PDA

View Full Version : Beech Baron "Nose Wheel Up" Landing

Savoia
5th Apr 2013, 10:53
A Beech Baron down under has had to make a 'nose gear up' landing at the airport of Toowoomba:

g5SxTv3uYu8

JSeward
8th Apr 2013, 07:12
A 2012 model one as well!

Eastern_Skyjets
8th Apr 2013, 08:22
reminds me of the C90 that landed at YMMB a few years ago
Emergency Landing at Moorabbin Airport - YouTube

cambioso
8th Apr 2013, 12:43
Why didn't he cut the engines once he had main wheel contact?

Eric T Cartman
9th Apr 2013, 12:27
I wondered the same thing Jez. I watched a Hamble Baron do this at Hurn with 2 studes & an instructor on board during my APR training there in 1975. The instructor held it off perfectly & flicked the props horizontal before the nose settled with the result that there was minimal damage to the aircraft & it was towed off the runway in probably less than 30 mins after the AIB approved its removal.
DJM

cambioso
9th Apr 2013, 22:04
I guess it's easy to be an armchair critic, but, they would have had the luxury of plenty of time to plan the approach and subsequent slide. The aircraft at touchdown still had plenty of speed/elevator authority after an (obviously) well judged final approach.
Just a thought................

Capt Fathom
9th Apr 2013, 23:33
Why didn't he cut the engines once he had main wheel contact?

Maybe he did!

With the speed at touchdown, the props will continue to spin for sometime after the the mixtures are cutoff!

There is no point in feathering a three-blade prop in that situation, because if the blade digs in......:{

cambioso
10th Apr 2013, 00:26
Feathering wouldn't do it.......No time, but cutting the mags would reduce the shock loading wouldn't it?
Anyway don't want to get into an argument, it was just an observation that's all.

megle2
10th Apr 2013, 04:16
Quote - Cut the engines and get the props horizontal!!

Could you explain to all of us how you achieve this with the 3 blades per engine as on this Baron

I understand the procedure with 2 blades

NuName
10th Apr 2013, 09:30
Quote?

Seems to be a combination of two comments, nobody suggested getting the props horizontal in this case, only that it had been done before on a different model, I think we all know you can't do that on a 3 blader :rolleyes:

Armchairflyer
10th Apr 2013, 10:04
Just curious: how does one make the propeller(s) stop in a certain position? Maybe it's just a mixture of my not caring and being underqualified, but I surely couldn't predict the exact final position of the propeller after my flights (luckily, never made any difference so far).

NuName
10th Apr 2013, 10:54
You use the starter motor to shunt the engine to the correct position.

Eric T Cartman
10th Apr 2013, 11:57
NuName - thank you - exactly the point I was making :ok:

Armchairflyer
10th Apr 2013, 12:51
Thanks for the enlightenment!
(Hope I'll never need it in practice though.)

falconer1
10th Apr 2013, 16:13
I would say, what makes a good and safe pilot is to get the priorities in such a situation right...

and in that both crews, the one of the King Air, and the one of the Baron certainly have displayed excellent airmanship....

If anybody thinks it may be a swell idea trying to "safe" the engines by diverting his or her attention during such a landing to shut down the motors and play with the starters to align props....well, sorry then he or she has got no clue whatsoever what the priorities in such a situation are...

may you be so lucky to never a have nose gear failure....I would not like to see "your landing" then....(busy with props and engine controls and so, and maybe stall/spinning the bird in with terrible results...)

The stuff that breaks during such a landing is paid by the insurance...the important thing is to walk away unhurt...

cambioso
10th Apr 2013, 19:58
Read post 4 there's a good chap.
Of course everything you say is correct and professional, and would be generally mirrored by anyone reading these posts BUT.................
I would like to think that it might be a possibility to cut the mags after main wheel contact (nothing else) bearing in mind the relatively simple task faced by the pilot(s) - it's not as if it was on fire, or one of the mains wouldn't lock down etc. That's assuming (of course) they were able to brief in time, and after all of the other safety issues had been covered.
Nobody has suggested that we mere mortals should try the "Shut Down In The Air" technique so ably described by Eric.