PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads a minority?

maf
7th Apr 2013, 12:24
Hi

The decision I made to go for a CPL-H/ATPL-H, was made based on several tips, alot of thinking and many conversations with pilots and non-pilots who has a certain clue.
(In the end I really dont care what I fly, be it fixed wing or rotor, just as long as im lucky enough to get a job).

Anyways, the fact of the matter here in Norway is that most people that go for a professional training in aviation, do the fixed wing. (The club chief at Sola Flyklubb where I trained for the PPL-A, keeps joking about how 50 percent of cab-drivers in Oslo have an ATPL-A, just waiting for a job to come by).

So one of the reasons for why im going for a rotor-CPL is based on the fact that theres no shortage of fixed pro`s here, but my question is then:

How is this in Europe or Usa/North America for that matter? Hard to tell or what?

Thanks for any replies:)

madflyer26
7th Apr 2013, 13:18
Maf,

You're probably correct with the figures fixed-wing v helicopter drivers. Come back on here and report how hard it is to get a job as a helicopter pilot when you first try. In the helicopter industry there is way fewer airframes than fixed-wing however you will find there is generally plenty of boots waiting and experienced to fill any job. In Europe your chances of enployment is greater in the fixed-wing industry. If you are willing to shell out a small fortune CPL (H) then ME IR then you have a reasonable chance of employment with the big three North Sea operators. There is lots of experienced guys and gals on here who can give you great advice. Good luck with your choice.
Regards
MF26

GoodGrief
7th Apr 2013, 13:31
In the end I really dont care what I fly, be it fixed wing or rotor, just as long as im lucky enough to get a job.

You might as well fly a blimp then.:ugh:
This is the wrong mindset, you go for what you really want and love and not just for the next foul compromise that gets you off the ground.

What are you going to tell the airline HR guy interviewing you for a job?

206Fan
7th Apr 2013, 14:27
(In the end I really dont care what I fly, be it fixed wing or rotor, just as long as im lucky enough to get a job).

With a mindset like that you won't get to far in Aviation.

paco
7th Apr 2013, 14:38
Anyone can land, then stop. It takes someone special to stop, then land :)

Phil

merlin_driver
7th Apr 2013, 14:59
maf:

I totally disagree with the previous comments that "with that mindset you won't get far in Aviation". You seem to love flying, but are intelligent enough to understand that spending a ton of money on something you "love", but then not finding a job is not a very clever move.

I can tell you that I approached aviation with the same mindset, spent countless hours pushing gliders on the ground just to get a quick ride for free, and would do it all again.

I cannot help you with information about the Civilian European/American helicopter market, because I simply don't know what's happening, but I can advise you to continue looking and asking lots of questions before commiting yourself to a very big decision ($$ wise). I think there is a hard road ahead, no matter what decision you make, so think about building your hours in Norway, while at the same time applying to as many places as you can.

I can tell you that on pprune there is a tendency to be quite negative, regarding any subject, but there are some wise posters who are kind enough to give useful information (paco is one of them). Also, what madflyer26 said, to my knowledge, is exactly spot on.

Good Luck, and best wishes from sunny Portugal to wonderful Stavanger!

Vertical Freedom
7th Apr 2013, 15:10
If you want fame, money & an office job? Then be an airbus, airliner Captain. But? If You wanna really fly??? Then strap on a Rotory-winged machine then pick her gently up off the ground & FLY :eek:

Land Happy Always

VF

206Fan
7th Apr 2013, 15:40
Merlin,

I can assure you I am not being negative. By my statement above I'm just saying you either have a passion to fly Fixed Wing or Rotary. The training is expensive regarding both aspects to flying so you need to know what aircraft type you want to fly before blowing serious money on training!

maf
7th Apr 2013, 17:54
"If you are willing to shell out a small fortune CPL (H) then ME IR then you have a reasonable chance of employment with the big three North Sea operators" -madflyer26

Thanks for the advice. Money is not a big issue.

"What are you going to tell the airline HR guy interviewing you for a job?" - GoodGrief

Same as I told my current employer "Ill do whatever it takes to make your customers happy". The mindset in Norway is very different from places like the U.K, Ireland, Usa and so on. How do I know? Ive met enough people to tell me what its like in other countries, such as your own. Should I perhaps have told my current employer "You aint my dream job, so screw you"??? Of course not.
LOADS of pilots get jobs that are just the next step towards the "big one". You tell everyone youve ever been interviewed by, that this is THE dream job of your life?

I can tell you that on PPRuNe there is a tendency to be quite negative, regarding any subject, but there are some wise posters who are kind enough to give useful information (paco is one of them). Also, what madflyer26 said, to my knowledge, is exactly spot on.
Good Luck, and best wishes from sunny Portugal to wonderful Stavanger!"- merlin driver

You are spot on! Im not gonna spend a ton of money to be a 737 pilot, when I have 3000 unemployed pilots with a 737TR ahead of me not getting a job in Norway or Europe for that matter. I also noticed the negativity here. Thank you for sensible advice!

"With a mindset like that you won't get to far in Aviation" -206 Fan

Yeah.. Good one.. Getting far in aviation has alot to do with money, the ability to adopt and sell your self and work hard, no wait, it has to do with YOU being willing to ONLY take the ONE job you dream about. So if you had gotten a joboffer flying fixed wing Cessna 441s or R22s and that was ALL you ever got youd say "NO". If I know that its either rotary or nothing, then I go for rotary.

Ill tell you about a guy im know who lives not far from me.This guy said no to Air Baltics offer of giving him an Fokker 50 F/os position. The reason: It wasnt his dream job..He tried getting a job in Norwegian, but failed the intake tests.. Now he does not fly anymore..

Thats what you get for having, according to you, "the correct mindset" i.e "Im not satisfied to just get a job as a pilot ,be it rotary or fixed wing, it must be THE job as a pilot.."

That just does not make any sense..

maf
7th Apr 2013, 17:55
@Vertical Flyer: Advice noted! Thanks:ok:

206Fan
7th Apr 2013, 22:32
Well to be fair you need money to get into the Aviation game. No way round that unless a scholarship was available. Staying in the game is as you say above.

Regarding scholarships, check out the Helicentre in Leicester UK.

Helicentre Aviation : Helicopter Pilot Training, Utility, Charter, Tours, Lessons and Gift Experience Flights - UK - Leicester, Midlands and Nationwide (http://www.flyheli.co.uk)

Good luck with your training!

maf
8th Apr 2013, 06:59
@206Fan: Thank you for the tip! I Appreciate it.