PDA

View Full Version : New Baron 58 Nose Wheel Collapse YTWB

megle2
3rd Apr 2013, 08:12
This should be interesting
It appears a near new Baron experienced a nose wheel collapse this afternoon on landing at Toowoomba

Edit - Interesting as in a component failure of a new aircraft not a comment on anything the pilot did

C206driver
3rd Apr 2013, 09:04
VH-OMS appears to have been orbiting near twb.
Just unlucky for a near new airplane.

Hasherucf
3rd Apr 2013, 09:11
'Stop, stop stop': Pilot relives the moment he crash landed | Toowoomba Chronicle (http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/pilot-lands-safely-after-landing-gear-scare/1815901/)

Wally Mk2
3rd Apr 2013, 09:25
...................ouch that's gotta hurt! $$$$ & lots of them for the insurance Co.

One often wonders what would we do in the same event, shut the donks down once it's on the deck & leave well alone, it's the age old question that often evokes a strong discussion.
I've not had a single eng failure in 33 yrs except for my very first flight/landing in a C150 just going over the piano keys on landing....phew after a few hrs since the props/donks have kept singin' that song of joy ever since

Personally I would consider stopping the donks once on the deck if they didn't feather upon fuel cut-off such as the plane in question here but not on a feathering system such as a PT6. Edge on the blade is a real weapon with much leverage but face on they generally bend as we see here. Just food for thought not meant to be anything other than an opinion.

Wmk2

3rd Apr 2013, 12:08
"We went through the emergency procedures in the logbook,"

I often wondered why I could not find the EPs in the AFM.

Flying Binghi
3rd Apr 2013, 12:39
...................ouch that's gotta hurt! $$$$ & lots of them for the insurance Co...

Heh, ah can just imagine it. The three TWB workshops all got their tow trucks out on the runway fighting to offer 'assistance'... ;)

Jabawocky
3rd Apr 2013, 17:15
A brand new G58 and the firies sprayed it with foam :{ And no doubt there was nil risk of fire, because if there was it would have caught fire before they actually got there.

If there was no fire, I would stand on top of the thing telling them to bugger off, or be prepared to be sued for a new airframe.

Why do they do this? :ugh:

tail wheel
3rd Apr 2013, 18:16
ZsoqdhpqtrY

Dora-9
3rd Apr 2013, 20:05
I would stand on top of the thing telling them to bugger off, or be prepared to be sued for a new airframe.

Jaba jumping up and down abusing the firies - now there's a thought picture to treasure!!!!

Nice looking Baron, BTW.....

rutan around
3rd Apr 2013, 21:48
Many many years ago a mate of mine had the nose wheel of a C210A refuse to come down after maintenance. ( The LAME had replaced a small bolt- correct PN etc with a new one. Unfortunately it was 1/8 of an inch longer than the old one and no one noticed. No retract was performed- what could go wrong? )

It was a very long runway. The two blade prop was stopped -frowned upon these days I believe- and the plane made an uneventful landing skidding to a stop on it's nose.

My mate looked behind him and saw all these firies bearingdown on him. He jumped out with a tomahawk he used to carry in the plane and gave the firies a traveling sex message. He offered an amateur lobotomy to any one who even thought of foaming his aircraft. They mumbled and grumbled a bit but eventually decided it was better for their health to leave it alone.

With no foam damage and a couple of gear doors replaced the plane was soon flying again.

owen meaney
3rd Apr 2013, 21:59
Some may remember Ozzy Osgood dead sticking a Navajo over the fence at Darwin, he didn't hear the nose gear unlock when he put the gear down. Gear lever up, engines shut down and greased it on. CAA was not impressed

RENURPP
3rd Apr 2013, 22:13
I watched the video, is the elevator near full travel as the nose touches the ground?

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Apr 2013, 22:20
I would stand on top of the thing telling them to bugger off, or be prepared to be sued for a new airframe.

That's what insurance is for.:hmm:

VH-XXX
3rd Apr 2013, 22:23
I watched the video, is the elevator near full travel as the nose touches the ground?

Presumably because his landing speed was as low as possible and it was becoming no longer aerodynamically effective. A perfect result (some would say).

Jabawocky
4th Apr 2013, 00:46
Leafie

so are you going to ask the firies just hang on until I check with my insurance company?

No the insurers WILL NOT replace the airframe, they will just repair the damage and wash it. But if you own that plane ten years later, you would want the insurers to fix it would you not when it looks like a 40 year old plane?

That foam is nasty stuff.