PDA

View Full Version : zulu.2 v bose A20

Helitaz
8th Apr 2013, 12:57
Hey guys,

Yes it's another headset thread, I have read over most of the other posts in regards but still can't make my damn mind up, atm I'm flying noisy piston aircraft, I've had the chance to use the A20s for a number of hours, they make a huge difference, I did notice when I looked over my right shoulder the seal on the right cup would break and I would lose the anr, found them very comfortable overall and of great quality.

I can purchase the A20s for $1250 from aus, or the zulu.2s for 760 odd from the states plus postage.

From personal experience are the A20s worth the extra $450

Would love to hear some of your experiences if you have had the opportunity to use both.

Cheers.

The Green Goblin
8th Apr 2013, 13:01
Zulus all the way.

Old Akro
8th Apr 2013, 13:26
Bose all the way

Piano Man
8th Apr 2013, 13:33
In a beaver, none ANR all the way...

...seriously...ZULUs

Old Akro
8th Apr 2013, 13:34
The guys who like Bose like Bose. The guys who like Zulu like Zulu.

I own Bose A20 & Bose X. I have only used Zulu once in a mate's TBM. Both he & I think the sound quality of Bose is slightly better, but both are good. One of his 6 sets of Zulu's was broken. I suspect that the Bose might be more durable and the Bose service & spares is excellent.

You'll like whatever you choose.

deadcut
8th Apr 2013, 14:32
Dude 450 bucks to spare! You could buy a tablet as well as a headset!
I'm buying Zulus as soon as I start flying again.

JekiJock
8th Apr 2013, 15:49
I'm currently using the Bose x and am also upgrading. I mostly fly an Islander so I need a bloody good headset. I've used both the Zulu 2s and the A20's a couple of times each and i'm sticking with Bose.

I have a big head and I find on the Zulus the mic boom doesn't come all the way in front of my mouth which is annoying. The Bose is much, much better with sunglasses on, very uncomfortable using them with Zulus.

Another small thing was I managed to drain the batteries on both a couple of times. I was carrying spares but the Bose where better when being used as a passive set. Which in the C208 I do as its so quiet I don't bother using up all the battery life.

Aussie Bob
8th Apr 2013, 19:06
I own both types, both are aweful with flat batteries, carry spares or carry earplugs. I would tend towards saving the $450 ... BUT in my opion the Bose are slightly better but definitely not $450 better. $100 perhaps.

Cirrussy
8th Apr 2013, 19:20
Bose. I've got both, in three years the Zulu's been back three times for repairs - not particularly durable.

Helitaz
8th Apr 2013, 19:41
Bose. I've got both, in three years the Zulu's been back three times for repairs - not particularly durable.

I see this type of comment in a lot of other posts, which is why I keep changing my mind, although no one can fault the customer service in getting them repaired etc.

The A20s with bt can be had for 1095usd online in the states but if they write that value on the box....

seconds
8th Apr 2013, 22:38
I always like the Zulus. Seemed more robust than the Bose, and cheaper.

Some secondhand pairs if your interested:
LightSPEED Aviation ZULU ANR Pilot Headset « SecondHandPilot.com.au (http://secondhandpilot.com.au/lightspeed-aviation-zulu-anr-pilot-headset/)
Lightspeed Zulu 1 ANR headset « SecondHandPilot.com.au (http://secondhandpilot.com.au/lightspeed-zulu-1-anr-headset/)

Old Akro
8th Apr 2013, 23:27
but if they write that value on the box

Above $1k is a lottery. I've never had duty (GST) levied on stuff up to about $1.600. But I have a mate who was hit for it a few dollars over $1,000.

kingRB
8th Apr 2013, 23:48
Done about 1200 hours on my current pair of A20's now and touch wood they are still holding up and working perfectly.

I don't try to be excessively rough with them but the nature of my flying I do a lot of turn arounds in very dusty environment so they definitely are not getting as good treatment as they could. Paint has started to wear off the power button and thats about it.

Conversely i've seen Zulus starting to lose paint and look worn and daggy after 50 hours of use. I know its only superficial but that kind of thing would **** me off after dropping close to a grand on them.

My money's on Bose.

Helitaz
9th Apr 2013, 02:12
but if they write that value on the box

Above $1k is a lottery. I've never had duty (GST) levied on stuff up to about $1.600. But I have a mate who was hit for it a few dollars over $1,000.

