PDA

View Full Version : I think we all missed this one?

BOAC
4th Apr 2013, 07:57
Incident: Gol B737 at Imperatriz and Sao Luiz on Feb 5th 2013, fuel emergency, landing below final fuel reserve (http://avherald.com/h?article=45ffd451&opt=4096)

GOL flt G3-1742 (737-700) diverts after two g/as and lands with 550kg.:eek:

Sweaty palms (and more)?

BOAC
4th Apr 2013, 09:11
Is that your only 'constructive' comment? What about the logic behind CMR?

Piltdown Man
4th Apr 2013, 09:12
Just for my information, what is a typical final reserve figure for a low weight 737-700? And what were the minima for this approach? And how much fuel might you expect to burn in a go-around?

I find it interesting that the reported met.viz around 22:00, the implied STA, was never less than 9999 and lowest reported cloud (and FEW at that) was 2,300'. Something is not right here.

Callsign Kilo
4th Apr 2013, 09:17
What's 550kg in an NG? 13-14 minutes? Don't the Hydraulic pumps start getting rather hot around that point also ? I'm guessing the go around will burn 2/3rds of this. Final Reserve in the -800 is between 1100-1200kgs.

BOAC
4th Apr 2013, 09:25
PM - probably around 1100kg or less and depending on the pattern, 5-700kg. as 'ballparks'.

METARS are a puzzle, since apart from temp/D Pt/wind there is no sign of 'fog' - and no special at the time of the approaches, but only (an inexplicable one) roughly at the time the jet landed at diversion?

I deduce we are looking at between F/700 and F/1200 for the second g/a. As you say - ????

BOAC
4th Apr 2013, 10:38
About 470km, and which times did you use for that, JH? I would guess about 40-50 mins is right -not that it is significant? A long time, however, to be watching the fuel gauges go down.

Sobelena
7th Apr 2013, 09:33
Hmm, only 8 posts, 4 of them BOAC's. Perhaps HT was closer to the truth then intented!

BOAC
7th Apr 2013, 09:47
I think it just goes to show how 'UK Centric' the forum is. Had this been a UK operator we would be on fire here.

Spitoon
7th Apr 2013, 10:00
Interesting to see that the event got reported by the NTSB (presumably the US one) something approaching two months later.

A (hopefully) proper investigation will provide more information about what happened and adds to the existing knowledge that we have. And may help someone learn something that some day saves their skin or stops them appearing in the wrong sort of stats.

Are things that much different in South America that UK centric people have little interest?

BOAC
7th Apr 2013, 10:15
Exactly, spitoon - I would have thought only 13 mins fuel left in a 737 anywhere in the world would have interested all our 'vocalists'.

Alycidon
7th Apr 2013, 12:14
What's 550kg in an NG? 13-14 minutes? Don't the Hydraulic pumps start getting rather hot around that point also ? I'm guessing the go around will burn 2/3rds of this. Final Reserve in the -800 is between 1100-1200kgs.

From the FCOM 13.20.03

CAUTION: Minimum fuel for ground operation of electric motor-driven
pumps is 760 Kgs in the related main tank.

The operative word here is ground they are cooled sufficiently in flight by the airflow.

BOAC
7th Apr 2013, 14:36
Mods? Jeez! Is this or is it not 'of interest to professional pilots.'?

If you are going move this, surely Safety is a more logical choice than a aircraft spotters forum?

Who was it?

Spitoon
7th Apr 2013, 15:15
I've got to agree with BOAC. This first appeared in Rumours and News but, as can be seen from the posts, did not attract much attention. Surprising, but so be it.

I've no arguments with the mods wanting to move it - it's their train set and they can do what the like with it - but it simply does not make sense to move it the Spectators Balcony. It's just one more increasingly bizarre decision on a site that has rapidly become a shadow of its former self - both in terms of content and the IT perspective - and of less and less interest.

The recent reorganisation of the forums generated some adverse comment and some 'it's only a website' type views. No doubt someone, somewhere sees a benefit from the exercise. I happen to err more towards the 'it weren't broke, so why fix it' view but there are a couple of forums that I used to look at as I browsed down the forums but now seldom go near.

I struggle to understand what future Internet Brands sees for the site but if it's to sell access to a high value user base, it seems to be going off the rails from what I can see. If I am anything like typical, the user base (whether of high value or not may be debatable) is contracting.

Bye.

DIBO
7th Apr 2013, 21:16
The good news is that the Spectators Balcony is getting more intresting by the day.:ugh:

BOAC
7th Apr 2013, 21:36
Indeed DIBO, just as Jetblast often has more intelligent posts than R&N.

Hotel Tango
8th Apr 2013, 11:30
I think it just goes to show how 'UK Centric' the forum is.

I've been saying that for years. Interestingly my earlier post suggesting that this would probably have got a lot more attention had it involved RYR has mysteriously vanished. Strange that. BOAC misunderstood me if he thought I didn't consider the incident newsworthy but now I'd like to think he may understand my cynicism. And finally, it certainly does not belong in Spotters Corner.