PDA

View Full Version : Blood Donation Every 8 Weeks

athonite
3rd Apr 2013, 09:08
I'm a UK civil pilot, as part of a joint study by the Blood Transfusion Service, and the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford, I now give blood every eight weeks, is the interval before flying any different in the UK when donating at eight weeks, and would be interested what the situation is in other countries?

hvogt
4th Apr 2013, 12:48
athonite

As far as I am aware, German law does not dictate a specified interval between blood donations and flying. The decision as to whether (or when) a pilot is fit to fly after having donated blood is basically left to the pilot's own judgement, however medical advice must be sought when there is doubt. Commercial operators must include provisions in their OMs. From what I have heard, some OMs forbid all blood donations, except in cases where near relatives suffer from life threatening conditions and require a blood transfusion. According to posts on German forums, some pilots seem to believe there was a waiting period of four weeks; my impression is this goes into the category of urban legend.

Under section 1, subsection 3 of the German Aviation Regulation (Luftverkehrs-Ordnung, LuftVO) "no person shall act as a pilot [...] while his function as pilot [...] is impaired [...] due to mental or physical impairments." (English translation from ENR 1.1 of the German AIP). As this provision remains rather general, it leaves much room for interpretation. Apparently, there is no precedent with regard to blood donations and the German civil aviation authority, LBA, has not published an administrative opinion. Were it not for the European Aircrew Regulation (see next paragraph), this provision of the Aviation Regulation alone would, in my opinion, require some waiting after blood donations.

The provisions of JAR-FCL 3.040, which have been incorporated into national law in Germany, have now made their way into Part-MED of the amended Aircrew Regulation [Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011], which will apply from 8 April 2013. Under JAR-FCL 3.040(a) and MED.A.020(a)(1) of the Aircrew Regulation, licence holders shall not exercise the privileges of their licences when they "are aware of any decrease in their medical fitness which might render them unable to safely exercise those privileges". In my opinion, this provision does dictate a period of abstinence from flying after blood donations, but the length of such period must be determined based on the circumstances of each individual case, taking into account the instructions and information usually given to blood donors. The relevant AMC1 MED.A.020 calls for (aero-) medical advice when there is doubt.

For commercial operations, EU-OPS 1.085(d)(3), EU-OPS 1.1045 and Appendix 1 to EU-OPS 1.1045 apply. According to OPS 1.085(d)(3), a crew member shall not perform duties on an aeroplane "following blood donation except when a reasonable time period has elapsed". The operations manuals must contain "guidance to crew members concerning health including [...] Blood donation" (EU-OPS 1.1045 and Appendix 1 to EU-OPS 1.1045).

localflighteast
4th Apr 2013, 12:58
In Canada I believe it is 48 hours between donating blood and flying

homonculus
4th Apr 2013, 19:42
I haven't a clue about the bureaucratic mumbo jumbo.

But the risk with a donation is

1. Bruising or other damage to nerves in the arm - obvious to anyone

2. Fainting - limited to no more than an hour after donation

Otherwise removing a unit of blood is physiologically beneficial - our haemaglobin is set too high and reducing it by a couple of units improves blood flow and decreases risk of clots. In practice all this is academic, but it can be argued you are fitter after donation once you have had a cup of tea to replace the volume

I would be interested to be told any logic to waiting 48 hours or indeed waiting at all.

localflighteast
4th Apr 2013, 20:46
I'm just quoting the regs
Didn't say there was any logic behind it :)

I just know because its a question on the PSTAR exam you have to pass before you solo

I think we were given some reason about anaemic hypoxia in ground school

Not that the Canucks will touch my blood anyways !

homonculus
5th Apr 2013, 17:24
Anaemic hypoxia????????

Whoever wrote the regulations needs to sit an exam !!!!!

In fairness I am not sure there is a limitation in the UK - I have never heard of one and I know the Blood Transfusion Service does not routinely say anything. I would be interested if anyone knows otherwise

hvogt
5th Apr 2013, 17:51
In fairness I am not sure there is a limitation in the UK - I have never heard of one and I know the Blood Transfusion Service does not routinely say anything. I would be interested if anyone knows otherwiseIn AIC 97/2004 (Pink 70), the CAA advise pilots "they should refrain from donating blood or plasma if they are required to fly within twenty four hours."

I don't know much about UK law, but it seems following this advice is merely an obligation in one's own interest, as it were.

Dufo
7th Apr 2013, 19:45
Our OM says that 'crew members should not volunteer as blood donors whilst actively flying' ... 'in a case where a crew member was required to donate blood he shall not commence flying duties at least 24 hours after the donation' ... 'shall report to AME.. prior to first flight after the donation'

So not prohibited but.. complicated!

homonculus
9th Apr 2013, 18:33
Wonder what the AME would do if you reported to him?????

If it was my employees I would be tempted to just say no because if someone did get a bruised arm or nerve damage and couldnt fly it would be difficult to have a go at such a good samaritan. The next thing you would know would be a blood donor session in the duty room!!! But practically there is no medical issue otherwise

gingernut
9th Apr 2013, 19:51
Wonder what the AME would do if you reported to him?????

Mine would probably go for a fag, and ask me to ring him in the morning:p

homonculus
9th Apr 2013, 20:46
Gingernut

For the benefit of our American readers, I think you should quickly explain that a fag is a cigarette

Before you lose your license

I recall a UK anaesthetist saying just that one day in Dallas. The Americans demanded his rapid removal......