Definitely a gamble, have you got a particular seller you can recommend (pm if need be) I have heard of one website that apparently will sometimes undervalue an item to save us a few bucks, from memory we will end up paying 30% on an item over 1k so an extra 315 for the bose from the states which are 1050aus so 1365 plus postage around 1400? Or 1250 from Aus, definitely a saving to be made if the import swings my way, only marginal I guess, and probably not worth the risk, already spending top dollar what's an extra 200 even less if I skip bluetooth.

Ultralights
9th Apr 2013, 02:44
i have flown 1000 hrs with my Zulus, never had a fault, though i have replaced the ear and head padding as they simply wore out.

Old Akro
9th Apr 2013, 03:50
I forget the exact duty rates. But its notionally 10%. I think it might be 2% duty then 10% GST. Theoretically, I think its levied on the value including freight.

I find the big issue is postage. Fedex or UPS can be 10 x that of USPS and some sellers charge a consignment fee. So, understand the shipping component before you buy.

If you have the opportunity to buy the headset through a business, then you effectively get the 10% GST back, which often closes the gap significantly once you pay freight and credit card forex fees.

Marv Golden has a good reputation, but I have not used them. I use Aircraft Spruce a bit, but their shipping charges are not great. Over the years, I've bought a couple of pairs of DC's, and 3 sets of Bose and ended up getting them all from Skylines. In each case wanting then now has outweighed the couple of hundred dollars saving.

Ebay is worth a look. Freight from private sellers is often a lot cheaper. A set of headphones sent USPS should be under USD$50.

I've never been charged duty - including on the HP laptop I'm using now that I paid about $1400 for (vs HT's $3600 at the time). I'd be optimistic about escaping duty.

Ovation
9th Apr 2013, 07:12
I keep an ANR headset on board for each seat (4), and have a variety of models.

When I purchased my present aircraft in 2006 it came with a pair of Bose X (A10), In 2009 I got a Lightspeed Zulu ANR with Bluetooth and sold a then spare DC H10-13X ANR to another Ppruner from NZ. Last year at Oshkosh I got the Bose A20 with Bluetooth and am retiring my DC H10-13X ANR (now for sale @ $375 - PM me if interested).

WHile there's very little difference between them, my preference is the Lightspeed Zulu for performance and comfort, but the Bose X is also extremely good.

The Bose A20 gets marked down for no other reason than the cable is way to stiff, heavy and uncomfortable where it drapes over my arm, and I don't seem to be able to find a decent way of keeping it clear.

When it comes to the Bluetooth functionality however, the Bose is better than the Lightspeed, which for some odd reason won't connect seamlessly every time.

NIK320
9th Apr 2013, 07:25
I got the zulus second hand from a friend when he went bose a year ago.
The control unit was replaced under warranty just before I purchased them, since then I have only had to replace the earseals after one split.
They are doing the trick well thus far.

Another one you may wish to consider is the clarity aloft link. It does look rather comfortable and one of my mates claims they are quieter than the A20's.
I'll be looking at those when the zulu's finally give out.

I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth on my zulu's with the iphone5. Connects everytime.

Ixixly
9th Apr 2013, 07:54
I'm a Zulu2 user, had them for over 2 years, only problem I had was a small split in the cable which caused the ANR to cut in and out, this was my fault, a few too many times slamming the cable in a door!! I sent it back and all was fixed under warranty and I had it back within 2 weeks of sending it off (Not bad considering I had to send it overseas and back and it got held up by our stupid customs!!), absolutely nothing but praise for the Warranty Support, fast and easy online to log in, and have them respond within 24hrs with all the details you need to send it off, get it repaired and back to you ASAP.

I've always used Serengetti sunglasses with mine with the nice thin arms and never had a single problem with the seal breaking as I turn my head, I have tried Bose X before and found the earcups to be too small for me, but if you tried them you'll know if thats a problem for you or not!!

Not sure if the A20s come with it or not, but the Bose X Bluetooth could only be used for voice communication, couldn't be used to play music from a bluetooth device (ADSP I think its called?), the Zulu2s can and I've never had any problems connecting from my Desire HD Android Phone nor the Jabra I use to play music via Bluetooth (If you haven't heard of Jabra (http://www.jabra.com/Products/Bluetooth/JABRA_STREET2/Jabra_STREET2), go to that link and have a look, will save you HEAPS of battery life if you're playing music and also saves a lot of effort with the built in controls!), people have commented that me talking to them through my headset over the mobile is very clear and crisp which is great to know you have that backup, I've had to use it twice with radio failures to call the tower so its definitely peace of mind for me!!

