. You will have comfort level zone during the flight journey.

Paying the Doctor for his services on plane can be easily afforded by the aircraft carriers who are earning handsomely.

As you know there are billions of money spend on manufacturing aircraft.
so for the airline manufacturer its addition of some more money for making space available for the small nursing room within the aircraft.

A Computer aided design (CAD) software can easily help the Aeronautical Design engineer to locate the small nursing room within the aircraft. I Feel the length of the plane has to be extended and maybe the optimum place could be behind the cockpit.

Dassault Systèmes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Systèmes)
3D CAD design software CATIA - Dassault Systèmes (http://www.3ds.com/products/catia/)

I feel it is worthwhile to send these suggestions to British Airways, Lufthansa, Delta Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qantas Airways, GulfAir, Air India, Qatar Airways etc and other major airliners and get their feedback.

If they like the idea they will implement otherwise no.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Fostex
10th Apr 2013, 09:55
can be easily afforded by the aircraft carriers who are earning handsomely.

Ho ho! :ok:

prashantakerkar
10th Apr 2013, 11:43
Thank you.

Its a good point mentioned from your side regarding the fees to be paid to the Doctor for his/her services on the airplane board by the airline carrier.

Ultimately it is the Top Management's decision of the respective Airline carrier / operator viz British Airways, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific, Delta Airlines, Gulf air, Emirates Airlines, Air India, Singapore Airlines, Qantas Airways etc to implement these suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

homonculus
10th Apr 2013, 12:43
Dear Mr Walsh

We chaps on pprune reckon you are making shed loads of money (PS why are my shares not going up???) so we want you to stretch your aircraft. I am not too sure about the technical aspects but I have a friend with a rotary saw who can cut your old 747s in half and you can cobble some extra bits on. Your pilots may need to press the accelerator a bit harder at take off

Then we are going to build a resuscitation area. In the UK this is normally about 20 metres square. You will still have room for the odd passenger, but you will of course have to keep room for the anaesthetist, the paediatrician, the psychiatrist, the surgeon (or surgeons as we will need a cardiac surgeon, a neurosurgeon, a GI surgeon and a vascular surgeon). The women will probably want a gynaecologist as well. Dont forget the nurses!!! Not sure if you can get them to work for £100,000 a year as in the NHS because I estimate they will be asked to see less than one patient a year and will go mad with boredom unless they raid the drinks cabinet.

mutt
10th Apr 2013, 13:20
Actually we operate (pardon the pun) 3 aircraft with complete operating theatres !! So from a technical point of view, its extremely possible, but quite possibly cost prohibited in a commercial environment.

Rumor has it that the previous boss had "living donors" onboard :)

Mutt

Thomas coupling
10th Apr 2013, 13:38
Prussian tanker - stop saying thank you!

You're talking gibberish, perhaps this is where you are from?

MarkerInbound
10th Apr 2013, 21:11
Say you take out 12 seats from a 250 seat plane for your clinic. That's 5%. And we'll say the break even load factor is 80%. You're asking the airline to give up 25% of their profit for what might be a once a month event if that. And the history of LLCs shows people don't care about anything except low fares. If there are two flights between A and B and one is 5% cheaper, that's the one everyone is going to book.

prashantakerkar
11th Apr 2013, 06:06
Thank you.

I feel the word "Operation Theater" could be misleading,
henceforth we will refer to it as a small nursing room within the aircraft.

I Feel the Maximum - Max would be 3 Doctors on board in which Two Doctors
General Physicians (Doctor of Medicine - M.D), in emergencies they can perform small surgery/operation and One Nurse.

I Feel the Min would be 1 Doctor on board in which the Doctor
General Physician (Doctor of Medicine - M.D), in emergencies can perform small surgery/operation.

So the Range is 1-3.

Ultimately it is the Top Management's Decision of the Airliners to accept these suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

homonculus
11th Apr 2013, 06:18
PT

What part of no do you not understand

Everyone is saying no. We have tried to be amusing but it is starting to be a tad annoying. General practitioners can't do any operation that needs to be done in an emergency on a flight. Perhaps the Most likely operation would be appendicitis and this needs a surgeon and nurses and anaesthetist etc etc.

I thought you had given up the operating theatre idea and just wanted a treatment area?

Then the most likely problem could be chest pain. So you need a cardiologist etc etc

This is in medical terms a complete non starter. I for one won't be wasting any more time on this thread. I had hoped you would tell us why you are asking - perhaps a relative of yours was taken ill on a flight - and then we could have had a useful discussion about how the airlines get medical advice, the incidence of illness and death on board etc etc. just repeating yourself isn't very interesting

prashantakerkar
12th Apr 2013, 04:16
Thank you.

Cockpit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit)
Doctor of Medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine)

The Mini Nursing room will have all the facilities viz Surgical Instruments (In case a minor and not a major surgery to be performed), Medicines (First aid box) ,Operation Table, Lights, Monitors, ECG Machine, Blood pressure machine, Stethoscopes, Antibiotics curing the common cold, High fever (flu), stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting, back pain etc, Blood bottles, Saline Bottles etc. Remember we cannot and we should not have a Big Hospital (Having Different Labs) built within the plane because of its dimensions. A Journey time of 4,8,12,16,24 hours. The General Physicians (Doctor of Medicine - M.D) can also also perform minor surgeries if required.

Ultimately, it is the top management of airline carriers viz British airways, Lufthansa, Delta Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Gulf air, Emirates Airlines, Qatar Airways, Air India etc who will be taking the implementation decision and whether it is worthwhile or not after modifying the aircraft design, adding medical instruments and hiring doctor/s for offering their services

A Range of Max - 3, Min - 1 will be the numbers for the nursing team on the board.

Combinations
------------

Team of 3 Size
--------------

All 3 Doctors - Perhaps.
2 Doctors, 1 Nurse - Recommended.
2 Nurses, 1 Doctor - Recommended.
All 3 Nurses - Not recommended.

Team of 2 Size
--------------

1 Doctor, 1 Nurse - Recommended.
Both Doctors - Perhaps.
Both Nurses - Not Recommended.

Team of 1 Size
--------------

1 Doctor - Recommended.
1 Nurse - Not Recommended.

So my dear friends, it is not me or you who is going to take this decision. I am just going to forward my suggestions to them. if they like as i mention before, they will go forward maybe keep it currently on hold or they may not like to go on this at all.

I thank you all for coming on the forum and spending your valuable time on this discussions.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar