PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some guidance and advice, pilot/life path

overdrive148
9th Apr 2013, 03:44
Okay, after scouring the stickies at the top of the thread list, I figured it'd be best to go ahead and post about my specific situation.

I am 21 years old and hold a private pilot's license that I earned when I was 17. I am a current student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University pursuing a BS in Professional Aeronautics, now Aeronautics since they renamed it. I did my first solo at 22 hours (changed instructors and aircraft halfway through training) and got my license at 69. I have 95 hours total and haven't flown for quite some time due to the cost of flying and college. My father has helped me along the way with financing both, but I chose to stick to college to do well and help keep costs down.

I have wanted to be a pilot for quite some time, although the exact way I've wanted to fly has changed over time. I tried AFROTC for a while and didn't quite think it suited me. I got a job through my father working under a subcontractor for the Navy making trucks drive themselves and made some pretty good money for the few months it lasted before things fell apart (not due to my actions) and I was kind of strung on with "two more weeks" repeatedly for 4-5 months. Anyway, I decided that I wanted to try taking things on my own and decided to move out 6 months ago. I live in Oklahoma now, working a job at Braum's (think restaurant/fast food/grocery) being near friends and learning to live since most of everything tended to be taken care of already at home financially (I helped everywhere I could when possible).

Now after having some taste of what it's like to work under these circumstances (and having my desire to achieve more than it bolstered -even- more than before http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif), I'm wondering what to do next. The FAFSA for financing laughs at me for aid (family situation) and dad suddenly got cold feet after I left home after saying he'd pay as long as I did well. Deans list every possible time so far, 3.8+ GPA overall.

I earned my associate's in Prof. Aero (graduation on the 19th of this month!) and am less than a year from my BS (if I can keep going full time that is, ERAU is expensive) and I'm not sure that I can afford half time let alone full time if my dad cuts me off. I have looked into different possible careers other than the Air Force and I am heavily considering flying small corporate jets.

I suppose I'm asking for some guidance from some of the less 'green' people (and pilots). What can I do with my degree, and where (or who) should I start talking to? Do you think I should take my associate's and try to get a flying job or hours or get stable, or should I stick it in for my bachelor's? Any help would be extremely appreciated, I'm doing research but personalized responses would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

factor-x
10th Apr 2013, 20:16
Dear overdrive148,

I would advise you to not over complicate yourself. If there is anyway you can ammend things with your father just go back to him and ask him for his support if its still within his means.

My dad financed most of my aviation training up to a certain point, then financial problems came around and we had a significant change in lifestyle. I had to go out and get a call center job to finance what was left of my training, and thats what I did.

I already have PPL, CPL, IR, MEL, and Im working towards the CFI. If you really want to do this, if you want to become a pilot, you will have to do anything LEGAL and honest to help you achive this goal. I had to swallow my pride and accept help from others.

I just took the plunge a few days ago and Im still trying to assimilate that fact that I just let myself go and that now Im on track pursuing my aviation dream. I quit my day job to study full time for the CFI. Within a few months I'll have to start working as a CFI and also get another job to help pay all my bills. But we do what we have to do.

Develop a support network of guys that already work inside the industry. Get jobs in aviation companies.

I had a really hard time explaining employers from other industries how my skills and my aviation degrees would benefit them. Now at age 29, Im ready to move into the aviation industry.

Feel free to private message me if you want. I'm always there for guys that need some support and motivation.

overdrive148
12th Apr 2013, 05:59
Much appreciated for the reply factor-x, was wondering if anyone would respond :P

I've been trying to smooth things over with him but apparently doing well in college classes and learning to live on my own qualifies as throwing my life away. I don't know if I can fix things, I mean, i'm sure most people on this forum haven't had it as easy as I have. I still appreciate what he's done, don't get me wrong, just wish he'd stick it out like he said he would.

I don't mind working in order to afford things one bit, I'm just not sure what to do with the sudden financial stress of very expensive college. Trying to find a job somewhere close to aviation but I don't know where to start. Dad said Boeing would pay for my pilot's licenses/ratings just for working for them but I doubt that.

An impressive list of ratings and almost to CFI you have there, it's good to talk to someone else who's at least kind of had the same situation I'm going through. I hope you do fantastically and land your CFI rating and a great job to boot.

I'm still not sure how viable shooting for a corporate pilot is myself.