Honestly, try and get a hold of someones Zulu2s, or go talk to a shop and see if you can borrow a set to test (Would be nice if you bought from that shop as well after testing it...) and try to decide if its worth the extra $450, I personally don't think the difference in them could be enough for me to warrant $450 more!!

Cirrussy
9th Apr 2013, 09:33
Yep - to add further comments re: the Zulu, all repairs have been on the cable. The cable has split, frayed, made bad connections inside the unit, and finally, one of the jacks split inside the plastic part of the plug.

The cable on the Bose has a bigger diameter and is stiffer and more difficult to control, but the two clips that come with the headset allow it to be clipped to your seat belt and eventually the cable loosens up a bit.

The sound quality through both was great, even for music too - but the Bose does have the edge, IMO.

Customer service from Lightspeed has always been fine, just frustrating having to send something back so often.

Ixixly
9th Apr 2013, 11:22
I feel I should further clarify after Cirrussys' comments, my problem with the cable really came from NOT using the clips that came with it which often left it dangling and when I wasn't watching or not paying attention I closed it in the door a number of times which caused the problems in the end and they still covered it under warranty without a single problem.

Also I used to wrap it tightly around the controls in one particular aircraft to keep it out of the way which, as anyone who has ever done audio/visual work before will tell you, is just not good for the cords!!. I personally haven't heard of others having similar problems, use the clips that come with it and you shouldn't have those same problems.

rjtjrt
9th Apr 2013, 11:49
Regarding where to purchase from in US, Skygeek have prices competitive with Marv Golden, but Skygeek will send stuff cheap USPS (not the expensive tracked USPS). Makes a big difference.
Regarding Zulu vs Bose, unless you are a nit picker, you will be very pleased with either one. Both do the job superbly, so long as battery not flat.
Very much akin to the Piper vs Cessna, Holden vs Ford debate.
John

Xray Tango
9th Apr 2013, 11:56
I have both types, couldn't decide so I purchased both. No decision now, chalk and cheese, the Bose is by far exceptional. But it's more expensive, so spend a little more and buy the best, PS, I have a nearly new Zulu for sale.

Kelly Slater
10th Apr 2013, 02:42
Remembering what opinions are like, I find the Zulu to be slightly more comfortable than the Bose. The Bose has some clamping pressure, all be it very little but this also gives it some passive noise attenuation, the Zulu has no passive noise attenuation but also no clamping pressure and a more comfortable headband. Carry spare batteries for both. Both headsets have impeccable sound and mike as well as the ability to listen to something other than the radios. The Zulu come with a very good case, making it easier to look after them. The Zulus have the boom on the left, it cannot be changed. If you are in the right hand seat or you have centre mounted radio jacks, you will have a cord dangling across your body. If you fly like this all the time, you may get used to it but for me, it is a deal breaker. With Bose, you can change the boom to the right side but you need a screw driver to do it so you wouldn't want to be doing it all the time. Both companies offer impeccable warranty service. I know people who have had faultless service from both headsets and people who have returned their headsets many times. Zulu owners will unplug a Bose headset to use their own and Bose owners will do the same. Zulus are a lot cheaper and Lightspeed has a very good rebate program running where you get a sizable discount if you trade in an old headset. If you are going to purchase a Zulu, purchase it from the manufacturer, Lightspeed. Don't pay $600 for a second hand headset that you can buy new for $700. As stated at the top, this is my opinion, my experience only. If you possibly can, try before you buy.

kellykelpie
10th Apr 2013, 03:21
The Zulus have the boom on the left, it cannot be changed. If you are in the right hand seat or you have centre mounted radio jacks, you will have a cord dangling across your body.

That's not good...

geeup
10th Apr 2013, 05:09
Check out

uflymike.com

With a Bose Q headset.

Leaves the rest for dead :ok:

Helitaz
10th Apr 2013, 07:14
Check out

uflymike.com

With a Bose Q headset.

Leaves the rest for dead :ok:

I had a look at this setup with the qc15, anyone on here have experience with them how do they compare, I'm starting to lean towards the a20s, so many bloody options.

geeup
11th Apr 2013, 06:08
I owned a pair of Bose x11s and worked with guys who run zulu

Zulus caused problems 4/5 had to be returned all fixed under warranty but a hassle.

