PDA

View Full Version : Pay: What Is The Going Rate?

unwise
25th Apr 2002, 20:37
Just trying to gauge atco pay around the major world units. I recently heard that at 31yr old atco at Maastrict with 1 child takes home £4400pcm. An atco at London same age takes home £2775. What about the rest of you folks? This will give us a basis on which to moan instead of guessing how under paid we actually are. :mad:

Yellow Monster
27th Apr 2002, 08:15
Surely the age and number of children an ATCO has are completely irrelevant to what they get paid. Seniority within the company and, in some cases, location are the determining factors.

Pushin_Tin
27th Apr 2002, 08:59
As we too are deep in negociation/barganing down here in Oz, we'd be interested in a salary straw poll.

An FPC Controller in Oz is on a tad over A$100,000 PA (say USA$50,000 or 30,000 Pounds)

How does this compare.......

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Apr 2002, 11:04
I believe the Maastricht guys get very considerably more than that.

The salary one is paid in NATS depends on what pay-scale point one is on and necessarily one's age. I'm a 57-year old "top-of-scale" ATCOII and take home pay for LTCC controllers at that level is approximtely £3,400 per month. There are many "top-of-scale" ATCOs considerably younger than me. The number of kids one has does not, unfortunately, change things!

imnomaverick
27th Apr 2002, 13:10
Pushin Tin,

Your Union has the pay conditions of a number of large organisations to base pay claims on..Just Ask.Otherwise there
are several people in Aus with contacts throughout the world eg.
Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi, Eurocontrol etc. it is not hard to find out.

Heathrow Director,

If you look at the Eurocontrol Website, a lot of positions advertise base plus "Where appropriate , and in accordance with agency regulations, head of household, expatriation, shift, dependant child and education allowances" eg. Air Traffic Flow Controller as advertised on the website 35,492 Euro PA (after tax) plus allowances on top of this.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Apr 2002, 20:24
imnomaverick.. I know; I meant that pay in the UK doesn't usually take account of kids, etc.

375ml
28th Apr 2002, 01:48
It's worthwhile looking at the salaries in context of their advancement structure, and then comparison to the "Average Full-time Adult Earnings" for the country. In OZ, the average adult fulltime worker earns a little over A$40k (say, US$20K). Our exact salaries and structure are reposted below:

(from D&G forum)

The current salary structure has new entrants on $28k moving to $42 for final field training, then $56k upon initial rating (after approx 18 months). Salary is then subject to 12 annual increments up to $105k ($113k in Sydney).

Proposed structure has new entrants on $28k then 4 annual increments all the way up to $49k working as an assistant/trainee until initial rating. First rated salary has been dropped to $50k and there are 11 annual increments to the maximum of $90k. A new classification "Senior ATC" is then available subject to meeting eligability criteria and availability of positions (capped at 40-60% of all ATCs) which provides access to another 4 annual increments to $105k. New entrants can only reach the top salary level after minimum 19 years!

This new classification structure is one of the primary causes of the current industrial dispute at Airservices, despite the impact being only on new employees. Airservices is devaluing the ATC career path, ripping off new entrants but hoping (in vain, this time) to get the 'yes' vote from current staff because they don't get the raw end of the deal.