PDA

View Full Version : Which (modular training) conversion route is best to obtain EASA fATPL?

Bearcat F8F
2nd Apr 2013, 11:33
Hi guys,

I currently have an EASA/ restricted FAA PPL and 90 hours TT. I am considering 3 different options to obtain an EASA fATPL.

Option 1) Do everything in Europe

Option 2) Do FAA, convert to EASA

Option 3) Do a Transport Canada ATPL, convert to EASA

I think the latter option is of most interest to me. UK citizens don't require a visa for pilot training in Canada for a certain period of time.

Basically I would like the cheapest, best option. I say "best" because I would prefer a decent quality of training and not necessarily the absolute cheapest option. Once I put my head down to it I will put all the pieces together to come up with the right option.

However for now I would like to find out if anyone has personal experience in obtaining an EASA fATPL with a conversion method of some sort, and what sort of price and training was received?

P.S. For the EASA ATPL exams, I am counting on distance learning - just to take that into account for the pricing aspect of the conversion.

PMs welcome too!

Thanks!

paco
2nd Apr 2013, 11:49
You would have to do al fourteen exams, but the hours would count. I recommend you talk to Adam at Harv's Air near Winnipeg (Harv's Air (http://www.harvsair.com)) - they have some experience of training for JAA/EASA and we support them with training materials

Bearcat F8F
2nd Apr 2013, 12:28
paco, thanks! You are not the first one to suggest Harvsair. I will definitely investigate!

Just a follow up question to my initial post. Is there any operators in Europe flying C-reg and N-reg aircraft which would want someone with a Canadian or US license on top of the EASA one?