PDA

View Full Version : AVGAS Supply

dartman2
4th Apr 2013, 23:48
Shell to sell Geelong refinery - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-04/shell-to-sell-geelong-refinery/4609360)

AFAIK this will leave one refinery in Australia that produces AVGAS (BP Kwinana) so expect to see further price increases.

"Sell" is code for "shut down".

Flying Binghi
4th Apr 2013, 23:57
Another union success story..:hmm:

Rich-Fine-Green
5th Apr 2013, 00:05
BP Bulwer Island near Brisbane may start Avgas production if Shell Geelong shuts it's doors.

I once heard this was considered a few years ago when there was some shortages predicted ex-Shell.

In any case, if BP hold all the supply in Australia/NZ then prices may go up anyway.

A Rotax 912 burning 98 ultimate is looking a bit more attractive these days...

Jack Ranga
5th Apr 2013, 00:49
There won't be any shortage of avgas, there's ****loads of it at Whyalla.

Wally Mk2
5th Apr 2013, 00:58
................shortage won't be the issue it will be cost!

I used to work for Mobil for many years in another life & the costs associated with refining where/are horrendous! Supply on demand, Avgas was once held at Tulla as I believe it was an ICAO requirement but it's not been avail there for many years inc Meth-Mix.

Wmk2

Jabawocky
5th Apr 2013, 03:00
I have a feeling Shell Geelong may have not made any in quite a while. Shell have been bringing in by sea and they have had some large quantities of HAZMAT too :ooh: Hard to reprocess.

Created supply problems in Qld last October.

The solution is not too far away. ;)

CharlieCharlie78
5th Apr 2013, 05:30
On a positive note, Whyalla finally got AVGAS yesterday! haha

Ultralights
5th Apr 2013, 05:39
on a negative note, when did cooma have its Avgas bowser removed? landed there over easter weekend for a refuel, nothing but a hole in the ground now. there was a bowser there last time i visited over winter.

CharlieCharlie78
5th Apr 2013, 05:44
I was looking at Cooma a few weeks ago and the ERSA said there was no fuel. Where did you go? Canberra?

Ultralights
5th Apr 2013, 06:02
fortunately have a 35 ltr reserve, and burning 18 ltrs an hour, had plenty to press on to Moruya.

CharlieCharlie78
5th Apr 2013, 07:05
haha I wish! I was burning 120 lts/hr

Flying Binghi
5th Apr 2013, 08:49
via Jabawocky;
...The solution is not too far away.;)

Keep reading that ?

Quiet the mystery...

Jack Ranga
5th Apr 2013, 11:38
Ultralights..........:= I cannot believe that you would simply drop into an aerodrome for gas without ringing and checking 7, 5, 3, 1 day ahead. On the day of flight @ least 3 hours before arrival? What were you thinking mate? Standby for replies questioning your airmanship & general manhood :ok:

P.S. have booked an aircraft especially to fly to Whyalla for fish & chips (and fuel off course)

CharlieCharlie78
5th Apr 2013, 11:52
Jack when you headed here?

Ultralights
5th Apr 2013, 11:55
yes, but forward planning and airmanship ensured i had enough for another 2.5 hrs airborne without touching fixed reserves, so there were plenty of options with known fuel availability :ok: The cooma stop was more a crew defuel stop than a planned refuel stop

Jack Ranga
6th Apr 2013, 11:17
Charlie, been there :E I took the last 32.74 litres ;)

I complemented Whyalla on this BB for it's services to aviation :ok: I was just thinking to myself it was such a good experience that I might return to pump some money into the local community :E

Doesn't matter ultralights := you still didn't ring ahead :=

Flying Binghi
6th Apr 2013, 11:24

...yes, but forward planning and airmanship ensured i had enough ...

Heh, sutble..;)

Arnold E
6th Apr 2013, 11:25
Another union success story..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Wot do you mean by that :confused::ugh:

CharlieCharlie78
6th Apr 2013, 11:27
Howard was still peed off about them deliverying the whole lot to Port Augutta during the week!

Jack Ranga
6th Apr 2013, 11:27
Hey Bingsta, where do you live bra? I'll drop in for some fish & chips, we can chew the fat? You & me & GPS constellations :ok:

Andy_RR
7th Apr 2013, 09:18
The solution is not too far away. ;)

That's right. CASA has plans for the final solution in hand... :}

Jabawocky
7th Apr 2013, 10:49
Sadly ......... you could be correct :rolleyes:

They are in self destruct mode more than ever.

The stuff I heard today is eye watering......and some stems back to the days of the Whyalla prang. More eye watering. Someone should have gone to prison for the obstruction events there.

Even after all this time, the dirty little secrets are still coming out := Unreal stuff.:ugh:

Jack Ranga
7th Apr 2013, 11:14
They stop prangs happening at Whyalla by not selling fuel.

On eyre
7th Apr 2013, 14:24
So JR you had a problem getting fuel - grow up and get over it.

Jack Ranga
8th Apr 2013, 11:39
grow up and get over it.

Give me one good reason why I should grow up? :cool:

I'm over it by the way :ok:

hawkbomber
24th Jun 2013, 03:37
Hi,

Why is that?

Do you know something?

Mr Brewster
2nd Apr 2014, 05:16
Bulwer Is closing. Only WA makes Avgas now!

Jabawocky
2nd Apr 2014, 07:32
Brewster,

Bulwer Island is closing mid 2015.

Bulwer Island does not make AVGAS at all, so no change there.

Shell Geelong still makes Avgas, there were imports at one point I believe but they are still making it, as are BP in Perth. So for AVGAS supplies nothing changes.

Who knows down the road.

:ok: