PDA

View Full Version : flight diverted cos they didn't like the movie ???

cyflyer
6th Apr 2013, 07:25
is this possible ?

Letter alleges captain diverted plane because family complained about in-flight film (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/letter-alleges-captain-diverted-plane-because-family-complained-184854344.html)

Load Toad
6th Apr 2013, 07:34
Sounds bolleaux to me & can't parents divert their kids attention from a TV screen these days...? No headphones / no noise etc.

cyflyer
6th Apr 2013, 07:50
Just watched a trailer for Alex Cross, ok, its a violent movie and whoever decided to show on a commercial flight should have known better. Was better to stop and replace it with another, whatever. But, to divert a commercial flight, with all the costs and hassles involved........... sheer lunacy. Thats captain sacking material.

Mr Angry from Purley
6th Apr 2013, 08:40
flight diverted cos they didn't like the movie ???

cos or because?.......:\

mixture
6th Apr 2013, 10:54
Two sides to every story.

Hotel Tango
6th Apr 2013, 13:56
My take is that if you have overhead screens you don't show PG or X rated films. (who is going to be responsible for distracting any unaccompanied minors for instance)? The Captain should have instructed the Senior F/A to turn the film off. To divert on "security grounds" was total - but oh so typically American - ott lunacy. As CEO of United I would have no hesitation in demoting the Captain as he's obviously not fit to be one.

Well, that's got that off my chest :)

Big Eric
6th Apr 2013, 14:59
Does anyone know why this ridiculous thread is still in this section ?

Desert185
6th Apr 2013, 15:07
More than likely the crew communicated with the head shed before diverting...standard policy with most, if not all, airlines. Still lunacy, though. The airline world isn't what it used to be.

On a recent flight I asked an FA to ask the captain to cool down the cabin a bit (many were fiddling with their overhead eyeball vents), i.e. hotter than hell with a packed flight. She said the captain was in charge and walked on. If you say much more, you can be accused of harassment and interrogated by law enforcement upon arrival at the gate. Best to record or film the interaction or keep your mouth shut while at the mercy of the post 9/11, authoritarian system. Everyone has rights, but some have more rights than others.

After landing, I asked the cockpit crew if they got my request. No. The wife asked the senior FA if she passed on the message. Yes. Relatively minor, but still :ugh:

Airline travel is generally an irritating inconvenience. Attitudes have changed.

DaveReidUK
6th Apr 2013, 16:55
Other than the details recounted in the passenger's open letter, which obviously only represents one perspective on the incident, everything else is speculation.

United have reportedly chosen not to respond direct to the complainant, insted simply issuing a public statement acknowledging that "United flight 638 from Denver to Baltimore diverted to Chicago O'Hare after the crew reported a disturbance involving a passenger".

While I don't agree for a moment that this thread is "ridiculous", it might be better to wait until some independent facts emerge (if they ever do) before drawing any conclusions.

cyflyer
6th Apr 2013, 17:03
Does anyone know why this ridiculous thread is still in this section ?and pray why is it a ridiculous thread, and in what section would you suggest it to be in ?

cos or because? well Mr Angry, cos, oh sorry, I meant because, we're from the same place and thats how we talk sometimes, innit ? Just 'aving a larf mate.

Big Eric
6th Apr 2013, 19:39
cyflyer, you are missing the point of my previous post - what the heck has this thread got to do with aviation enthusiasts/spotters etc. ?

It does NOT belong in this section, I don't know which section it should be in - but certainly not this one.

Love you too mate.

DX Wombat
6th Apr 2013, 20:46
I don't know which section it should be in
Try LATU :E
Laugh And Tear Up