PDA

View Full Version : CASA issues new CAO48: F & D, big changes

John Eacott
9th Apr 2013, 08:09
New Rules (http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/newrules/ops/nfrm/1202os-annexc.pdf) has a complete rewrite of CAO 48, to take effect from the end of this month and activate in three years.

Having seen the original proposals which included any private flying as reportable (during time off) I'm pleased I can't find any further reference to such a move, but there's a lot to take in and for AOC holders to work on to incorporate the changes :hmm:

Fareastdriver
9th Apr 2013, 08:55
Reading through that is the first time I have been able to understand Australian FDPs.
Not so many of the 'therefores' 'not withstndings' etc.

topendtorque
9th Apr 2013, 09:11
Three years to implement , will need all of that to understand and construct an excel sheet to follow it.

At first blush I note a couple of issues, "home base", well for a mustering pilot that is his swag which has the capacity to move at will each day.

But of more serious "no definition." issue is an emerging problem for 'Sand Gropers', under rest periods, moving across time zones, Table 7.1.

Coming over to the Territory for a days work involves resetting one's clock forward one and one half hours and twenty five years. :{

Shawn Coyle
9th Apr 2013, 16:07
Standing by for Paco to write the 'plain english' version...

Arm out the window
9th Apr 2013, 23:19
We've reached a new level of impenetrability with this one ... in all fairness, CASA should commission and pay for a freely-distributed computer program that will allow you to enter all variables and crunch the numbers for you, including records.

A good opportunity for commercial IT companies to make a buck or 2, but the source material as written should be clear and easily understood. This is not!

(Yes, we could all work it out given time and head scratching, but why must they make it so convoluted?)

And how about the initial and recurrent training requirement? Why single out fatigue management? Of course it's an important issue, but so are a hundred other things in the orders, and we're expected to know about them without another training burden being put on AOC holders. Sure, stick it in on a 20.11 day and tick the box, but this seems a bit over the top.

to take effect from the end of this month and activate in three years.

Sorry, my brain filled up half-way through the appendices - does this mean we have to start complying at the end of this month, or keep doing things the old way for three years and then start?

topendtorque
10th Apr 2013, 01:16
As far as I remember on one read through, and I ain't busting myself to check, it says that existing AOC holders can notify use of the new Orders anytime until March 2016, but any new or intending AOC holders must use it as SOP straight up.

So that means X++ amount of extra dollars in time etc to set up.

Whether there will be any sort of dispos under the new regime is another question yet to check. I did note that the longest duty period seems to revolve around 7.00 AM local time.

This is crazy when pretty much all serious pilots chronological clocks start at daylight, so it will be "unusual" and therefore more tiring to start later and thus finish later to get that extra hour without hiring an extra pilot.

The whole deal looks like the proverbial camel, I.E. A horse designed by committee..

10th Apr 2013, 06:12
So when the CASRs arrive:confused:, do we get this replaced as the head of power for this CAO will disappear.

We go ahead and change our company OM to incorporate this and then get lumbered with something else in 12-18-24 months time.:ugh:

Please tell me I am wrong:sad: