PDA

View Full Version : Domestic airlines and commuting

DUXNUTZ
5th Apr 2013, 05:28
Looking at perhaps relocating interstate (Adelaide) and wondering how commuting to Melbourne would go.

Anyone have experience with this?

Macrohard
5th Apr 2013, 17:23
Yeah mate, it's really easy. Done it, so many flights to choose from.
Go ahead, do it, keep the missus happy.
Happy wife .........

VH-XXX
5th Apr 2013, 22:13
So you're talking daily and not weekly?

Lookleft
6th Apr 2013, 00:58
Depends on what sort of flying you are doing? If you are longhaul its obviously going to be much easier than if you are on a roster that is single day trips. One of the issues with commuting is that you are never really "home" as you are either coming or going, never really staying. You are always having to consider which flights you are going to get so that you are not going to miss sign on. Plenty of people have done it but it puts a lot of pressure on the commuter i.e. you.

By George
6th Apr 2013, 10:15
I commuted between ADL and MEL for 15 years and never missed a sign on. It does require some house rules to be successful.

. Always give yourself two flights with known seats.

. If sub-load, carry a full-fare ticket in your pocket at all times.

. In winter, check MEL for morning fog on the TAF and if there, go the night before.

. Keep a low profile, there is always some plonker who will argue it's part of your duty time. The argument that you could have driven a car all night will fall on deaf ears.

. I always said if I spent more nights away, on a monthly basis, than nights at home, I was no longer living in ADL, I was visiting ADL and would give it away.

. It worked OK. Good Luck to you.

catseye
6th Apr 2013, 12:10
commuting on a high frequency route eg BNE-SYD or CBR SYD or MEL SYD is easy. It gets hard for multiple sectors or single operation/day sectors vis ASP-SYD.

Watch the weather and remember if the jet breaks without a duty travel or full fare ticket you are stuffed.
:ok:

DUXNUTZ
6th Apr 2013, 13:25
Thanks for the replies fellas. An option at this stage but worth looking at. Cheers