X11 never missed a beat. I had the cord replaced once due failure it was due to self abuse and Bose replaced it free of charge. Very impressed.:D

Currently running uflymike on a Bose QC15 and will never go back to a traditional headset. :ok:

Helitaz
11th Apr 2013, 08:51
have you used the UFM qc15 in pistons? how do they compare

rjtjrt
11th Apr 2013, 09:56
I have read that the only problem with QC15 is if battery on QC15 runs flat, you loose both ANR but also all sound (ie speakers) dead. So dead battery, hear no radio at all.
I haven't verified that myself.
John

kellykelpie
11th Apr 2013, 21:08
I have read that the only problem with QC15 is if battery on QC15 runs flat, you loose both ANR but also all sound (ie speakers) dead. So dead battery, hear no radio at all.

This sounds right (pardon the pun) as when the power button is off you get no sound at all. Squawk 7600??

Kelly Slater
12th Apr 2013, 02:01
Bose X have a narrow ear cup that make them really uncomfortable for people with biggish ears. The Bose A20 has a wider cup but if you have really big ears they are apparently still bad news.

the_rookie
12th Apr 2013, 05:41
This sounds right (pardon the pun) as when the power button is off you get no sound at all. Squawk 7600??
Why would you want this?

Helitaz
12th Apr 2013, 07:48
How would they get TSO'd if they stop working like that?
Wait, you have to send your QC15 to UFlyMike, and they'll do it for you, for at least another $100.

From what I've read to be TSO'd you are required to use some earbuds which connect to the uflymike setup so incase of battery failure you can still receive radio? Just seems like to much hassle really, I like the idea, looks like a nice compact unit.

kellykelpie
12th Apr 2013, 08:06
Nice idea but not what it's designed for. Go Bose A20 or DCs!

Plow King
12th Apr 2013, 11:34
What about the DC PRO-X? US$637 via the DC website if you can wait until June.

flyingkea
12th Apr 2013, 13:49
I bought the zulu1 about 3-4 years ago, and haven't regretted it once. They are really comfortable, they don't have the head turning issue that I've heard the zulu 2 has, and as I wear glasses I have rather thick fitovers but still doesn't affect the quality of the seal. I use rechargeable lithium batteries in them, they last forever and a day.
I don't put and effort into looking after them, but the cord is still in good condition, earmuffs still look good as new. Comfortable, ANR works really well, and never had any issues (PNR is unfortunately rubbish though).

geeup
15th Apr 2013, 00:04
have you used the UFM qc15 in pistons? how do they compare

No I havnt used it in a piston.

And yes if you battery goes flat you lose all sound however it doesnt just die it is the same as the aviation headset eg solid green light good battery approx 100hrs flashing battery approx 10hrs as it continues the flashes are more constant. Therefore change the battery same as the other headsets. You carry spares for the other headsets why not the QC.

QC takes 1 x AAA battery and lasts longer the the others which take 2 xAA. Batteries take less then 5 secs to replace.

Also I use the QC when dead heading or personal travel.

QCs are half the price half the weight and fit nicely in a nav bag.

I swear by the QCs

Eljay
15th Apr 2013, 13:12
The QC's with UFM are fantastic (surely you can carry a spare battery)
Wife wont use anything else.
I use A20's for bluetooth phone. People tell me they wouldn't know I wasn't sitting at home in the lounge chair, talking to them.
Some friends have Zulu's and keep having to send them back for repair.
Go the A20 if you can afford them or else the QC's.

Helitaz
18th Apr 2013, 01:54
I bit the bullet and decided on the Zulus, I've been using the a20s, and every time I wind up with a headache, may have something to do with my sunnies, that and a few other things that bugged me, got an alright price from the states for the Zs $840 delivered. Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers

Desert185
20th Apr 2013, 14:13
For me, its a matter of comfort and the Zulu wins on just that alone. After trying both the Bose and the Zulu during extended flights, three hours is my limit with the Bose. I have experienced flights in excess of 12 hrs with the Zulu without any discomfort.

Passive mode isn't good on either, so I ensure I have spare AA batts while flying. Add excellent customer service, and Zulu is the clear winner or me.

deadcut
20th Apr 2013, 14:36
Helitaz

Can you tell me where you found Zulus for 840 with delivery? Is that from the light speed website?

Helitaz
20th Apr 2013, 15:18
Yeah mate direct from them, I opted for express post too, so more expensive, when you go to the check out type SPRING in the promo box for the $100 off.

Cheers

seconds
21st Apr 2013, 01:29
There is a secondhand Bose X and Zulu here for anyone wanting to save some money. Headsets « (http://secondhandpilot.com.au/category/headsets/)